Brave new frontier - baby born free of breast cancer gene

timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4232383.ece

"The couple produced 11 embryos, of which five were found to be free from the gene. Two of these were implanted in the woman’s womb and she is now 14 weeks pregnant. "

Mother wanted to guarantee that her offspring would be free of an increased chance of breast cancer due to couple’s genetic makeup.

This is the beginning of a brave new world where it will be seen as inhumane to NOT have your embryos screened for “defect” and then implanted. Insurance companies will either charge a high premium or refuse to insure children of couples who refuse to selectively implant non-defective children.

:twocents:

Why are people interfering with God’s work?

" Insurance companies will either charge a high premium or refuse to insure children of couples who refuse to selectively implant non-defective children."

What is a defective child? Who came up with THAT idea? All children are gifts from God.

While the idea of trying to protect your children from harm is noble, it is best to not interfere with God’s work.

God help us all :crossrc:

I expect that the irony is lost on these people.

In order to save their children from a disease which they might or might not develop (50%-85% chance) or die from, they have killed 6 of their children.

These six had the marker just like his mom, grandmom, sister and cousin. Are they ‘defective’? Would they rather have been killed before they were born?

Doctors say thousands of cases of breast cancer could be avoided by screening embryos using the technique called preimplantation diagnosis (PGD).

Just like Down’s Syndrome, they kill the patient and call it successful treatment. .

Screening embryos is just another name for Eugenics and killing those who don’t measure up.

Wow. I’m sorry but this just seems so wrong. It has the potential to make people look immoral for not screening their children for defects before having them. It has the potential to increase abortion dramatically. Lord help us all! :signofcross: :gopray2:

good work, the child is protected against a small percentage of breast cancers, and a minute fraction of total cancers, and in return, how many human beings were killed? if that is progress, we had better return to the stone age and start over.

[quote=from article]The couple produced 11 embryos, of which five were found to be free from the gene. Two of these were implanted in the woman’s womb and she is now 14 weeks pregnant.
[/quote]

Translation: Nine persons were brutally murdered as the direct result of this screening.

While the article didn’t say outright that the other non ‘healthy’ (their words, not mine) embryos were destroyed, it did say that the couple froze 2 of the ‘healthy’ ones, so I assume that the others were indeed destroyed. That is a tragedy. I don’t understand why the others couldn’t have been placed for adoption, at the very least.

I’m not sure how the system works in the UK, with regards to infertility treatment, but here, with no ins coverage, one round of IVF (that’s roughly equal to 1 month of trying/trreatment) is about $15,000. So unless more ins picks this up in coverage, or it becomes a ‘fad’ of the rich, I don’t see this becoming mainstream.

Also, the article stated that they had removed the gene from their lineage. Not really. Only from their immediate children using this technique. Said children could marry someone with the gene and thus carry it on in the grandchildren (someone correct me if I’m wrong here, it’s been a while) so they’ve really only ‘saved’ this one generation.

Also again, I hope that other diseases were screened for at the same time, or they may have saved them from breast cancer, only to have them die from something else genetic.

A twisty, tricky road all the way round.

If we can find a way to reduce the risk of diseases and the like without destroying human life in the process (unlikely), then I’ll consider it.
Until then… :dts:

Ah, the joys of eugenics. (Sarcasm)

Furthering the goal of the super race. (Not sarcasm)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.