Breaking News: Mexican president: drug lord Chapo Guzman re-arrested [AP]

**Mexican president: drug lord Chapo Guzman re-arrested **
msn.com/en-us/news/world/mexican-president-drug-lord-chapo-guzman-re-arrested/ar-CCitmd?ocid=ansmsnnews11

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto announced Friday that fugitive drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman was recaptured seven months after he escaped from a maximum security prison.

An official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to be quoted by name said Guzman was apprehended after a shootout with Mexican marines in the city of Los Mochis, in Guzman’s home state of Sinaloa.

Responding to what was seen as one of the biggest embarrassments of his administration — Guzman’s July 11 escape through a tunnel from Mexico’s highest-security prison — Pena Nieto wrote in his Twitter account on Friday: “mission accomplished: we have him.”

Five people have been killed and one Mexican marine wounded in the clash.

The Mexican Navy said in a statement that marines acting on a tip raided a home in the town of Los Mochis before dawn. They were fired on from inside the structure. Five suspects were killed and six others arrested. The marine’s injuries were not life threatening.

Caught - again - a definite maybe.

Not sure if anyone else has posted yet, this story is just over the wires.

Fox is all over the story. Consensus is that he needs to be gotten out of Mexico and into a U.S. supermax immediately, if not sooner.

I agree. My son said they should have just killed him because he will just work out another escape plan. I said they must want to keep him alive for a reason.

For the record, in the coastal town of Los Mochis, Sinaloa where El Chapo was caught, I visited once some time ago and it was quaint, enjoyable, had a lovely Church but even back then, this narco stuff was in the air but it is only since about 2006 or maybe a few years later, things have gotten out of control. The famous Chihuahua al Pacifico railroad ends up there and it goes through the famous Copper Canyon and the land where the Tarahumara indians are. It’s great lovely land with a culture down there and it is too bad these gangsters have seized so much. Even back in those days, I have heard, there are the Saints that the narcos pray to; etc. roadside shrines there and all of that.

As far as I’m concerned, I believe history shows, El Chapo wanted to expand his territory though already filthy rich and went after, as I’ve said before, the Juarez/El Paso corredor which is suppose to be the best area for smuggling drugs, though why over any other part of the border, I don’t have a clue.

They caught him on his native turf this time.

This has been in the news today, many are scorning Sean Penn for meeting with El Chapo but it appears that his doing so aided the police in finding the drug lord.

Sean Penn meeting, silver screen dreams help Mexican drug lord’s downfall

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - A secretive meeting that Hollywood star Sean Penn orchestrated with Joaquin “Chapo” Guzman in a jungle hideout late last year helped Mexico’s government catch the world’s most wanted drug lord, sources said.

Guzman, the infamous boss of the Sinaloa drug cartel, was arrested in northwestern Mexico on Friday morning, and sent back to the prison he broke out of in July through a mile-long tunnel that led straight into his cell.

Mexico aims to extradite Guzman to the United States as soon as possible.

Penn’s rare access to the capo was assisted by Mexican actress Kate del Castillo. They were driven some of the way to the hideout by Guzman’s son, who the Hollywood star says was waved on by soldiers when they apparently recognized him.

Read more at: news.yahoo.com/sean-penn-meeting-silver-screen-dreams-help-mexican-011346498.html

A senior Obama administration official told television news shows on Sunday morning that Guzman’s boasting about his heroin empire in the interview was “maddening.”

“One thing I will tell you is that this braggadocious action about how much heroin he sends around the world, including the United States, is maddening,” White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“We see a heroin epidemic, an opioid addiction epidemic, in this country,” McDonough said. “We’re going to stay on top of this with our Mexican counterparts until we get that back in the box. But El Chapo’s behind bars - that’s where he should stay.”

Public enemy #1 in Chicago, the first one since Al Capone.

so will they still be making the movie?

I hope he is brought to the U.S. to be imprisoned.

Some of the stories say Mexican authorities want to talk to Penn and the Mexican actress about money laundering.

Another Mexican government source said authorities were considering whether to investigate Penn and Del Castillo, possibly for money laundering.

iusbpreface.com/2016/01/11/mexico-wants-to-question-sean-penn-over-chapo-meeting-86277/

Which sounds bad; it makes one wonder.

Marco Rubio Calls Sean Penn’s ‘El Chapo’ Guzman Interview ‘Grotesque’**

Republican presidential candidate Sen. Marco Rubio called it “grotesque” that actor Sean Penn interviewed Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman while the Mexican drug kingpin was still-at large and evading authorities.

“If one of these American actors who have benefited from the greatness of this country, who have made money from our free enterprise system, want to go fawn all over a criminal and a drug trafficker in their interviews, they have a Constitutional right to do it,” Rubio said Sunday on ABC’s “This Week.” “I find it grotesque.”

After Guzman was apprehended by Mexican authorities earlier this week, Rolling Stone published an interview conducted by Penn. The notorious drug dealer reportedly met with the Hollywood star to discuss making a biographical film.

abcnews.go.com/Politics/marco-rubio-calls-sean-penns-el-chapo-guzman/story?id=36194934

Sean Penn may not have intended to draw Chapo out into the sunshine and he is not yet double down, locked up. But, it would seem to be the way of these monsters that they will suspect Mr. Penn and he may be in a bit of trouble. He has a lot of money to go traveling, maybe that is what he will do Maybe he can hide better than Chapo. There is a movie out currently “Sicario” that runs extremely close to the real Chapo - its rough but interesting.
The scenes of Juarez are so dismal and shocking - very sad.

Heroin has risen to the #1 drug of choice in our northern rural (woodsy) towns like, Michigan, Wisconsin, Vermont, so that plus meth and coke has been allowed to grow especially during the last three years. Has there been a lot of noise coming from the White House about this?
Has there been a great effort led by the Attorney General to exterminate these vermin? Do they move their poison across our crossable borders - over and under - freely? Oh us poor American people, what did we do? Can we begin to fix this? Or, shall we continue to dialogue about all these terminal disasters that are ongoing? :shrug:

Something tells me Sean Penn will probably be under witness protection for a very long time due to this.

Heroin is also a major epidemic in my area, its basically an invasion, everyday, there are more and more overdose deaths, the most recent involved 2 parents overdosing in their daughters hospital room, the wife did not make it.

Just because Chapo was re-arrested really means nothing, his cartel is still up and running, business as usual, thats not going to stop, someone else will just run it until he escapes again or something else happens.

There is too much corruption to fix it, the fact that the cartels are able to get enough product into the country, enough to supply every city consistently, really proves this, they went after the source when terrorism happened, I wonder why they arent doing the same thing with the drug war? If they can find one guy (Bin Laden), they can surely find the 100s of 1000s of poppy field acres in Mexico.

Text Messages Indicate ‘El Chapo’ Was Interested in Meeting Mexican Actress and Unfamiliar With Sean Penn

ktla.com/2016/01/14/text-messages-indicate-el-chapo-was-interested-in-meeting-mexican-actress-was-unfamiliar-with-sean-penn/

Drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, a two-time prison escapee, surely is no stranger to flirting with danger.

But his admiration for one particular actress apparently led to his capture and imprisonment with security measures tougher than a ball-and-chain.

ktla.com/2016/01/14/text-messages-indicate-el-chapo-was-interested-in-meeting-mexican-actress-was-unfamiliar-with-sean-penn/

El Chapo’s interest in this woman may have helped bring him down. Other stories called it “flirting”.

so wouldn’t the life of this actress be in danger or that of Sean Penn if El Chapo thinks they cooperated with authorities and helped them locate El Chapo?

Definitely, I was amazed at some of the comments on the NBC article page, it seems like Sean Penn will probably be a target for the cartel, just because Chapo is in jail does not mean his cartel is suddenly out of business either, he can still run it from jail or someone else he trusts has control over operations.

of course! yet Sean Penn says he is not afraid. I pray nothing happens to the actor or actress. their meeting was around 3 months prior to his recapture and that no one is talking about the article.

In one of the prior posts above, I posted this excerpt per Sean Penn:

Penn’s rare access to the capo was assisted by Mexican actress Kate del Castillo. They were driven some of the way to the hideout by Guzman’s son, **who the Hollywood star says was waved on by soldiers when they apparently recognized him.

From post #5; when I read that emboldened above, I’m not sure if it means Sean Penn or El Chapo’s son, I would think it means El Chapo’s son. Sean Penn is fairly recognizable in our country but I’d be unsure about Mexico. So if Chapo’s son was free to roam around, I think El Chapo brought it on himself.

I guess rereading it, it is talking about Chapo’s son, if the Federales allowed them to go by, it doesn’t look like Penn’s fault.

I’ll add on, the actress, Kate del Castillo, that El Chapo apparently had an interest in, according to stories, played the wife of a big Cartel boss in a soap opera.

it does seem like his amorous feelings for this soap opera actress was his downfall. I hope that is how El Chapo sees it.
I did not read who was killed during the raid. El Chapo’s guards?

Yes, a few of Chapo’s guards, gunmen, did get killed according to the story and a Mexican Marine was injured.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.