Breviary

I am going to be working on making the Divino Afflatu and Trident 1910 breviary bilingual. They would be combined, but with the 1910 breviary in parentheses, for the same day in stuff as they breviaries are different. I know that this would be for private devotion since this breviary cannot be used to meet the clergy’s obligation. I included a poll since I want to have an idea on what would be more useful. This would be used for those want to say the Office using an older edition, and to see on how the old breviary was like.

I think they have a better idea from the Mozarabic rite. You could pray the Aurora in the morning and completas in the evening.

hispanomozarabe.es/

Voted Latin/English.

Many believe, and I do as well, that prayers in Latin are more efficacious than those said in English. It goes without saying though, that prayers in English are still very much pleasing in the eyes of the Lord.

Prayers and Mass in Latin in my eyes are just another step that one can take in order to please God, and serve the Lord.

If you are serious about making it useful for the most Catholics, that’s easy.

English and Spanish.

Do you actually believe that? It you honestly do, from where does that belief derive? I’m certain the Church doesn’t teach that.

Probably Spanish and Portuguese would be more helpful to more Catholics. I don’t have the exact numbers, but I think there are more Portuguese speaking Catholics than English.

Nah.

God hears only Old Church Slavonic and Koine Greek.

Latin was the language of Nero.

Both are very close and both are romance languages. If one can read Portuguese, they can make do with Spanish.

Though this is a bit off-topic from the OP, here is something I found online about the benefits of praying in Latin that I found to be interesting.
sites.google.com/site/prayinglatin/why-pray-in-latin

• Latin is the preferred language of prayer for the Church
    When you pray in Latin, you are praying in union with the rest of the Church in the same universal language the Roman Church has prayed for practically her entire existence.
  • Pope Benedict has urged all Catholics to pray in Latin!
    Just two months after his elevation to the papacy, Benedict XVI declared that all Catholics should learn and publicly recite the most common Catholic prayers in Latin.

But why would the pope, Christ’s representative on earth, urge every Catholic person to learn to pray in Latin?

• Popes throughout history have unwaveringly embraced and defended the Latin language
    “The Latin language “can be called truly catholic.” It has been consecrated through constant use by the Apostolic See, the mother and teacher of all Churches, and must be esteemed “a treasure … of incomparable worth.” … It is also a most effective bond, binding the Church of today with that of the past and of the future in wonderful continuity.”
  • Pope St. John XXIII, the pope who convened Vatican II, Veterum Sapientia, 1962.
    “Latin…elicit[s] a profound sense of the Eucharistic Mystery”
  • Pope St. John Paul II, Dominicae Cenae 10, 1980.
  • Numerous Saints and Church Councils have commended and proscribed the use of Latin.
    Vatican II mandated the retention of Latin in the liturgy - “…the use of the Latin language is to be preserved in the Latin rites” (36). “Nevertheless steps should be taken so that the faithful may also be able to say or to sing together in Latin those parts of the Ordinary of the Mass which pertain to them” (54). (Vatican II only permitted the vernacular as an exception to the rule that Latin must be retained.)
  • The Latin language was consecrated at the Passion by its mystic inscription on the Cross, and was sanctified by the usage of nearly 2000 years, and it was thereby most closely interwoven with the primitive Roman Catholic liturgy (Gihr). (As to the other languages inscribed on the Cross: Greek is still employed in worship in certain Eastern Catholic Churches and is still retained in Western Church in the Kyrie; and Hebrew was the language of worship for God’s people prior to Christ.)
  • The Devil Hates Latin! - Interestingly, there have been numerous reports from exorcists that Latin prayers are more effective in driving away the demonic. The Vatican’s chief exorcist, Fr Gabriel Amorth, who has performed well over 700,000 exorcisms, has repeatedly testified to this reality. Bishop Gemma, “one of the Roman Catholic Church’s leading experts on exorcism,” has said, “demons have a horror of [the Latin] language.”

This one about the Devil is one I have heard time and time again, including from an exorcist that was once my spiritual director.

• Latin creates a sense of sacred space and time to help focus on
    the sense of God’s otherness to us. The use of a distinguished language for prayer and worship instills the sense of awe and reverence that reminds us that we are worshipping and imploring the help of the Almighty and are not just chatting with friends.
  • Praying in Latin can help facilitate increased focus on the mysteries of the rosary as well as deepen meditation.
  • The use of a non-vernacular language in prayer is biblical. Jesus himself prayed in Hebrew, a non-vernacular language, used almost exclusively in the temple worship at that time.
  • The Latin language unifies all under one tongue thereby countering the havoc from the tower of Babel, and in a practical way it continues the gift of Pentecost by enabling people from all nations to understand and pray together in una voce (one voice) universally.
  • When praying in Latin, you are praying in the same exact words in the same exact language that countless saints have prayed throughout the ages and are being united with them through entering into this venerable tradition they handed down and preserved faithfully throughout the centuries.

I pray/chant the modern Liturgy of the Hours mostly in Latin. For the day hours, in Gregorian chant using a Latin/French antiphonary. For the Office of Readings, either in Latin or French, recto-tono.

The Latin serves as my “mantra”, that is, chanting in Latin helps me to remove my focus from worldly things to what I am praying. While I can get good chunks of Latin from having prayed in that language for so long, my comprehension is far from perfect, so after I chant in Latin, I read the psalm through in French, in silence. This has a two-fold effect: one, it completes my comprehension (and thus allows me to retain many psalm verses in memory), and two, it creates moments of silence in my prayer of the LOTH. Silence at appropriate times in the liturgy is vital, IMHO.

Chanting in Latin helps me focus because the rules of modality and accentuation actually require one to concentrate on what one is chanting.

That said, I don’t think praying the LOTH in the vernacular is any less worthy. I do it my way for my own benefit, I happen to be addicted to Gregorian chant :stuck_out_tongue:

When I travel, I pray the LOTH in French only. I would be thrilled if more Catholics took up the praying of the LOTH in whatever language they can manage.

Slavoic?!?! Greek?!?! Aramaic is the only language of the Church, but the modernist in the 190s changed it to Latin. Latin maybe dead, but Aramaic is still alive!

You really think so? English and German are both germanic languages, I’ve seen German in print and videos of German speeches- and can only figure out that Mr. Hitler sure was angry, his words are a mystery to me

Dear fellow supporter of Pope Pius XII ;),

That was quite amusing! :rotfl:

It reminds me of a satirical article on the “Eye of the Tiber” satire site which described a fictitious “Society of St. Pius I” who were against “modernists” who introduced Latin. :smiley:

That was actually not EOTT, but a post in 2005, that was a blessing! I might join that society :wink:

freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1406639/posts

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.