BREAKING: Ky. governor orders clerks’ names removed from marriage licenses

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Governor Matt Bevin on Tuesday (Dec. 22) ordered the removal of the county clerks’ names from state marriage license forms that are at the center of a controversy over Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis, who was jailed after refusing to issue licenses to gay couples.

“To ensure that the sincerely held religious beliefs of all Kentuckians are honored, I took action to revise the clerk marriage license form,” Bevin said in a statement.

Lawyers representing two same-sex couples and two opposite-sex couples challenged her action. U.S. District Judge David Bunning ordered Davis, 50, to issue the licenses and then jailed her after she refused.

religionnews.com/2015/12/22/breaking-ky-governor-orders-clerks-names-removed-from-marriage-licenses/

I don’t even understand what this does. If the clerk is concerned about participating in sin or something like that, how would the name being removed change that?

Well, if I was a clerk and forced to issue certificates to gay couple, I would most certainly not want my name on that document, a document that most couples cherish all their lives.

If they feel they have to put their name on it, they may feel they are aiding and authorising the marriage to go forward.

Good move. Not to overstate the obvious, but I assume these state sanctioned licenses (issued without the clerk’s name) satisfy all legal requirements. Everybody is happy. Just in time for Christmas.

:wave:

Yeah but simply agreeing to issue a marriage license to a gay couple, regardless of whether or not your name on it, is aiding and authorizing the marriage to go forward and is participating in another person’s grave sin and is a grave sin in and of itself. So really, this law doesn’t do a whole lot to protect religious liberty.

Maybe if their name doesn’t have to be on the license, means they de facto don’t have to issue them, but I’m not sure.

From a Catholic standpoint, I’m not sure. A lot of what sin is depends on intention and knowledge.

If people are doing it under duress of losing their job, then circumstances may change.

But I welcome the governor’s move. I’m tired of gay rights activists (many of whom are straight) using the issue to club the religious freedom of Christians.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.