Bringing husband back to the Church

A bit of background: my husband and I are both Catholic. We both attended Catholic school through high school. Up until I went to college, I went to Mass faithfully every week. I also chose to be confirmed. My husband was not confirmed, and did not have a family that went to mass regularly. I fell away from Catholicism starting in college, and continuing through until recently (a little under 10 years later). We have been married for five years, and are trying to start a family.

In September, I made my first confession in 12 years and came back to fully embrace the Church.

I am feeling very strongly called to help guide my husband back to the Church and to a closer relationship with God. I’m just not sure the best way to do this. He comes to Mass on Sunday when his work schedule permits, but I know he does it because I ask. I don’t know that he gets much out of it. He also engages in some behaviors that are not in line with Catholic teachings. I think he just disagrees with the Church teachings. I’ve tried to addess a couple of these things with him, but to no avail.

He has been nothing but wonderfully supportive in my journey of resdiscovering my faith. He also asked me, about a month after I told him I prayed for him every night, if I was still praying for him. So I am hoping I can work with this.

I appreciate any advice or suggestions

in my humb le opinion,you need to start wit small things. or else, you run the risk of freaking him out.

do yu guys pray together before meals?

what about when he does attend mass with you? perhaps you could casually comment on the priest’s homily which may lead to a discussion.

just a couple suggestions to start with. you can progress from there. it will take time, everyone is at a different place on their journey

Welcome home!! We’re so glad you’re back! :smiley:

The only think I could think of is to try to avoid the ‘don’t do this’ stuff and find ways to compliment him. Was he thoughtful? Was he kind? Did he do a chore without grumbling about it? Did he go out of his way to help a neighbor? Kind to your mother?? lol Plus the extra of “I really appreciate it when you do this for me”, things like that. I think the quickest way to turn any one off is to tell them how they aren’t following a Catholic teaching. Not that you have done that, but I may have been so inclined. lol

Did I mention I’m glad you’re back??? lol
Have a beautiful Advent season.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=9630587&posted=1#post9630587

“I prayed for my husband a lot as he had been away from the Church for many years. I put a blessed green scapular under the mattress and prayed for him daily, and other family and friends prayed for him also. After several years he finally came back to the Church, and died a very happy man two years after that.”

Ten years after the manifestation of the Miraculous Medal to Sister Catherine Laboure in 1830, the Blessed Mother entrusted the Green Scapular of her Immaculate Heart to Sister Justine Bisqueyburu, likewise a Daughter of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul.

How to use it.
Wear or carry the green scapular for yourself.

To help another, place it in their vicinity (i.e. their room, wallet, purse, or all over; lamp, house,car, chair, bed).

Pray, at least daily: “Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death.”
This prayer should be said for oneself and separately for each person to whom it has been given (unless they pray it themselves, which they might not do)

Scapular(s) should be blessed by a priest.

Have the strongest possible trust in Mary’s promise.
Mary’s own words were:
“The GREATEST graces come from using the scapular but these graces come
in direct proportion to the degree of CONFIDENCE IN ME which the user has.”
The user is you, not the one to whom you give it to.
Confidence means that you believe Mary will keep her promises.
It just means you do your part and she will do hers.

Promises of Mary:
… Conversion of those who do not have the faith
… Reconciliation to the Church for those who have lost/strayed from the faith
… Assurance of a peaceful death
… Strengthening of the faith for those already in the Church
… Protection from Satan for those who wear or promote the scapular

Just say, “Mary I thank you for your gift to us, and rely on your promises.”

Be faithful to the prayer every day.
She didn’t say when, just that she promised it would happen, which will be fulfilled when the time is right.

“Great graces are often attached to what seems trifling.” St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=544742&page=3

My father, a fallen-away Catholic, passed away several years ago. When he first became ill and was hospitalized, one of the Vincentian priest pinned a Green Scapular to his pillow. I know my mother was especially worried about his salvation, as he had not awakened following emergency surgery. He did awaken many days later, and that same Vincentian asked if he wished to receive the sacraments. He was on a ventilator, so he could not speak, but he could indicate “yes” or “no”, so the priest simply asked if he was sorry for any and all sins he committed, then he was given Extreme Unction. This was 2 years to the day of my auto accident, August 3rd. He died 2 days later, on the Feast of Our Lady of the Snows on August 5th. There is a promise attached to the Green Scapular that Our Lady will obtain the conversion of those who have fallen away from the True Faith. I’m convinced she did so with my father, the day of his death was clearly Providential.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.