Breath freshener and communion?

I hope someone can clarify this for me? Whenever I get a bad sinus infection it typically leads to drainage which in turn leads to a most foul odor. I brush more frequently and am a religious flosser and brush my tongue but when I get this sinus drainage thing going, none of that seems to matter. What does help is using those mini breath spray containers.

Often I’ll use them at Mass when my sinuses are draining but in doing so am I in any way breaking the fasting rule before communion with these spray type breath fresheners? I do not think they are categorized as “food” items per se but of course they are ingested?

I would classify them as “medicine” in your case. :slight_smile:

I would say it breaks the fast, and so would many moral theologians. Besides, stink on stink makes double stink.

:thumbsup:

If you’re really in doubt, ask your priest. But your breath freshener isn’t food or drink in any way, so I think it would be really stretching to call it breaking the fast.

Receiving in the hand is allowed if it really troubles you.

It’s medicine. You’re covered.

I can’t imagine how in any sense breath spray, which isn’t even swallowed, could be considered “food.” Do you have a moral theology reference?

Can you name two? :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.