Break Up From May Still Intensely Painful

My ex fiance (of nearly six years) and I broke up in May. We had grown apart and she decided that she didn’t love me anymore. While it has been months the pain has barely diminished and is at times worse that when we first broke up. I still often cry myself almost to sleep. I can’t seem to fall out of love with her. She didn’t even always treat me well…I was overly needy myself. And I always questioned whether she really loved me…so its not all her fault. I We have tried being friends but I can’t not hope for more. I have tried dating others hoping to move on…and I can’t yet. We had been engaged since she was sixteen she is now 22. I am 25. She says that she has changed and I have not. But I can’t stop hearing what she told me years ago: “I will ALWAYS love you, and nothing will EVER change that.” I am near tears just typing it. I feel so betrayed. I know she was young…but love isn’t supposed to change… is it? It was supposed to be unconditional. (Sadly, I know I am being delusional, but this is a summation of how I feel, not what I necessarily believe to be the truth.) Please pray for me. I am in agony all the time. Advice is also welcome.

The words she said years ago were an opinion of the time, and love isn’t always love but sometimes mutual atraction and a focus for the dreams for love we have. To lose it is often loss of a dream. From what you describe the relationship was conditional. Your doubts regarding her love were justified. Genuine Love is commitment through good and bad.

Dearest Jesus please gently comfort our friend in his loss and grief. Help him to grow past the dashed hopes and illusions that continue to plague him. Help him to grow towards mature perceptions of relationship, and to find a wonderful girl who will share a healthy equal partnership in mutual trust and mutual commitment.

Please restore our friend, and then help him find a relationship that will constitute mutual happiness and faithfulness.

God be with you, dear friend

May God heal your heart and give you peace.

Thank you again for your prayers! Between this and my legal matters I need all I can get to keep going.

***+JMJTJ+

You will be in my prayers for your healing, peace, and guidance.

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us, so that in difficult moments we might not despair, nor become despondent, but with great confidence, submit ourselves to Your Holy Will, which is Love and Mercy itself. Amen***

Thank you all. Please pray for my ex also. Pray she realizes and appreciates how much I once loved her. Pray she and I at least stay friends and that her lukewarm faith be turned to a passion for the Love of God. (She’s a liberal Catholic and believes in birth control. She also doesn’t always keep the Holy Days and misses Mass sometimes.) Pray she fully forgive me for the mistakes I made while we dated…pray I can forgive her for her faults. Thank you again so much!

Our Father, which art in Heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who tresspass against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
Amen

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.
Amen.

Take this time in your life to honor and meditate on the first commandment, “To love the Lord your God above all things”. Love between humans sometimes changes, in the matter that humans mature or change for one reason or the other. God is wise in giving us this as a first commandment, for He knows how imperfect humans are, therefore it is most important to love God first, built a strong and steady relationship with Him first…Soooo when any human breaks a relationship with us, we are still happy and feeling complete, because God’s love is always enough. My mother broke her relationship with me, because of my love for the Lord. At the begining it was very painful and lonely, but as I meditated day after day on the first commandment and read the psalms, healing and joy set into my heart, and never have I felt so loved and cared for by anyone like now. God bless you.

I pray for peace for you. I hope and pray that you heart will heal and that you can move on.

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary mother of God pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen

Praying for your peace of mind and that God gives you strength and healing.

Praying for peace and healing…and a good and happy future…

My Brother, know that the pain you are feeling is very real and certainly is proof that you are alive. I have been there when my wife and I broke up. It would be easy to say just about anything to you now, but ultimately you must give all power, all praise to the Lord to see you through this!

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed are you amongst women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for our sinners
Now and at the hour of our death
Amen

Prayers promised

My friends,
thank you for your prayers. Things have gotten a little better but some times it still hurts. Please keep praying for me. I still cry frequently over this. Please forgive my selfishness for asking again.

Asking others to pray for you is never selfish, it is reassurance that God’s power is 1st. on your mind! We will gladly continue to pray for you.

My prayers will be for your healing, for your awakening and insight, for your ability to rely on Jesus, our ultimate love. Pray that God’s will be done. Looks like you knew all along in your spirit she might just not be the one. God didn’t intend for us to be alone, so have faith that He will bring the woman of your dreams into your life, one that is evenly yoked with you and one that He picked. When I let go and basically said to the Lord, “Father, my “picker” is broken…I don’t want to do this anymore, YOU please pick for me and Father, please hit me over the head with a hammer, so I know it is YOUR choice, not mine in a person”…he did and I married the man of my dreams. I was, however, willing to accept His Will in this relationship, even if it meant that it wasn’t going to work out - that was the first time, I truly prayed to our Father for HIS will, not MINE be done…and was willing to accept it, rather than make another mistake.

And I agree with some other posters…Love is a choice, not a feeling…and it does stand through ALL storms…we can feel attraction, comfort, etc. in a partner, but to truly love someone, you CHOOSE daily to put their interests OVER your own, even if it means your own disappointment…

Blessings to you - shoot, hon, I know how much this can hurt.

Holly

Jesus please have the most compassionate generosity to our brother. He has been growing in wisdom and understanding, He has forgiven and has sought forgiveness, He prays and seeks Your mercy for others.
I ask You Jesus, to please heal his heart and heal his life. Restore His life Jesus, I beg of You.

Praying For You To Heal
Grandma Glor

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.