Bringing Jesus to teens

I go to a Catholic high school, and I see many many troubling things going on there. For one, when we had our mock election, the teachers voted for Kerry by a margin of 75% to 25%. Thankfully, though, Bush did win amongst the students, though I’m sorry to say not by much. There are many kids who very strongly support abortion, homosexual marriage, and thought that it was right to kill Terry. I could go on and on, as these are just a few of the things that are against the views of the Church, though I’m sure everyone sees these anyway.
Even in my Church youth group, there are kids who think that many things are ok that I don’t think are, i.e abortion, premarital sex, and so on.
What can we do to try and convert back kids?

I am a teen, so I guess I can speak firsthand about how I bring Jesus to my peers.

The best way is to lead the way to him by example. The best way to lead anyone is by example. I simply try to interact with people in a good, Christian way (sometimes–nay, most of the time–it is very hard) and just show people that there is good in the world. I believe that the greatest evil in the world today is lack of love, for once we have vanquished it, we have no more evil to fear.

So just be a good follower of Christ, and a good leader to him.

Pax Tecum
-ACEGC

[quote=edward_george]I am a teen, so I guess I can speak firsthand about how I bring Jesus to my peers.

The best way is to lead the way to him by example. The best way to lead anyone is by example. I simply try to interact with people in a good, Christian way (sometimes–nay, most of the time–it is very hard) and just show people that there is good in the world. I believe that the greatest evil in the world today is lack of love, for once we have vanquished it, we have no more evil to fear.

So just be a good follower of Christ, and a good leader to him.

Pax Tecum
-ACEGC
[/quote]

That’s what I try to do, but I’ll keep truckin! God bless!

[quote=sanpablo]I go to a Catholic high school, and I see many many troubling things going on there. For one, when we had our mock election, the teachers voted for Kerry by a margin of 75% to 25%. Thankfully, though, Bush did win amongst the students, though I’m sorry to say not by much. There are many kids who very strongly support abortion, homosexual marriage, and thought that it was right to kill Terry. I could go on and on, as these are just a few of the things that are against the views of the Church, though I’m sure everyone sees these anyway.
Even in my Church youth group, there are kids who think that many things are ok that I don’t think are, i.e abortion, premarital sex, and so on.
[/quote]

If it’s any consolation…I’m a babyboomer…and the youth of your generation have way better morals than the youth of my generation. 1,000,000 young adults flocking to Germany to see the Pope?! That never would have happened in my day. To see the Beatles, maybe…not the Pope. Lead by example and never be afraid to show your faith. Always seek the truth.

[quote=sanpablo]For one, when we had our mock election, the teachers voted for Kerry by a margin of 75% to 25%. Thankfully, though, Bush did win amongst the students, though I’m sorry to say not by much.
[/quote]

I realize that Catholics have more reason to vote against Kerry than the fact that he’s a Democrat. However, let’s remember that no one political party gets it ALL right. Eight years in power, and the Republicans haven’t gotten abortion outlawed. A lot of people think that, instead, they’ve made such bad social policies that they’ve made it seem more difficult to be a mother, thereby raising the number of abortions. I’m not saying I agree with this line of reasoning, but many people feel torn between the party that seems to uphold their morals and the party that seems to care for the poor and the earth that God gave us. It’s very difficult to really gauge a person’s morality and doctrine based on their voting.

[quote=sanpablo] There are many kids who very strongly support abortion, homosexual marriage, and thought that it was right to kill Terry. I could go on and on, as these are just a few of the things that are against the views of the Church, though I’m sure everyone sees these anyway.
[/quote]

Now, to your central question. If you have opportunities to make presentations in class, try to gear your presentations toward these issues. Research, research, research, and present the defense of the Catholic position. There are plenty of studies out there demonstrating the inherent “disordered-ness” of these behaviors.
Don’t be discouraged because of the beliefs of your peers. They’re young and naturally rebellious. Also, remember what Christ said about entering through the narrow gate, and about the wheat and the tares. He was telling us that not everyone will accept His teaching.

My “catholic” high school is so relativist it’s not even funny. All I can say is… hang in there and stick with it. And don’t groan and complain about being really Catholic - make people see that it’s a wonderful and attractive thing.

“Remember, I’m pullin’ for ya. We’re all in this together.” --Red Green

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.