breastfeeding

Please pray that God will make my body start working again to feed my baby. I have to pump while I’m at work away from my baby and in the last week my supply has dropped by almost half. Nighttime is becoming a struggle b/c it’s hard to get him back to sleep without enough milk.

This is my fourth and last baby and nursing is so special and important to me - not getting to be a SAHM mom like I want, this is the one thing I cling to for bonding. I have ordered a supplement online to try and help get my supply back up, please pray it works.

Our Lady of La Leche, pray for us!

I feel for you! breasfeeding was so important to me. i am glad you found a supplement to order. There are a few things you can do at home in the meantime. There is mothers milk tea you might be able to find at your grocery store. Eating real oatmeal (old fashioned kind) can help boost your supply. Search on kellymom.com for more info that might pertain directly to you . Prayers said!

Thank you savedbygrace!

Praying for your intention.

Thank you ExGratia!

I work part-time outside the home and I’ve noticed too that the pump is just not as effective and my supply drops. I’m not sure where you could go to do this, but maybe have the pump checked out and see if it’s in working order (if it’s electric?) When my second was born I was given an electric one to use while he was in NICU and the motor didn’t even work, so not very effective…I ended up hand expressing while we were there. A lot of major cities have breastfeeding centers that may be able to help you.

Praying for you! It’s such a gift to be able to nurse our babies. :slight_smile:

Praying for you! I know it is SO hard when you go back to work. A few suggestions that really helped me when my supply dropped after going back to work with my firstborn:

• Keep a picture or a video of your baby. If you have a cell phone, that’s a great way to do it! But having the visual and audio stimulation of your baby will help with let-down while you’re pumping.
    -Fenugreek! You can get it at any herbal supplement store!
    -Mother’s Milk Tea! You can get it at most grocery stores.
    -If work allows, try to do it as often as possible. I was able to pump every two hours, and I know that was extremely lucky but it was also very helpful.

My supply ultimately gave out when I was hospitalized with meningitis and wasn’t allowed any contact with my baby for 2.5 whole days. As much as I pumped, my body simply did not continue to produce. :confused:

Praying for you!!! Even if you have to supplement formula, every bit of breast milk helps. We do what we can! Hang in there!

Praying hard.

I’ve tried Fenugreek in the past without any success, although maybe the stuff at Wal-Mart isn’t as good that from a more ‘crunchy’ distributor. I have baby’s pic on my desk and cell phone. The motor seems to be fine on my pump: I have to turn it up at home b/c the outlets in our house don’t pull enough power, but at work, I have to turn it DOWN b/c it’s too hard. I set the timer on my phone for every 90 minutes and I’ll pump for 15-20 min. Last week I was getting at least 15 oz./day, now I’m getting just barely over 10.

The supplement I’m trying is call MoreMilk Plus. The majority of the reviews state excellent results, although some claim no change or actual worsening of low milk production. Everyone’s different, I guess. Waiting for my supplement to arrive and then I’ll order the tea, b/c I LOVE tea.

Flaxseed, brewer’s yeast, and keeping well hydrated might help. When my supply went down, my lactation consultant advised that I wait until baby gets to bed, then do an hour of “power punping”–10 minutes on, 10 off. This simulates a growth spurt. It worked for me.

saying a prayer for you also. And if your supply gives out, PLEASE try not to beat yourself up; as a friend told me, God appointed you the mother of this baby, and so you are the very best person to be the baby’s mother. My brilliant, strong, healthy husband was raised on formula, and my mom could only nurse me 3 months. Love and a Godly household are the best gifts you can give your babies.

When my 3rd baby was 5 months old, I had to go on IVs for 7 days, but couldn’t nurse for 10 days: pump and dump the whole time. It stunk really bad b/c one of the main high points of nursing is NOT having to get up in the middle of the night: I had to pump AND make a bottle for the baby from stored milk. We managed to get through that and continue nursing till he was one (and beyond), I’m praying my new little guy and I can make it through this.

heidi_storage

Thank you so much for the encouragement. Can you tell me, did you just get Flaxseed and Brewer’s Yeast at a regular retailer? I actually sprinkle Flaxseed in my fermented oatmeal or greek yogurt every morning for breakfast, but I’m not sure how potent it is. Thanks.

I just ordered stuff online because it was easier than running to the store. Here’s a link to some cookies with milk-increasing ingredients–I haven’t made them myself, though:

drmomma.org/2010/08/lactation-cookies-recipe-increasing.html

Good luck!

heidi, thank you for the recipe - can’t wait to try it!

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

:gopray::bible1:

Offering a decade of the Rosary for this intention.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

I know, I know, what could a dude know about this topic. . . especially what hasn’t already been shared. Just wanted to note, however, that you should check your diet and water supply.
Too much Sulphur and you will dry-up. Cabbage leafs (it is my understanding) work due to this.

My wife and I were on some very hard well water that was very high in Sulphur and my wife had great trouble. We moved, very shortly thereafter, and she had trouble drying up.

Least, very interesting. I’m interested in PH balancing and all of that ‘crunchy’ stuff just b/c I suffer from very nasty staph infections almost non stop. I will have to look into this to see what foods to eat/avoid. Thanks for the tip!

Praying for you and your intentions :byzsoc:

Prayers said.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.