Bridesmaids Mantillas?

Hi All!!

Wearing a veil to Holy Mass is part of my spirituality. My sister is getting married and I am the Matron of Honor. I am familiar with Halo Works, but I was wondering if there might be any other sites that specifically cater to Catholic Bridesmaids, etc. Because my hair is a bit longer, my usual veils are long and ivory or black...two colors that I'd prefer not to wear to the wedding. Any help or advice...I can't wear a hat, because I will have a half updo?
Thanks so much for any feedback and God Blessings be with you all!!!!

Are you looking to completely obscure your hair? Or do you mean something more along the line of a lace veil, where your hair shows through?

Modest World sells snoods (full coverage or net/lacy see-through stuff) which might work for you--it depends on how long and thick your hair is (mine is waist-length but very fine and thin, so I can fit it all into a smaller snood). They can be positioned to sit back a bit further on your head; if your half-updo is more towards the top of your head, it can even be positioned behind (assuming you're OK with having hair showing). If you want to cover everything, the stretchy snoods would probably fit over all but the most elaborate beehive updos.

(Right this minute, the site is closed for Shabbos, but will be back online later this evening.)

Also, I bet if you had a white mantilla, the shop where you get your dress could dye it to match, just like they do with shoes.

Miz

Check out our group here on CAF for women who cover their heads - there is a good number of resources for head coverings there: Veiled in Grace

~Liza

etsy.com/shop/headcoverings

Etsy is a site for people to sell homemade items. The prices are extreemly reasonable. I bought my bridesmaids chapel veils for all my bridesmaids and got a custom made one for the flowergirl. This is a picture of my sister in the chapel veil. Its the Navy blue Linda. However, looking at the site, she does seem to have gone up in price.

That said, do make sure that wearing a veil is ok with your sister. My sister got married two months after me and while she does value modesty, my own sense is that there should be a heightened sense of modesty for Mass. As such, I did ask her if it was ok to add sleeves to my bridesmaid gown. Ultimately I had to figure out that this was not what she wanted and that she didn’t have the courage to let me down. I ended up not adding sleeves and she told me we could all wear the shawls over our shoulders. Well just before her wedding was about to start, none of the bridesmaids wanted to wear the shawls. My sister nearly freaked out between feeling like she needed to please me and everyone else and it could have turned into a fight between me and the bridesmaids had I gotten on my high horse and said “Well we must for modesty sake or at least I am.” At that point, it was my sister’s wedding and it was important I not make it more difficult for her. I think to do so wouldn’t be a sign of devotion to God, but a sign of vanity and spiritual pride. I ultimately just told my sister to not panic and that I had made my request earlier but that at this point I would be perfectly obedient and insisted she not worry about me. So I went down with speggetti straps like everyone else and that’s just how it was.

Headcoverings by Devorah has lots of different colours of head coverings (including veils)

headcoverings-by-devorah.com/home.html

[quote="twoangels, post:4, topic:212363"]

Etsy is a site for people to sell homemade items. The prices are extreemly reasonable. I bought my bridesmaids chapel veils for all my bridesmaids and got a custom made one for the flowergirl. This is a picture of my sister in the chapel veil. Its the Navy blue Linda. However, looking at the site, she does seem to have gone up in price.

[/quote]

By the way, your bridesmaid dresses and veils were lovely :)

veilsbylily.com/search/label/Available%20in%20multiple%20colors

etsy.com/shop/DevorahChannah?section_id=5114859

etsy.com/shop/LadyinBlueShop

etsy.com/shop/GarlandsOfGrace

Here's a local source (for me) that I know of:

veilsbylily.com/

If your sister is going through a particular manufacturer for the dresses, you might ask her to inquire about buying limited yardage of laces that are dyed to match or that coordinate well, so a veil could be made to go with your dress. It is entirely possible they'll have something.

You might check with fabric stores that cater to brides. They often have very nice selections of laces, lace fabrics, and sheer fabrics in a wide range of colors. If you don't sew, it probably would be a good place to find someone to make up a veil for you, as bridal seamstresses often advertise at shops like that. You have to be a little careful, though, because sometimes the laces in "bridal" sections of fabric shops are disappointing.

In order to wear a mantilla veil your dress has to either have lace or it has to be pretty simple. I wanted this particular veil also, bc is common in latin cultures to wear one, but found out that it definitely that not go with my gown.

wedding gown

[quote="kamaan, post:5, topic:212363"]
Headcoverings by Devorah has lots of different colours of head coverings (including veils)

headcoverings-by-devorah.com/home.html

[/quote]

I was going to suggest this!! Devorah has the most beautiful head coverings!!:)

It is my understanding that covering our heads doesn't necessarily mean wearing a veil. When I was a girl in the 1950's, I never saw anyone wear a mantilla, even my elderly Italian grandmother. We wore hats. If you are being married in a daytime wedding, especially in the spring or summer, you might consider hats for your bridesmaids. Straw hats trimmed with flowers look lovely with modest dresses. Think colonial Williamsburg or Gone with the Wind!

Thank you all for the time you took to answer my question!! You are wonderful!!
God Bless…
woo hoo we are officially on the 7 day countdown!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.