Brennan says Trump’s claims of no collusion with Russia are ‘hogwash

Former CIA director John Brennan struck back at President Trump on Thursday, writing in a blistering op-ed that Trump’s claims of no collusion with Russia in the 2016 presidential election are “hogwash.”

The piece, posted on the New York Times website, came a day after Trump announced he was stripping the security clearance of Brennan, who led the CIA during most of President Barack Obama’s second term & has emerged as one of Trump’s fiercest critics.

In his op-ed, Brennan characterized Trump’s action as “politically motivated” & said it was “an attempt to scare into silence others who might dare to challenge him.”

Brennan wrote that it is “critically important” that special counsel Robert S. Mueller III be permitted to complete his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election & whether Trump’s campaign coordinated with Russia.

While Trump has repeatedly insisted there was “no collusion,” Brennan wrote that the “only questions that remain are whether the collusion that took place constituted criminally liable conspiracy, whether obstruction of justice occurred to cover up any collusion or conspiracy, and how many members of ‘Trump Incorporated’ attempted to defraud the government by laundering and concealing the movement of money into their pockets.”

The former CIA director took aim at Trump for his public call as a candidate in July 2016 for Russia to help find missing emails of his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, who was being scrutinized for having used a private email server while secretary of state.

“By issuing such a statement, Mr. Trump was not only encouraging a foreign nation to collect intelligence against a U.S. citizen, but also openly authorizing his followers to work with our primary global adversary against his political opponent,” Brennan wrote.

“Such a public clarion call certainly makes one wonder what Mr. Trump privately encouraged his advisers to do — and what they actually did — to win the election,” Brennan said. “While I had deep insight into Russian activities during the 2016 election, I now am aware — thanks to the reporting of an open & free press — of many more of the highly suspicious dalliances of some American citizens with people affiliated with the Russian intelligence services. Mr. Trump’s claims of no collusion are, in a word, hogwash.”

Trump said Wednesday that he is also reviewing the security clearances of nine other former officials, including former FBI director James B. Comey, all of whom have criticized the president or been targeted by congressional Republicans seeking to discredit the Russia probe.

Trump appeared to make a direct link in an interview with the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday. “I call it the rigged witch hunt,” Trump said of the Russia probe. “And these people led it. So I think it’s something that had to be done.”

Well, Brennan was the producer of the Russian “dossier” to the FBI in order to start all of this mess. So he surely knows about his own collusion with Russia. Whether he knows anything else remains to be seen.

Brennan is now just a cheap propagandist for the Dem party, and not a very good one at that, serving up stale information as if it’s somehow new.

And there’s no question now that Fusion GPS people had contact with Veselnitskaya both before and after the abortive meeting with Trump Jr. Hard to believe that wasn’t Brennan’s “sting” operation, just another part of his collusion with Russia. Probably won’t be long before we find out. But it was so inept that the Dems ought to distance themselves from him as soon as they can in order to avoid worse than mere embarrassment. Some of his outbursts don’t seem entirely sane, and a guy like him will bite them too if he thinks he has reason to do it.

Here are two more questions for Brennan to consider… Where is the proof of any of this? Why has Muller been unable to find any evidence?

Brennan is another “weasel” and I am glad he and others are being exposed!

Where is the proof of any of this? Why has Muller been unable to find any evidence?

It’s beginning to look like Brennan tried to create a semblance of it, but failed.

To President Trump

From William H. McRaven

August 16 at 2:44 PM

William H. McRaven, a retired Navy admiral, was commander of the U.S. Joint Special Operations Command from 2011 to 2014. He oversaw the 2011 Navy SEAL raid in Pakistan that killed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

Published in the Washington Post

Dear Mr. President:

Former CIA director John Brennan, whose security clearance you revoked on Wednesday, is one of the finest public servants I have ever known. Few Americans have done more to protect this country than John. He is a man of unparalleled integrity, whose honesty and character have never been in question, except by those who don’t know him.

Therefore, I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency.

Like most Americans, I had hoped that when you became president, you would rise to the occasion and become the leader this great nation needs.

A good leader tries to embody the best qualities of his or her organization. A good leader sets the example for others to follow. A good leader always puts the welfare of others before himself or herself.

Your leadership, however, has shown little of these qualities. Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation.

If you think for a moment that your McCarthy-era tactics will suppress the voices of criticism, you are sadly mistaken. The criticism will continue until you become the leader we prayed you would be.

Brennan voted Communist.

I’ll see your Washington Post and raise you a washington Post.

That was back when Brennan was a college kid who was dissatisfied with the politics of the time, as were many people, so he voted one time for Gus Hall. He has since called that a mistake. Heck, Donald Trump used to be a Democrat, and he said that was a mistake and everyone forgave him. What gives?

There has been a lot of hogwash since President Trump was elected and it is mostly from the left!

This fellow truly has slipped his tether. McCarthy era? Trump doesn’t trust Brennan but did nothing to harm him at all. And why should he trust Brennan? Brennan spied on congressmen and their staffs and then lied about it.

Excerpt:

President Trump is picking on the wrong guy if he thinks the revocation of John Brennan’s security clearances is going to intimidate or silence him. The man who is in many ways the architect of the war on militant jihadists is not going to be easily bullied.

Former CIA director Brennan is not just any critic of Trump: unlike many others, he doesn’t come from the left. In fact, Brennan is the engineer of some of the most aggressive American efforts to eliminate jihadist terrorists.

In person, Brennan, who grew up in a devout Catholic working class family in New Jersey, is serious, even stern, not big on small talk and intolerant of BS.

The entire Russia collusion scam is closer to McCarthyism.

Oh, it absolutely is, but in parody.

What on earth is McCarthyism???

Now all he needs is a bit of proof to go along with those accusations. Good luck with that.

How could the removal of this man’s security clearance be aimed at suppress his free speech. What a ridiculous suggestion. It sounds like you and him just like to blather on hoping that someone will sympathize with you. You are so emotional HCTC. try logic every now and then!.

As the purveyor of the Russian dossier, he probably knows at least a few Russian propagandists. He could go to them to manufacture some. But they didn’t do a very good job on the dossier, so maybe that’s not a good resource.

If Mueller had any proof of collusion (not even a crime) he would be sharing it with the world already.

Trump had an affair. We could probably agree that Trump’s sin is likely worse than Brennan’s sin. Whether or not either of them repented is something we don’t really know.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.