Bright flash of light marks incredible moment life begins when sperm meets egg

This is beautiful!!!

Link to article which has a video.

I see that there are all sorts of implications, but actually, it just makes me feel happy. One connection I see is that the Shroud of Turin was probably caused by a bright flash of light… as Christ re-entered His Body?

Well, since no one else has said it… Let there be light! How cool is this?

I’m disappointed that the most conspicuous application they take away from this knowledge is for the advancement of IVF. They deem the brightest flashes of light to be the most viable embryos. What about the others? What if those scientists themselves had not been the “brightest” flash? (Gives a new take to the brightest bulb in the box.)

I thought of the Shroud of Turin, too. The bright flash of light is caused by a release of zinc, but somehow zinc is released when life begins. I don’t think they know exactly why.

Amazing!

Hopefully this will be plastered on social media. One of the rare times that people will admit to life at conception. :thumbsup:

I am sure, the pro-abortionists will soon start protesting, that this video “humanizes” the fetus. :mad:

Lol. Maybe that’s why Cold-Eeze works so well, at least for me. Something to do with the release of zinc ions.

To use a contemporary idiom, “haters gonna hate!” :slight_smile:

Ignore them. “To those who believe, no explanation is necessary. To those who do not, no explanation is possible.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly. I take a zinc supplement every day and haven’t had a really bad cold in years. I really hope there is notrickery in this finding, that would cause way more damage to the life at conception crowd than anything I can think of.

Oh my gosh, yeah! So very true!

Ha, that’s ‘a clump of cells’ to them, not even a fetus, but I totally get what you are saying.

My only thoughts when reading this article was how come this has only been noticed now? It seems to me after all these years of researchers working with this sort of subject that it would have been seen before? Then again, I have no idea about the processes used to conduct various methods of research… its just a concern I had reading this article. Why now are we hearing about this?

Love it. And it is something to be happy about.

Really interesting comparison there. it also reminds me of some other phenomena- not specific to Catholic faith but other things about the paranormal I’ve read before.

The article said it has been noticed in animal embryos previously, so it may not be a sign of infusion of a soul (which is really what we need to prove…). Given the delicate nature of working with fertilized human eggs, I’m not surprised that its taken a while to get around to doing a study like this.

Don’t animals also have souls, simply mortal ones?

Not sure…I thought all dogs went to heaven until I was told no…my source would be nuns from the 60’s (the steel ruler on the knuckles kind) so I was not prone to argue…

The article said they used a sperm enzyme, so I’m guessing these aren’t embryos? I’m not sure about the science. It sounded like it wasn’t actual sperm. Amazing, really. Maybe some biologically minded poster can clear this up.

Zinc is good for a cold! :wink: Echinacea works well for me, too.

I think everyone admits to life at conception. It’s when the immortal soul is infused that’s still not settled. Not even for the Church, although she stringently opposes abortion.

No, everyone doesn’t admit to life at conception. In fact, that’s one of the big arguments that pro-aborts use to claim it’s okay to kill children in the womb.

It’s when the immortal soul is infused that’s still not settled. Not even for the Church, although she stringently opposes abortion.

II. “BODY AND SOUL BUT TRULY ONE

362 The human person, created in the image of God, is a being at once corporeal and spiritual. The biblical account expresses this reality in symbolic language when it affirms that "then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being."229 Man, whole and entire, is therefore willed by God.

363 In Sacred Scripture the term** “soul” often refers to human life **or the entire human person.230 But “soul” also refers to the innermost aspect of man, that which is of greatest value in him,231 that by which he is most especially in God’s image: “soul” signifies the spiritual principle in man.

364 The human body shares in the dignity of “the image of God”: it is a human body precisely because it is animated by a spiritual soul, and it is the whole human person that is intended to become, in the body of Christ, a temple of the Spirit:232

Man, though made of body and soul, is a unity. Through his very bodily condition he sums up in himself the elements of the material world. Through him they are thus brought to their highest perfection and can raise their voice in praise freely given to the Creator. For this reason man may not despise his bodily life. Rather he is obliged to regard his body as good and to hold it in honor since God has created it and will raise it up on the last day. 233

365 The **unity of soul and body is so profound that one has to consider the soul to be the “form” of the body:**234 i.e., it is because of its spiritual soul that the body made of matter becomes a living, human body; spirit and matter, in man, are not two natures united, but rather their union forms a single nature.

366 The Church teaches that every spiritual soul is created immediately by God - it is not “produced” by the parents - and also that it is immortal: it does not perish when it separates from the body at death, and it will be reunited with the body at the final Resurrection.235

The Church teaches, EXPLICITLY, that it is only a living, human body BECAUSE it is infused with a soul. It cannot be “living”, or alive, without the soul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.