Bread!

Maybe this goes in “Back Fence” or “Water Cooler” but I am in the middle of making bread and just wanted to rave about how amazing it is. If you have never made bread, go make some. There are good thorough cookbooks that tell you everything, and all you need is flour, water, yeast, salt, and maybe milk, eggs, butter or sugar, and a clean table.
Does risen dough remind anyone else of a baby, or am I a bit off here? Don’t worry I know it’s not, but it’s warm and soft… Anyways this is one of those pointless threads. Talk about bread-baking! Has anyone else made sourdough? I’ve just started and hoping it will work.

**I would LOVE to learn!

Teach me! ;):p:D

Though right now our oven smokes…so things get burnt easily. Not the time for trying to bake bread for the first time. :blush:

I was just thinking this morning that I would like to try baking bread! What a timely thread :smiley: Which books do you like?

Hee, hee! I’ve often thought so, too. Warm and soft and sweet-smelling (albeit in a completely different way from a real baby)… And patting the risen loaf is like patting a baby’s bottom, no? :slight_smile:

CatholicSam, as for books, I like Ken Haedrich’s Country Baking:
alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=1364581&matches=7&author=Haedrich%2C+Ken&browse=1&cm_re=workslistingtitle

I love making bread. I learned from my mom when I was little, and when I was a toddler she would set me up on the counter or table and let me punch down the dough. Before I started school, I used to bake a lot of our bread, and for a while was baking two loaves every Saturday. I wish I still had time to do that.

Someone gave us one of those bread machines for our wedding. I’ve never had luck with it and prefer to do it by hand anyway, but DH makes great bread in that machine. He’s on a fresh bread kick so once again most of the bread we eat is homemade. :thumbsup:

Our favorite bread books are the “Breaking Bread with Fr. Dominic” series, written by a Benedictine monk who works as a baker for his monastery. There are three books in all, and many of the recipes are printed for hand baking as well as a machine adaptation. A quick look on Amazon.com indicates that the books might be out of print but you can order through affiliated sellers from that website. If you can get your hands on copies, these are great.

**What is the simplest bread recipe you all know?

I need as few ingredients as possible, to be as cost efficient as possible! And easier on my beginner’s cooking abilities. :thumbsup:

Thanks! :smiley:

I used to make bread from time to time. About 18 months ago, a friend got me into using freshly ground wheat. At first, I was making that by hand, until I learned that I am not a very efficient “kneader.” (After 45 minutes, it still wasn’t enough.) Since I had invested in a wheat mill, I knew I would hardly use it unless I had a bread machine. I love my bread machine! (And I do think that it depends on the machine.) We never buy bread anymore. This tastes so much better and you can’t compare the nutrition at all. I highly recommend!!

Baking bread is so nice on cool days spent at home. But I really mean at home because they require babysitting. I found a very very good whole wheat bread recipe online a few years ago and I make it quite often for dh’s lunch sandwich bread. We both really like it. There is an important difference though-it doesn’t last as long as store bread because it doesn’t have preservatives, so I take out enough slices for one or two days and keep the rest in the freezer. Here’s the website:
thenewhomemaker.com/wholewheatbread1

The first page explains the science behind it. Go to the second page for the recipe. I add more honey than it calls for just for my taste.

Oh and I did try sourdough before. The problem was I didn’t tend to it for months and it went very bad and when I finally had dh dispose of it for me in the garden, he felt very sick from the awful smell. I won’t try sourdough again because I’m not good at tending to small things like that. :blush: If I had left it any longer it probably would have exploded.

What is the simplest bread recipe you all know?

Here ya’ go:

1 pckg (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
2 1/4 cups warm water (lukewarm)
3 tbs sugar
2tbs salt
2tbs vegetable oil
6-61/4 cups all purpose flour

1. in large bowl dissolve years in warm water. Add sugar, salt, oil, and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stire in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough ball.

2. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (really dig into the bread, kneading is an important step) about 8-10 minutes. place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with towl and let rise about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down (just sink a fist into it, don’t really punch it) Turn onto a lightly floured surface, divide dough in half. SHape each into a loaf (flatten into a rectangle, roll up and pinch seam together.)

3. place in two greased loaf pans (seam side down). Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes. bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped… Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

About salt, I know a lot of people don’t accurately measure salt when baking, but in yeast breads it’s important because it acts as an inhibitor for the yeast and prevents it from going ‘too much’.

Here’s the sourdough recipe I used:

Use a container that holds at least 4 cups in volume–non-metal. Leave one cup of milk out on the counter (somewhere warmish, about 80 degrees) in it for 24 hrs (uncovered). Stir in 1 cup of flour. After a day or two it should bubble, rise in volume and smell sour, which means it’s ready to use. Store it in the fridge covered. You can use it right from the fridge or set it out for a day. Use it at least once a week, restoring it to original volume with equal amounts of milk and flour. Drain off a cup and a half and refill with milk and flour every week that you don’t use it.

That recipe is adapted from “The New York Times Bread and Soup Cookbook” by Yvonne Young Tarr, copyright 1972.

Here’s another recipe with water instead of milk, and using yeast also to start it off:

ladiesagainstfeminism.com/artman/publish/Homemaking_and_Other_Practical_Topics_15/Baking_from_the_Last_Frontier_Sourdough1002661.shtml

And here is the simplest bread recipe ever (this isn’t “nice” bread, it’s a sort of pioneer style bread):

Buckskin Bread

Sift 4 cups flour, 2 1/4 tsp baking powder, and 2 tsp salt together into a large bowl. Mix in 2 cups of water briskly. Using your fingers, press the dough into a nine-inch pie pan. Bake 25 minutes (mine needed longer) in an oven preheated to 400 degrees. Cut into wedge-shaped pieces. Serve hot.

That is also from the “NYT Bread & Soup.”

Mine came out sort of lumpy because I didn’t stir it too much, afraid it would be like muffins where you can’t over-stir. It seems that it could do with a fair amount of stirring.

BEER BREAD! (For the kneading-challenged as I am - no kneading required)

Beer Bread (recipe from http://www.recipezaar.com/73440 )

[RIGHT] [/RIGHT]

3 cups flour (sifted) 3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour) 1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour) 1/4 cup sugar 1 (12 ounce) can beer 1/2 cup melted butter (1/4 cup will do just fine)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

[LIST=1]
*]Mix dry ingredients and beer.
*]Pour into a greased loaf pan.
*]Pour melted butter over mixture.
*]Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.
*]UPDATED NOTES: Sifting flour for bread recipes is a must-do. Most people just scoop the 1 cup measure in the flour canister and level it off. That compacts the flour and will turn your bread into a “hard biscuit” as some have described. That’s because they aren’t sifting their flour! If you do not have a sifter, use a spoon to spoon the flour into the 1 cup measure. Try it once the “correct” way and you will see an amazing difference in the end product.
*]The final result should be a thick, hearty and very tasteful bread, NOT A BRICK! ;). [/LIST]

This tip has made the single biggest difference in my baked goods. I don’t know why more cookbooks don’t emphasize this.

You could always get a bread machine. You don’t get the satisfaction of beating the dough or anything, but you do get the nice smell and homemade bread.

I <3 my bread machine!!
Someday I’ll actually do it by hand, but right now my bread machine is a life saver. We’ve been going through 1 loaf a day. It makes very feel sandwiches :thumbsup:
You can even use whole wheat and everything, just need to make sure you have the right kind of yeast.

Here is a very simple bread recipe that is all the rage.

Take three cups of flour, add a quarter tsp of yeast and one and one half tsps of salt. Mix that up. Add one and one half cups of warm water and mix until you get a shaggy dough.

Let it rise for about 12-15 hours.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and fold it over into a round shape. Cover the dough up and let it rise for about 2 hours.

Put a cast iron or pyrex pot into the stove that’s been heated to 450 degrees and let the pot get very hot. Turn the dough into the hot pot, cover it and let it bake for about 30 minutes. Take the cover off and bake for about 15 minutes more.

Voila! Artesian bread with a nice crispy crust.

I heartily concur, one of the most satisfying parts of the general category of homemaking. Kneading is a great stress buster. pay attention to climate, humidity and altitude where you live and ask advice of local breadmakers if you encounter problems. Start with easy recipes. bread machines take all the fun out of it. If I could still eat bread I would make it every week. I miss bread much more than desserts.

Here is a recipe for the rolls I usually make for Thanksgiving. Although this year we’ll be at my sister’s house, and her MIL is going to be the one making the rolls. This one is nice though because you can make the dough the night before and let it rise overnight in the refrigerator.

Title: Refrigerator Yeast Rolls

Description:
This is an easy way to have nice homemade
rolls for Thanksgiving. You can actually make
the dough up to 2 days before baking.

Ingredients:
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
About 1/2 cup butter, cut into chunks
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pkgs active dry yeast (or 2 tablespoons)
3 large eggs
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour
2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Directions:

1. In a small saucepan, warm 1 cup milk over
    high heat until small bubbles appear at
    edges. Add 1/2 cup butter, sugar, and salt.
    Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.

2. Soften yeast in 1/4 c. warm water for about 5
    minutes, till yeast is bubbly.

3. In a bowl, combine milk mixture and yeast.
    Add 2 eggs and beat to blend . Add 2 cups
    flour. Beat at low speed to moisten. Then
    beat at high speed until dough is stretchy, 6 to
    10 minutes.

4. On low speed (or with a spoon), mix in 1
    1/2 c. flour until well blended. Then gradually
    stir in as much of the remaining 1/2 cup of
    flour as dough will absorb. Dough should still
    be soft and slightly sticky. Cover with plastic
    wrap and place in the refrigerator for 4 to 48
    hours.

5. Punch down dough and divide in half. Cover
    half the dough while shaping the remainder.

6. Butter muffin pans (with 2 1/2 inch wide
    cups). To make clover leaf rolls pich off and
    shape dough into 1 inch thick balls. Drop 3
    balls into each cup. Cover lightly with plastic
    wrap.

7. Let rolls rise in a warm place until almost
    doubled, 30 to 45 minutes. Beat remaining
    egg to blend with 1 tablespoon milk. Brush
    rolls with egg mixture nd sprinkle with
    sesame seeds.

8. Bake rolls in 400 oven 8 to 10 minutes, until
    golden. Serve warm or cool.

Number Of Servings:2 dozen rolls

And pizza dough is also nice to make…

Title: Easy Pizza Dough

Description:
This is faster than using frozen bread (and
isn’t so thick and doughy). I bake it in a
REALLY big cast iron skillet that has been
liberally coated with olive oil. You can cook it
on a cookie sheet or pizza stone, or however
you like to do it.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon honey
3 cups all purpose flour
a bit of salt
Olive Oil

Directions:
Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water in a
medium bowl or large glass measuring cup.
Stir in the honey. If your kitchen isn’t really
warm, you can place the yeast near a kettle of
boiling water. In about 10 to 20 minutes, it
should be bubbling like crazy, which is what
you want.

Pour the yeast mixture into the work bowl of a
food processor fitted with the dough blade or
metal blade. Add about 2 3/4 cups flour and a
bit of salt. Process until thoroughly combined.
If necessary, add enough of the remaining
flour, a little at a time, to make a firm but
slightly sticky dough. Turn into a lighly floured
large mixing bowl. Knead all of the flour in.
Knead 3 to 4 minutes until you have a smooth
and elastic dough. Pour a little olive oil on the
dough and turn to coat all sides. Cover with a
warm damp cloth and keep away from drafts.
If necessary you can re-warm the towel in the
microwave for a few seconds. It should
double in size in about 1 hour. You can speed
this up by keeping it near a boiling kettle of
water.

Turn the dough out. If you are going to make
smaller pizzas, divide the dough up. You can
now roll it out, using a little additional flour. Or,
I just press it into the pan, using my fingers.
You will get a less perfect, more "artistic"
loking pizza that way.

If you want, you can also cover the dough with
plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator up to
24 hours.

Cook according to our favorite pizza recipe

I make sourdough almost every day. Just google ‘sourdough starter’ and you’ll get all the info you need. My basic recipe is:

3 cups thin sourdough starter (or 2 cups and a cup of warm water)
2T molasses
2T oil of choice (I usually use olive or canola)
1t salt
2-3T wheat gluten (I use whole wheat flour, this helps it rise better)
1/4-1/2 cup any mix-in of choice, such as wheat bran, ground flax seed, whatever you want
enough whole wheat flour to make dough

Mix it all until you get a firm dough ball, knead a little, oil a pan (or use a bread stone), and let rise until double. I set mine in a partially pre-heated oven (I only turn it on for 2-3 min). Punch down, reshape, let rise to double again, and bake at 350 for 45 min. Cool on wire rack. Best eaten warm with melted butter, lasts for several days.

Sounds harder than it is. Only takes a few minutes to mix in the morning, I punch it down and warm the oven again just before lunch, then it’s ready to bake just before supper for a fresh hot loaf to serve with dinner. Yummy!

I haz a bred mashin. I loves it. :smiley: :thumbsup:

http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/aromatherapy128400733580338750.jpg

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.