Breakdown of the Commandments

My friend emailed this to me and I don’t know how to respond back to him. So can someone help me out.
Thank you
Mark

Moses brought down from Mount Sinai ten very specific commandments. This is clear from the standpoint of the Hebrew people and their writings / documentation for several thousand years. The Hebrews (and later the church) simplified each commandment into a summary form. So we know what they considered to be the core ten statements and those come from Exodus 20. The second commandment is also restated in Duet. 5:8 “You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God.”

One could argue that the 2nd commandment isn’t really a commandment and that the 10th commandment is two commandments. But that would be in disagreement with Hebrew scholars from the time of Moses and in disagreement with traditional Christianity–even including Roman Catholic church documents in the first few centuries. I understand the point that Catholic writers have made about Deuteronomy and the idea that the breakdown is open to interpretation. But remember that God gave us the ten commandments. Exodus is the place where the Bible’s narrative first gives those commandments. Deuteronomy restates most of that original narrative as Moses stands before the people to remind them. As you know, all of us as Christians receive our heritage and the teachings of the Old Testament directly from the Hebrew / Jewish people.

Having said that, this is all very interesting for dialogue purposes, but the bottom line is what the Bible says is required in eternity is a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ! None of us can measure up to the holiness and perfection of God. We’ve all broken the commandments–anyway you want to state them! If we’re honest, we’ve all committed some form of idolatry (putting ourselves or anything else before God) in various ways and that’s the root of what our sinful nature has brought. The Law is what helps us understand our sinfulness and why we need Jesus to die in our place, to pay the penalty for our sins! Amen?

Check out these verses, a few of my favorites which are very clear about salvation and eternal life:
Romans 3:10 "As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one; There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God. They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one."
Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Eph. 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."
Titus 3:4-7 "But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life."
1 Timothy 2:5 "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."
Rev. 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.”
[size=]1 John 5:13 “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.” (not think so, hope so, maybe, could be, probably…)
[/size]Rev. 20:15 If anyone’s name was not found written in the **book of life, **he was thrown into the lake of fire.
[size=]Rev. 22:17 “And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.”[/size]

The first part of your friend’s comments is geared to confuse Catholics about the issue of our using statues and other sacramentals in our devotions. It is a smoke screen. The “commandment” about idols is a part of the first commandment, that tells the people that there is only one God not many that they are to worship. Statues at the time were of these other gods not of Jesus and the Saints. Catholics do not worship idols, we worship only God in Christ and reverence the Saints.

The rest is the standard “leading a sinner to a personal experience of Christ to get him saved” string of pearls approach to biblical interpretation. It is not a valid way of looking at the Bible nor of salvation. It is instead a carefully crafted attempt to get Catholics to deny their faith and become fundamentalists. Hardly a worthy endeavor for any Christian to be undertaking.

There are numerous threads where most of these views are discussed at length. Here’s one which will probably help you. forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=39502

Also, on the Catholic Answers home page (not the forums home page) there are quite a few tracts there dealing with these same issues that you can read and./or print.

Hope this is of some use to you in replying to your friend.

[quote=Della]The first part of your friend’s comments is geared to confuse Catholics about the issue of our using statues and other sacramentals in our devotions. It is a smoke screen. The “commandment” about idols is a part of the first commandment, that tells the people that there is only one God not many that they are to worship. Statues at the time were of these other gods not of Jesus and the Saints. Catholics do not worship idols, we worship only God in Christ and reverence the Saints.

The rest is the standard “leading a sinner to a personal experience of Christ to get him saved” string of pearls approach to biblical interpretation. It is not a valid way of looking at the Bible nor of salvation. It is instead a carefully crafted attempt to get Catholics to deny their faith and become fundamentalists. Hardly a worthy endeavor for any Christian to be undertaking.
[/quote]

Hi Della, You think the 10 commandments are not a valid way to bring sinners to Christ, WOW!!! Are you being mislead.Talk about a smoke screen. :eek: God Bless

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Hi Della, You think the 10 commandments are not a valid way to bring sinners to Christ, WOW!!! Are you being mislead.Talk about a smoke screen. :eek: God Bless
[/quote]

I reread her post and don’t see where she said or implied that. Looks like you’re trying to put words in her mouth (or post).

[quote=geezerbob]I reread her post and don’t see where she said or implied that. Looks like you’re trying to put words in her mouth (or post).
[/quote]

Oh Geeze,I,m wrong again. :smiley: God Bless

I have to admit some confusion. I didn’t find anything against the Catholic faith in the orginal post. Was I supposed to?

I believe the only way to the fullness of eternal life is to have a personal relationship with God. I believe Jesus is the way to accomplish this. I was born and raised in the Catholic faith and I continue practicing it today because doing so seems part of following those beliefs. It certainly can be admitted that not all Catholics practice their faith in the ideal way (me included). In fact it is virtually certain that no one does. But that doesn’t mean we should throw it out. It is still the best way to reach that relationship with God.

peace

-Jim

[quote=markguitar_1]My friend emailed this to me and I don’t know how to respond back to him. So can someone help me out.
Thank you
Mark

Moses brought down from Mount Sinai ten very specific commandments. This is clear from the standpoint of the Hebrew people and their writings / documentation for several thousand years. The Hebrews (and later the church) simplified each commandment into a summary form. So we know what they considered to be the core ten statements and those come from Exodus 20. The second commandment is also restated in Duet. 5:8 “You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God.”

One could argue that the 2nd commandment isn’t really a commandment and that the 10th commandment is two commandments. But that would be in disagreement with Hebrew scholars from the time of Moses and in disagreement with traditional Christianity–even including Roman Catholic church documents in the first few centuries. I understand the point that Catholic writers have made about Deuteronomy and the idea that the breakdown is open to interpretation. But remember that God gave us the ten commandments. Exodus is the place where the Bible’s narrative first gives those commandments. Deuteronomy restates most of that original narrative as Moses stands before the people to remind them. As you know, all of us as Christians receive our heritage and the teachings of the Old Testament directly from the Hebrew / Jewish people.

Having said that, this is all very interesting for dialogue purposes, but the bottom line is what the Bible says is required in eternity is a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ! None of us can measure up to the holiness and perfection of God. We’ve all broken the commandments–anyway you want to state them! If we’re honest, we’ve all committed some form of idolatry (putting ourselves or anything else before God) in various ways and that’s the root of what our sinful nature has brought. The Law is what helps us understand our sinfulness and why we need Jesus to die in our place, to pay the penalty for our sins! Amen?

Check out these verses, a few of my favorites which are very clear about salvation and eternal life:
Romans 3:10 "As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one; There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God. They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one."
Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Eph. 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."
Titus 3:4-7 "But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life."
1 Timothy 2:5 "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."
Rev. 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.”
[size=][/size]
[/quote]

Hi Mark, The 10 commandments are clearly written in the Bible.The problem is how man copies them down. :confused: God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.