Breaking the news about adoption

Please keep my family in your prayers today. DH is going to tell his parents that we are in the process of adopting from Ethiopia. We know that they will not be happy - and my parents aren’t happy about it, either. We’re hoping very much that God will heal us all from the racism and division that this is showing!

I will remember your intentions today during Adoration.

I’m sorry you are having to deal with negative attitudes about adopting. :hug1: I think your family will come around–they may just be concerned that you and your DH don’t understand all the implications of having a child from a different culture, so while their intentions may be good, they may be hurtful before becoming understanding.

Ya’ll are in my prayers!!! :gopray2:

Pentecostbaby,

Congratulations on your pending adoption! :grouphug:It’s an amazing journey filled with highs and lows! Interracial adoption comes with it’s own particular mountains and valleys and can bring out surprising reactions from family, friends and even total strangers, both good and bad. Be prepared for STRANGE questions from total strangers, but mostly positive reactions. Thankfully, most people have sense enough to realize you did a wonderful thing by adopting, especially across racial lines, but you might be disappointed by people who are closest to you and who you wouldn’t expect it from.

My DH and I adopted from China and although I expected some negative reactions from my very prejudiced family, my dad has totally fallen in love with his little China angel. :slight_smile: He even wants to fly a Chinese flag from his tractor! (I told him that might not be a good idea!) My mom was a little slower to come around but now she loves her, too, I just don’t think she loves her quite as much as the bio grandkids. :confused:

Your parents and in-laws might happily surprise you with their reactions, or it might take meeting your little angel for them to fall in love with the baby. Give them a little time to adjust to the idea and hopefully they will come around. Your family will be in our prayers!:signofcross:

+JMJTJ+

Congratulations!
You will be in my prayers.

*** Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us, so that in difficult moments we might not despair, nor become despondent, but with great confidence, submit ourselves to Your Holy Will, which is Love and Mercy itself. Amen***

God bless you +

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: Congratulations!:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Praying for understanding and compassion within your family…and praying so hard for your new little one!

Jesus let Your Spirit of love prevail in these families, that this child will be welcomed and cherished by all in the family.

May God bountifully bless you.

LORD Jesus
Guide ur Children .

Praying for your success in handling this. God bless you for your kindness to this precious child!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.