Breaking: Military recruiter murdered in Arkansas

A gunman with an assault rifle targeted a military recruitment office today in Little Rock, Arkansas, killing one of the recruiters and wounded another. Police arrested a suspect, but details are still sketchy:

One Army recruiter was killed Monday and a second was wounded in a shooting at a recruiting office, and a suspect was arrested, police said.
Police Lt. Terry Hastings said the recruiter was shot when a man in a black SUV opened fire on the office in west Little Rock at about 10:30 a.m.
The vehicle was stopped on Interstate 630 a short time later and a suspect was taken into custody. Hastings said the suspect pulled over and surrendered without incident.
Police said they found an assault rifle in the vehicle.
More here from KATV:
Authorities say the incident occurred around 10:00 a.m. at a U.S. Army Navy Career Center inside the Ashley Square Shopping Center at 9112 North Rodney Parham Road. According to Lt. Terry Hastings with the Little Rock Police Department, two enlisted soldiers standing outside the office were hit when the unidentified suspect drove up and began shooting.

Both of the wounded were taken to a nearby hospital, where one of the victims died a short time later, according to police.
hat tip

Added: From Associated Press;
Recruiting commander Lt. Col Thomas F. Artis says the victims had just completed basic training and were spending two weeks in Little Rock to recruit in their home area, showing the difference that less than two months of training made in their lives.
From Star Tribune;
Hastings said he did not know whether the recruiting office was specifically targeted or was randomly chosen.
Hastings said shortly after noon that investigators had not yet questioned the suspect and that police were still processing evidence from the crime scene.
From Navy Times;
Neither the victims nor suspects were named by authorities.

What a terrible tragedy. My prayers go out to both of these two young men and their families. :frowning:

Let’s see which the MSM reports more on. The dead military recruiters or the dead abortionist.

I just heard on the news that the suspect was captured:

Source: katv.com/news/stories/0609/627959.html

Soldier Killed in West LR Shooting Identified

Little Rock - Authorities have identified the soldier killed in Monday’s double-shooting outside a U.S Army recruitment office in west Little Rock.

According to Pulaski County Coroner Garland Camper, 23-year-old William Long of Conway died shortly after being transported to a Little Rock hospital.

Police say the incident occurred around 10:15 a.m. at a U.S. Army Navy Career Center inside the Ashley Square Shopping Center at 9112 North Rodney Parham Road. According to Lt. Terry Hastings with the Little Rock Police Department, two enlisted soldiers standing outside the office were hit when an unidentified suspect drove up and began shooting.

Hastings identified the other wounded soldier as Quenton Ezeagwula, age unknown. He remains at a local hospital.

The suspect led police on a brief pursuit towards downtown Little Rock, before being taken into custody in the area of the Interstate 30/630 interchange. Authorities searched the vehicle and found an assault rifle, Hastings said. A bomb squad was called in, as police were concerned about two bags in the vehicle, but no explosives were found, he said.

Hastings said a little after noon that investigators had not yet questioned the suspect. Police were still at the recruiting office processing evidence from the crime scene.

Police are trying to determine a motive in the shooting. Hastings said he did not know whether the recruiting office was specifically targeted by the attacker or randomly chosen.

The FBI (web) (web) has opened an investigation into the incident, said Steven Frazier, spokesman for the agency’s Little Rock office. “Based on what we find, we will determine whether there is any federal jurisdiction to prosecute,” he said.

According to Army Lt. Col. Thomas F. Artis, Long and Ezeagwula were not recruiters, but part of a recruiting program called “Hometown Recruiting Assistance.” Artis says recruiters use soldiers to tell their stories and talk to potential recruits while they are visiting or based back in their home region.

Long and Ezeagwula were just out of basic training, Artis said, and had not been deployed.

Little Rock police have scheduled a press conference for 5:00 p.m. to update reporters on the investigation.

Edit:

More information:

todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=85963&catid=238

Edit 2: @Moderators: Thank you for moving my post! I didn’t see this one. Thank you! :slight_smile:

President Obama spoke out on the Dr Tiller murder but I haven’t heard him say anything about the military recruiters :frowning:

In fairness, we don’t yet have information that the shooter here was a long time member of anti-war groups, Iraq protest groups or even more ironically, pacifist groups.

On the other hand, maybe THAT says something too. How many reporter hours have so far gone into digging up the background of Dr. Tiller’s killer versus the amount of time looking for background on this shooter? Too bad you can’t Google THAT. Wouldn’t it be interesting if he ended up being a MoveOn.org groupie…

The story is only a few hours old. But the victims are not (in)famous, as was Dr. Tiller, so maybe their deaths will receive less attention. That said, this is a terrible tragedy. I pray they are rewarded for their sacrifice and that their families find comfort.

No, but we have this so far…

Police say the suspect, Abdulhakim Margahid Muhammad, also known as Carlos Bledsoe, is believed to have been specifically targeting military personnel. Authorities say Muhammad apparently acted alone in the shootings. He is being charged with one count of Capital Murder and 15 counts of terroristic threatening. Police searched Muhammad’s apartment off Mara Lynn Drive Monday afternoon, seizing evidence related to the shooting.

Unfortunately, a person doesn’t actually have to be connected to a group in this day and age. The internet makes it very easy for “individuals” to operate and find information without being immediately noticed. I wouldn’t be surprised if the suspect’s personal ideology was fermented through the internet through websites that catered to his world view.

So I’m sure Obama will quickly have U.S. marshalls protecting recruiting centers, right? Oh, you mean he only has them protecting abortion clinics you say?

A Muslim convert who said he was opposed to the U.S. military shot two soldiers outside an Arkansas recruiting station, killing one of the soldiers, police said Monday.
“This individual appears to have been upset with the military, the Army in particular, and that’s why he did what he did,” Little Rock Police Lt. Terry Hastings said in a phone interview.

“He has converted to Muslim here in the past few years,” Hastings said. “To be honest we’re not completely clear on what he was upset about. He had never been in the military.”

Hastings identified the man in custody as Carlos Bledsoe, 24, of Little Rock, who was going by the name of Abdul Hakim Mujahid Muhammad. He did not have further details. The names of the soldiers were not released, nor was the condition of the wounded soldier.

usatoday.com/news/military/2009-06-01-army-recruiter-killed_N.htm?csp=34

Breitbart reports that Bledsoe aka Muhammad will get charged with one count of murder — and 15 counts of terrorism.

ABC News says Muhammad traveled to Yemen using a Somali passport.

ABC News reported:

The suspect arrested in the fatal shooting of one soldier and the critical injury of another at a Little Rock, Ark., Army recruiting booth today was under investigation by the FBI’s Joint Terrorist Task Force since his return from Yemen, ABC News has learned.

The investigation was in its preliminary stages, authorities said, and was based on the suspect’s travel to Yemen and his arrest there for using a Somali passport.

The suspect, Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad, 24, had changed his name from Carlos Leon Bledsoe after converting to the Muslim faith.

Law enforcement sources said he offered no resistance when Little Rock police arrested him today.

I haven’t heard one report from CBS, I guess since one of the soldiers was black and the shooter was black they think it is only another black on black crime. :mad: and the white dude(soldier that died) just got in the way. :shrug:

A small sidewalk memorial with flags, flowers and miltary patches has been slowly growing…

May we all pray for the soldiers, their famlies and their buddies…

The MSM has got priorities you know… and our soldiers are not one them… :frowning:

Unless one of them loses it and start shooting people…

The shooter admited to the shootings and that he did it because they were soldiers as revenge for what the US Army has done to muslims.

He pleaded innocent in court today.

The Little Rock Muslim community stepped up to plate comdemning the coward’s actions. The soldiers were unarmed…

Attorney General directs U.S. Marshals to protect abortion clinics after murder of abortionist – but not recruiting centers after jihad murder of soldier

Priorities.
“Attorney General Directs U.S. Marshals to Protect Abortion Providers After Murder,” from FoxNews, June 1 (thanks to Minuteman):
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder dispatched the U.S. Marshals Service to protect “appropriate people and facilities around the nation” in the wake of the murder of late-term abortion provider Dr. George Tiller in Wichita, Kansas on Sunday morning…
But no word on protecting military recruiting centers in the wake of the jihad attack in Little Rock.

I’m not sure what CBS has aired, because I rarely watch television. But this was on the CBS News website:

cbsnews.com/stories/2009/06/02/national/main5056232.shtml

Still waiting…

OK, now there is enough information out there to say it!

Why hasn’t anybody denounced MoveOn.org, Cindy Sheehan or any of the myriad of anti Iraq war protest groups of inciting this violence against the US military?

Why the hypocrisy?

Aren’t the SAME people who are saying that Tiller’s murder is the fault of pro-life group rhetoric (using the words ‘murder, genocide and killing’) horrified when rednecks suggest that all muslims are suspect because of 9/11?

Pot, meet kettle.

I don’t think that they have anything to do with the scout people. Might be some other reason.

with a twist provides information on lots more on whats happening around the globe; more on this and other top news updates.

Have any of these persons or groups called for the assassination of US military members?

We’ve had pro-lifers right here on CAF claim that killing abortionists is justifiable murder. That is the sort of rhetoric which leads to actual crimes.

Dale, I have no objection to denouncing that sort of phony pro-lifer. I denounce them myself. They’ve fallen for the culture of death mentality that you can solve society’s problem’s by killing the problematic people.

What I HAVE heard is that pro-lifers are responsible for Tiller’s murder because we’ve shown the public pictures of what abortion is, we’ve called it murder and genocide, we’ve dared to say that 50 million babies have been killed in their mother’s womb’s since 1973 in America alone. Just by telling the truth about abortion, I’ve been told that I contributed to Tiller’s murder.

Turnabout is fair play. Those who bathe themselves in fake blood and decry the tyranny and terror taught at the “School of the Americas” (no longer actually called that) must be equally responsible for these recruiter murders, right? Strangely, I haven’t heard this said. When MoveOn.org claims that the US military has killed 500,000+ Iraqis they’ve made themselves accomplices to these murders, right? Silence in the media. Isn’t that an equal incitement?

By any measure, it is. But pro-lifers must be held to a different standard. Any lunatic who opposes abortion and does something evil is instantly held up as the poster-boy of the whoel movement. Martin Luther King received the same sort of false accusations of blame for black violence during the civil rights era. It’s the same same kind of slander.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.