Brexit: Nicola Sturgeon says second Scottish independence vote 'highly likely'

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36621030

**Brexit: Nicola Sturgeon says second Scottish independence vote ‘highly likely’

Scotland’s first minister has said a second independence referendum is “highly likely” after the UK voted to leave the EU.

Nicola Sturgeon said it was “democratically unacceptable” that Scotland faced the prospect of being taken out of the EU against its will.

She said the Scottish government would begin preparing legislation to enable another independence vote.

Scotland voted in favour of the UK staying in the EU by 62% to 38%.**

The UK as a whole has voted to leave, by a margin of 52% to 48%, prompting David Cameron to announce he would stand down as prime minister by October.

At a news conference in Edinburgh, Ms Sturgeon said the UK vote would lead to a “significant and material change” to the UK constitution.

The SNP manifesto for the Scottish Parliament election in May laid down that condition for a second independence vote.

The first minister said that option was now “on the table” and that many people who voted against independence in 2014 would be reassessing their decision.

Ms Sturgeon said there was a significant divergence between Scotland and the rest of Britain which she deeply regretted.

She said her priority was to reassure the people of Scotland about their immediate future and she would explore all options to secure Scotland’s place in the European Union.

The Scottish cabinet will meet on Saturday to discuss its next steps.

**Ms Sturgeon said: "After a campaign that has been characterised in the rest of the UK by fear and hate, my priority in the days, weeks and months ahead will be to act at all times in the best interests of Scotland and in a way that unites, not divides us.

"Let me be clear about this. Whatever happens as a result of this outcome, England, Wales and Northern Ireland will always be Scotland’s closest neighbours and our best friends - nothing will change that.

"But I want to leave no-one in any doubt about this. I am proud of Scotland and how we voted yesterday.

"We proved that we are a modern, outward looking and inclusive country and we said clearly that we do not want to leave the European Union

“I am determine to do what it takes to make sure these aspirations are realised.**”

itv.com/news/update/2016-06-24/jk-rowling-pms-legacy-will-be-breaking-up-two-unions/

**JK Rowling: PM’s legacy will be breaking up two unions

JK Rowling has said David Cameron’s legacy will be “breaking up two unions”.

The decision to leave the EU has sparked fears of a second Scottish referendum.

“Scotland will seek independence now. Cameron’s legacy will be breaking up two unions. Neither needed to happen.”**

Yep, it’s much easier to push a snowball than to stop it.

Hadrian’s Wall will rise again.

ICXC NIKA

I don’t know many Brits, but those I’ve spoken to (who tend to be the more Conservative types) live in England (some are Irish, Scottish, and Welsh though).

They were not only pro-brexit but they were very very very pro-Scottish independence. They consider the place a drain on tax dollars, and they feel most of the laws they don’t like came from Scottish MPs, despite Scotland having it’s own Parliament where they can inflect whatever laws they want on themselves (England doesn’t have it’s own parliament for some reason).

So they’re posting really happy things about the Scots wanting to leave again today.

OH NO!!! Will Hogwarts quit accepting Scottish students!!!

Longshanks and the Duke of Cumberland are rumored to be preparing armies to cross the Tweed into Scotland. This is getting scarier by the minute, will Brussels send help in time :smiley:

Of course not but they will pay out of state tuition.

Unless Scotland could negotiate that as an independent country they wouldn’t have to drop the pound and and have the euro or another currency, I’m not sure there would be high chance of another vote for independence succeeding, as in independence winning.

Check out what Michael Keating has to say. He is quite dismissive that Scotland would be able to keep the pound: thetimes.co.uk/article/no-pound-for-post-brexit-independent-scotland-academic-warns-hn6303lqk

whatever route Scotland might take to rejoin the EU, the EU stipulates that all new members are expected to adopt the euro, if they meet the necessary criteria. The same rules would apply to Scotland, unless it was able to negotiate a new opt-out.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36619907

Hogwarts was actually in Scotland. So it’s the English I’d be concerned for. Harry Potter’s kids will have to transfer to Drumstrang…

Looked more like CGI-land in the movies …

Nah it’s all real man. They just want you to think it’s fake so you won’t go looking for them. ;):smiley:

You sound like a muggle

I thought Hogwarts was in Scotland?

Nope. Drumstrang and Beauxbatons are both in EC territory. HP is MOL. (magically out of luck).

ICXC NIKA

In Galleons, of course???

“How dare you leave our union of countries! We’re now going to leave our union of countries to show how wrong that was.” :wink:

Very sad. Goodbye United Kingdom, hello England and Wales.

I am not a Citizen of the Commonwealth, but the threat of a UK split up, would have been enough for me to have voted against leaving the EU. The fact that Donald Trump was for Brexit and the world markets have gone crazy are further proof this was an enormous mistake. :twocents:

The EU may just sink under the waves now. I can’t seek things not going bad after this and the Greek bailout. We should all pray tonight for all of Western Civilization.

Would they revert to calling themselves England and Wales or simply retain the UK moniker even if it’s not entirely accurate?

And it’ll be interesting to see what flag they end up with after the blue in the UK flag is gone.

Good question, but after the Pound goes down the drain, I doubt they will be able to afford the costs of changing the national letterhead.:frowning:

This just in from the English Channel Tunnel…

[Lovingly borrowed from the BBC]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.