Breaking News: Four people hurt in Albuquerque Catholic church stabbing

Four people hurt in Albuquerque church stabbing

Los Angeles Times
38 minutes ago

lh4.googleusercontent.com/-QcNpkQ0nOu8/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAAA/43P0CiOfEVY/s32/photo.jpgWritten by
Matt Pearce

At least four people were hurt at an Albuquerque church Sunday when a visitor jumped out of the pews and stabbed a choir member during a song, police and witnesses said.

Another parishioner, Vanessa Lucero, 14, told The Times she was sitting right behind the man, who “was kind of twitchy, sketchy looking. He had a tattoo of an upside-down star on his wrist.”
Lucero said the man climbed over the pews, punched and then repeatedly stabbed the choir’s lead singer.
"He said, like, ‘False preacher!’ " Lucero said. "I don’t know why.”
The congregation subdued the attacker, at which point more parishioners could have been stabbed, Stinson said.

Thank God no one got killed!

Well, I’m glad they got him under control before he killed someone.

Amen to that Church Militant!

That said, I am really curious as to what his motives were. I read the article and the article said that his motives are not yet determined. I noticed that they said he had a tattoo of an upside down star on his wrist which I don’t know for sure, but I think it may have been this symbol:

http://www.spellsandmagic.com/down.jpg

I am not entirely sure but I think that is an Occultic symbol. Whether or not that has any bearing as to what his motives were I have no idea.

Also, from the description of his behavior and the things he said, I honestly wonder if he isn’t seriously mentally ill. But then again, all of this is just speculation. I do hope that justice is served and I also hope he repents.

This is my Parish. Some wonderful people got hurt today and not just those who were stabbed. This happened at the children’s Mass and I ask that you all pray for them as well as the victims and the perpetrator.

I will definitely pray for everyone.

That said, were you at Mass when this occurred?

So sorry…the poor children.

Amen. It must have been pretty traumatizing for them. :frowning:

I would say the man is probably schizophrenic.

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our safeguard against
the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
by the power of God,
cast into Hell Satan and all the evil spirits
who prowl around the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen. :crossrc:

Mental illness is one possibility, another could be occult involvement with or without drug abuse that could’ve fried the perp’s brain. May God grant him conversion, repentance, and release from Satan’s grip.

May God give all the victims and frightenened spectators peace and healing.

That definitely seems like it could be a possibility and I sincerely hope that no one takes my statement to mean that all schizophrenic people are violent because that is definitely not the case. I have one friend whom I know is schizophrenic and he is by no means violent. And besides, if all schizophrenic people were violent then this world would be a much more violent place.

Amen.

I also agree with your assessment. It could be mental illness and it could also be Occult involvement with or without drug abuse. I sincerely hope this man is not involved in the Occult.

FWIW, I’ve seen this happen a couple of times in my parish. (Not the stabbing, but a strange, unknown Mass attendee go completely unhinged).

Sadly, it is usually associated with the occult.

That symbol is definitely bad. It’s an upside-down pentagram, used by those who are involved in the “dark” arts. Those who consider themselves practicers of “good magic” use the one-point-up pentagram. Just like Satanists use an upside-down cross to mock Christian symbolism, “bad witches” use an upside-down pentagram as a form of mockery towards “good magic.” Of course, lots of poseurs and dabblers use the symbols, too, so it’s not necessary that this was some kind of Satanist attack. But it’s a definite possibility. I also agree with the mental illness speculation (not to say that this is normal behavior for the general populace of mentally ill people, though).

Praying for this parish and those affected, for sure!

Thank you for the prayers. No I was not at that particular Mass.

Statement by Archbishop Michael J. Sheehan on April 28, 2013 Incident at St. Jude Thaddeus Parish, Albuquerque

ALBUQUERQUE, NM – April 18, 2013 - IMMEDIATE RELEASE—I am deeply saddened by the incident that took place this morning during the 11:00 a.m. Mass at St. Jude Thaddeus in Paradise Hills, Albuquerque.

A man in his early twenties attacked several choir members with a knife before being apprehended by an off duty police officer and others. This is the first time in my 30 years serving as Archbishop in the Archdiocese of Santa Fe and as Bishop of Lubbock, that anything like this has occurred. I pray for all who have been harmed, their families, the parishioners and that nothing like this will ever happen again.

St. Jude Thaddeus Parish is a vibrant community led by an excellent pastor, Father John Daniel, an Albuquerque native. The parish has a weekly Sunday attendance of 4,000 members.–END

I found it very interesting that HLN coverage this morning did not identify the site as a Catholic church, except for a very brief shot of the front of the building.

Prayers for those affected.

Ah, the upside-down cross. They think they’re being so countercultural to use it. Please, we were using it first as a symbol for the Papacy, in rememberence of St. Peter being crucified upside-down

It would be good to refrain from speculating on a reason for his actions. Particularly avoid labelling him with a specific mental illness, something that requires observation by professionals over a period of time.

That said, I will offer prayers for him and the victims.

I wonder if this will be charged as a hate crime?
If the young man is found to be non compos (as seems likely) probably not.

But I have seen reported many cases of graffiti, destruction of property including statues & crucifixes, damage to cars at Mass all passed off as simple vandalism rather than “hate crimes”.

About the tattoo, it may be meaningful, but if could easily not be. Assuming it is a pentagram (the only article where the tattoo was mentioned says it was a star, not necessarily a pentagram), there are dozens of uses for that symbol, not all of them nefarious or occult (ancient and medieval Christians even used it). The point up/point down distinction doesn’t always matter, and since it was on his wrist as opposed to, say, his bicep, it’s not clear which way is “up.” The Church of Satan does use a point-down pentagram a part of one of their symbols, but it’s typically enclosed in two circles and has some additional details.

The motive will be made clear later; no need to assume that it’s related to the attack at this point.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.