Breaking: California Supreme Court legalizes gay marriage

Here’s the opinion.

BECOMES SECOND STATE TO LEGALIZE HOMOSEXUAL UNIONS…

AP story

A bullet-point background from the WS Journal

yessssssss :slight_smile:

Even if they didn’t legalize it, there was always the 9th Circuit. :mad:

Last I checked, it’s up to the legislatures to make laws, not the courts. At least, that’s how it’s supposed to be in our form of government. :mad:

But you’re forgetting that we need enlightened activist judges to save us from the oppression of democracy. Why, without these judges creating new laws for us, the people might actually get to decide these issues. :rolleyes:

How silly of me to forget that.

What a sad day :banghead:
Here’s the story from the LA Times:

latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gaymarriage16-2008may16,1,4027698.story

SAN FRANCISCO – -- The California Supreme Court ruled today that same-sex couples should be permitted to marry, rejecting state marriage laws as discriminatory.

The state high court’s 4-3 ruling was unlikely to end the debate over gay matrimony in California. A group has circulated petitions for a November ballot initiative that would amend the state Constitution to block same-sex marriage, while the Legislature has twice passed bills to authorize gay marriage. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed both.

The long-awaited court decision stemmed from San Francisco’s highly publicized same-sex weddings, which in 2004 helped spur a conservative backlash in a presidential election year and a national dialogue over gay rights.

Let us pray for their conversion.

Paul

Is there anyway this can be overturned? I read that it may very likely go to the Supreme Court. If we get a Democratic White House, House and Senate, then we will have ultra liberal judges appointed, and this could very well become the law of the land. Will it then be against the law to speak out against homosexuality as a sin? Will they close down the churches as dens of intolerance and hatred? Sorry, I hope I’m just getting carried away. :blush:

Mary

I am glad it is overturned. This is great news. :thumbsup: :cool: Allowing those of the same gender to get mutually beneficial legal benefits and recognition has no effect on different gender legal unions.

Great news!!! As I understand it, it was overturned on the basis of “equal representation under the law”…and that is how it will be approached in every other state eventually. Equal access.

State by state. Great news indeed! Some Friends in San Francisco have worked hard to see this law over turned. As I understand the hundreds of marriages Gavin Neucomb performed several years ago will be declared legal.

Disappointing, but not surprising. :frowning:

This is about much more than getting benefits. This is about the children. Children need a mother and father in a loving home, not two same sex parents. This is as serious as legalized abortion. There is a reason why God made marriage between a man and a woman, but our society has thrown that truth out the window, and we will all pay a price for it.

“Pro-family” organizations have submitted more than 1.1 million signatures for an initiative that would amend the state Constitution to outlaw same-sex marriage. If at least 694,354 signatures are found to be valid, the measure would go on the November ballot and, if approved by voters, would override any court ruling in favor of same-sex marriage.

blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/05/15/pre-gaming-the-california-same-sex-marriage-ruling/?mod=WSJBlog

Where did you read that?

The California Supreme Court is the final arbiter on whether a law violates the California constitution. The US Supreme Court can rule on whether a California law violates the US Constitution, but no one has made such a claim.

Voters may have a chance to amend the California Constitution this fall.

[quote=LRThunder]Even if they didn’t legalize it, there was always the 9th Circuit.
[/quote]

Not sure what the 9th Circuit has to do with this, since marriage is a matter of state law.

Our family values just took a hard left turn into the toilet. God help us…Roanoker

I just heard, and as a Californian I’m ecstatic!

It’s about time if you ask me.

We have absolutely NO right to impose our religious views on the populus at large.

The last place in the US this would pass is the South lol…God love the Bible Belt…even though some of those people scare me since they hate Catholics too. Anywho

The Church is already hated b/c of it’s anti abortion stance and yes…the Church will be attacked by this ever growing liberal culture for not approving of the ACT of homosexuality.

There have been several prophecies regarding the Church by people like Nostradamus and St. Malachi…that the Church will be attacked and driven underground in the last days by the people who do not agree with their doctrines.

Let’s hope that is not going to happen in our lifetime…but i’m seeing a trend.

It was in the CNN Story - cnn.com/2008/US/05/15/same.sex.marriage/index.html

To quote from the story: “An appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court is likely. The federal high court has never addressed the question of same-sex marriage.”

1. The plaintiffs were very careful to ONLY appeal to the California STATE constitution, so this will not go to the federal supreme court (they have no jurisdiction).

2. The ONLY way to appeal this decision is to amend the state constitution, about which our Republican governor just stated that he “will uphold the court’s ruling and will NOT support any proposal to amend the constitution”.

So it seems this isn’t going away, that is unless a very theocratic-minded governor is elected next (which is not likely).

The US Supreme Court has refused to hear any appeals with respect o Massachussetts (which was the first state to legalize gay marriage) so I doubt they will hear any whining from California.

Same-gender couples have shown themselves to be able to raise perfectly normal children either through adoption (which Catholic Charities should still allow :frowning: ), or other ways.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.