BREAKING NEWS: Labour MP fighting for life after being shot three times - once in the head - by attacker 'who shouted Britain First then kicked her while she lay bleeding from the face'

BREAKING NEWS: Labour MP fighting for life after being shot three times - once in the head - by attacker 'who shouted Britain First then kicked her while she lay bleeding from the face’

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3644847/Woman-MP-Jo-Cox-stabbed-shot-twice-man-makeshift-gun.html#ixzz4BknGDmxQ 7

A female Labour MP has been shot twice after she stepped in when two men were seen fighting in the street while she was out campaigning.

Jo Cox, MP for Batley and Spen, was speaking to locals in Birstall near Leeds when the scuffle broke out. She is now in a critical condition in hospital.

An eyewitness said: ‘He was fighting with her and wrestling with her and then the gun went off twice and then she fell between two cars and I came and saw her bleeding on the floor.’

Others claimed the man shouted ‘Britain First’ during the scuffle

The shocking incident took place near the town’s library where the 41-year-old politician held advice surgeries.

The MP was airlifted to Leeds General hospital where she is now said to be in a ‘critical condition’.

**Campaigning for the EU referendum by Britain Stronger in Europe and Vote Leave has been suspended for the day after the attack on Ms Cox.

Mr Abdallah, 56, was in the cafe next door to the library when he heard screaming and went outside.**

He said: ‘There was a guy who was being very brave and another guy with a white baseball cap who he was trying to control and the man in the baseball cap suddenly pulled a gun from his bag.’

He added: ‘He was fighting with her and wrestling with her and then the gun went off twice and then she fell between two cars and I came and saw her bleeding on the floor.’

After around 15 minutes, the shop owner said emergency services arrived and tended to her with a drip.

Mr Abdallah said the weapon looked handmade and that the man who had been wrestling with the assailant continued to do so even after he saw the gun.

He said: ‘The man stepped back with the gun and fired it and then he fired a second shot, as he was firing he was looking down at the ground.’

**Aamir Tahir, of The Dry Clean Centre, said the gunman was heard shouting ‘Britain first’.

**He said: 'The lady I work with heard two loud bangs. I wish I was there because I would have tried to stop him.

**‘Apparently the guy who did it shouted ‘Britain first’ and if I had been there I would have tackled him.’ **

Daniel Blyth, a company director from Birstall, told the paper he saw seven police cars ‘racing up’ the road to the scene.

Our Father said.

Praying for her health & recovery.

Got a news flash that she just died. May Lord have mercy.

ICXC NIKA

God bless.

May she rest in peace.

Please no diatribes about gun control.

Eternal Rest, O Lord…

We are in very dark times. England can’t even celebrate their victory over Wales. Look at the US. 50 people massacred and all the President can do is attack Republicans for it. He increases the hate and divide. It is everywhere. We are getting to think of violence as part of the political discourse. I seriously think we are headed back into the French Revolution days - violence as a means to fight for your side. We are too far apart and we won’t listen or engage each other - we just judge and hate. Both sides do it.

Eternal rest grant unto her O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon her…

A husband is left today bereft of his wife, small children will grow up without their mother, parents have been deprived of their daughter, the British Parliament has lost a principled MP, the Labour Party has lost a strong advocate for social justice and a talented politician who had so much more to offer her party, constituents and country…

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/labour-mp-jo-cox-shot-in-leeds-witnesses-report/

**Jeremy Corbyn: Labour in shock and our hearts go to the family

Jeremy Corbyn has offered his condolences to the family and friends to the late MP who police confirmed had died this afternoon.**

He described how the Labour Party is in shock and paid tribute to her dedication to public duty.

**“The whole of the Labour Party and Labour family - and indeed the whole country - will be in shock at the horrific murder of Jo Cox today.

“Jo had a lifelong record of public service and a deep commitment to humanity. She worked both for Oxfam and the anti-slavery charity, the Freedom Fund, before she was elected last year as MP for Batley and Spen – where she was born and grew up.

“Jo was dedicated to getting us to live up to our promises to support the developing world and strengthen human rights – and she brought those values and principles with her when she became an MP.

“Jo died doing her public duty at the heart of our democracy, listening to and representing the people she was elected to serve. It is a profoundly important cause for us all.**

**“Jo was universally liked at Westminster, not just by her Labour colleagues, but across Parliament.

“In the coming days, there will be questions to answer about how and why she died**. But for now all our thoughts are with Jo’s husband Brendan and their two young children. They will grow up without their mum, but can be immensely proud of what she did, what she achieved and what she stood for.

“We send them our deepest condolences. We have lost a much loved colleague, a real talent and a dedicated campaigner for social justice and peace. But they have lost a wife and a mother, and our hearts go out to them.”

**Deputy Labour leader: The movement is devastated by her death

Tom Watson MP, deputy leader of the Labour Party, offered his condolences at the devastating attack.

“The whole of the Labour movement is devastated at Jo’s death. We have lost a colleague so young who had much more to contribute to public life. She was our future.

“It is hard to comprehend how a compassionate, principled and beautiful person can be taken away from us so cruelly**. It’s even more devastating because she was doing what she did best - serving her constituents.

“We grieve her loss. Our love and prayers are with Brendan and Jo’s family.”

It is so unspeakably awful to think that in the time since I posted this thread about that horrific attack - a beautiful and wholly innocent woman, going about her job of campaigning for the principles she believes in, has died from the fatal wounds sustained.

Yes, following on from that terrible massacre in Orlando, we truly are living in dark times.

May she RIP.

Perhaps the referendum campaigns might be less of a Punch & Judy show after this tragedy.

This tragedy raises serious questions - very grave and pressing - about the security of persons involved in work of a public nature with a high level of visibility - i.e. MPs and others engaged in similar campaigns.

It is not the first violent attack upon a member of parliament but this one is notable for the sheer merciless brutality of the assailant and the utter helplessness of the innocent victim.

And the poor woman was of a very slight and delicate build, yet the killer repeatedly kicked and stabbed her while she lay on the ground from the gunshot wounds. I cannot even begin to imagine the savagery and/or crazed mental state of the man who was capable of so cruelly murdering her.

Can’t have any diatribes about gun control. UK basically has all the laws.

Let’s not forget the civilians in our prayers who have been killed in terror attacks either: Paris (100+) Brussels (30+), also Charlie Hedbo. It is open season on everyone. I don’t expect that to abate - it will pick up the pace. The problem is not under control.

(earmark this post - or better - I’ll repost the next time I need it)

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36549985

**Day was always improved if you bumped into Jo Cox

Laura Kuenssberg
Political editor

It’s an over-used word these days, but Jo was a star. She was brave, funny, and clever.

**In Westminster she was one of those rare people that whatever was going on in politics that day, however much backbiting there was, however many insults were being thrown around, the day was always improved if you bumped into her for a chat, a cup of tea, or heard her speak fearlessly and with compassion in the Commons.

But a conversation with her was just as likely to turn to her young kids, or the family’s houseboat on the Thames, as it was to talk about the latest political machinations.

Jo was an MP who cared deeply about her party, and how politics can make a difference not just here, but around the world.

But more importantly she was a mum, a wife and a daughter who broke into ready smiles when she talked about her family. That’s what I’ll remember.

did they catch the attacker?

I grieve mightily that we are living in a world in which violence is regarded as the only political solution for so many people.

I think they have arrested a man in his 50’s

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.