Brexit Spurs Worries in Ukraine Over Its Future With EU - WSJ

wsj.com/articles/brexit-spurs-worries-in-ukraine-over-its-future-with-eu-1467570052

LVIV, Ukraine—Britain’s vote to exit the European Union has dashed the hopes of many here of greater integration in the European bloc.
Many worry that the U.K. vote to leave the EU has pushed Ukraine to the bottom of Europe’s priority list

Very sadly I think that may well be true. It was a very bad day for Europe and an even worse day for Britain. Made all the more ironic by the fact that all of the prominent Leave campaigners have now fled the sinking ship.

I haven’t followed the Brexit very closely, but I think GB’s departure would be a good thing for the Ukraine.

It strengthens NATO, and Ukraine’s greatest worry should be Putin’s next step in the reformation of the former Soviet Union. The second that Putin believes that the US and GB will not respond to his aggression is the moment that the Ukraine will be raising the Russian flag in their capital.

Every year under the EU, NATO has become weaker. When people begin to worry about their own nation instead of a collective league of nations, they become less likely to tolerate growing threats to their national sovereignty.

The EU was a noble experiment 20 years ago. Germany should not be ruining its own economy and bailing out Greece for its corruption and foolhardy economic decisions. The EU has been a failure. Nationalism has always been far superior to collective mediocrity.

Agree, except for “noble experiment”.

SusanneT;14017635]Very sadly I think that may well be true.

I can’t remember the Ukraine even being talked about during the campaign. I think Remain is now grasping at straws, I guess since calling Brexit racist didn’t work and the markets are stabilizing.

It was a very bad day for Europe and an even worse day for Britain. Made all the more ironic by the fact that all of the prominent Leave campaigners have now fled the sinking ship.

Actually, it was a great day for the UK. :thumbsup: They said NO to a Brussels bureaucracy that was just holding them back.

And who from Leave is changing?

The only sinking ship I see is the EU, whose economic growth is stagnant.

Other than strategically, Ukraine was at the bottom of the USSR’s list. With Putin in power, the EU is “possibly” their only hope for autonomy - and yet, that comes at the price of selling the national soul to the EU. Not as many as are protrayed are ll that happy with the EU. Think of the UN running a regional governmental system with their intrinsic levels of efficiency.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.