Bristol Palin, Fiance Call Off Engagement

The teenage daughter of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and her fiance have broken up just over two months after the birth of the couple’s child.

People.com reported Wednesday that sources said the split between Bristol Palin, 18, and Levi Johnston, 19 occurred a few weeks ago, and Johnston confirmed to the Associated Press that he and Bristol mutually decided to end their relationship “a while ago.” He did not elaborate.

Palin said in a statement to the Associated Press that she is “devastated.”

The young Palin told FOX News’ Greta van Susteren that they intended to get married after they both finished high school.

“Eventually, we’d like to get married. We’re focusing on, like, getting through school and just getting an education and stuff, getting a career going,” Palin said. She also told FOX News that her and Johnston didn’t find being young parents “glamorous,” and they both felt having kids should wait.

foxnews.com/politics/2009/03/11/report-bristol-palin-fiance-break/

Back in the old days, a shotgun wedding would have been in order. Is it reasonable for a couple of teenagers to not wed, in the face of a pregnancy?

I think the press should leave them alone. Nothing good can come of more media exposure.

Pray for them, and let it be.

I agree. My question has less to do with them as with their situation. Is the idea of a shotgun wedding out of date? Is it acceptable for an unwed mother to raise her child with the possibility of the father coming into the picture later on?

If they are unsure about being married it is better that they do not. The child will be loved and supported one way or the other.

A “shotgun” wedding would be invalid by the Church’s teachings. In order for a marriage to be valid, there must be full consent.

This is what the Catechism says:

1625 The parties to a marriage covenant are a baptized man and woman, free to contract marriage, who freely express their consent; “to be free” means:

• not being under constraint;
  • not impeded by any natural or ecclesiastical law.

1626 The Church holds the exchange of consent between the spouses to be the indispensable element that "makes the marriage."127 If consent is lacking there is no marriage.

1627 The consent consists in a “human act by which the partners mutually give themselves to each other”: “I take you to be my wife” - "I take you to be my husband."128 This consent that binds the spouses to each other finds its fulfillment in the two "becoming one flesh."129

1628 The consent must be an act of the will of each of the contracting parties, free of coercion or grave external fear.130 No human power can substitute for this consent.131 If this freedom is lacking the marriage is invalid.

Since this is part of the teaching of the Magesterium, it would seem that “shotgun” weddings have always been considered invalid by the Catholic Church. It would also follow that marriages which were undertaken purely in order to “do the right thing” would also be questionable in their validity.

It seems to me a better choice…That baby will have a solid family to raise it

I wonder if the media’s rather vicious treatment of the young couple and of Sarah Palin over the issue may have had a role in things falling apart. I cannot imagine how much stress and embarassment they went through.

It shows how low the media will stoop ,now they are picking on teenagers…I guess it’s easier to attack them than our real problems

Indeed.

When you stop to think about it, why should the break-up even be in the news? It is not our business, it is not the media’s business. Sarah Palin is in public office, but her daughter is not.

Well, you’re right. And I am sure than her mother’s political publicity has been a nightmare to poor Bristol and Levi. I’m not not concerned with the political angle. What is important is that the child is raised with love and protection. But given the emphasis of no abortion, how much does it matter if the father is not part of the child’s upbringing?

I think that the family was not raked over the coals or mistreated by the media. Good gracious, the girl was on the stage in front of a large crowd as soon as her mom got the nod! You didn’t see McCain’s kids out there like that.

Maybe this is a lesson for mom Sarah about blind ambition. Roland Burris is learning the lesson.

I don’t see anything wrong with a candidates children being on the stage at a time like that, they were this woman’s children…Lots of people in politics do this

I doubt that her mother knew she was pregnant and maybe Bristol didn’t even know it when she was on stage

It is petty and mean for the press to pry into the life of a teenager…she is a private citizen and just a kid

It is sad that this is all so public but they should have done the right thing once they knew she was pregnant. Stop fornicating and put the baby up for adoption. That baby deserves better and it is selfish for the Palins to keep it.

I pray that they will go from here and not sin again but usually theses teen girls seem to have a second out of wedlock baby within two years with a new beau. Father # is gone hopefully she will turn this train wreck around and not start dating. If she is going to keep it them she is a mother and not available for sates until the baby is an adult.

Back in the old days, a shotgun wedding would have been in order. Is it reasonable for a couple of teenagers to not wed, in the face of a pregnancy?

Yes it’s reasonable for two teenagers not to wed. These two teenagers made a mistake, by having premarital sex. However it doesn’t mean that they should be forced to a lifetime in marriage to each other…

My parents had an unhappy marriage, and I have a lot of memories of my brothers and I are cowering while they were fighting. Yes, I totally believe that marriage is for life, and that’s while I be extremely careful when it comes to who I marry.

Trust me it would be much better for Bristol and Levi to live seperately but co parent Tripp than to raise Tripp in a marriage where one partner or both feel trapped into. This will only cause resentment towards each other and Tripp. It would be one thing if they were already married, but they aren’t, thank goodness, and so they can still make another choice.

I think the Church is very wise for discouraging shotgun marriages.

Stop fornicating and put the baby up for adoption. That baby deserves better and it is selfish for the Palins to keep it.

Let’s say that you had a young military wife, who was pregnant and her husband died before the baby was born. Would you say this girl was selfish for keeping her child? That she should just give up her baby because a baby needs two parents?

I think adoption is a wonderful thing but it’s not always the best option. Some children who are adopted, DO feel a bit abandoned you know. Bristol and the Palins can afford to raise this baby, and ensure that this baby has the best for everything. He will have his grandparents and hopefully a relationship with his father.

If she is going to keep it them she is a mother and not available for sates until the baby is an adult.

Clearly Bristol is a mother now and that has to be the most important thing. But once again, I don’t think that means no dating. Hopefully though she’s wise and will cut out the premarital sex, and will follow the experts advice which says do not introduce your children to a significant other until after six months to an engagement. So while I don’t think she should bring lots of men around, I think dating is okay (as long as it’s done morally) and she makes sure to protect her son from getting attached. (I.e hopefully the only guy Tripp meets is his future stepfather)

Please don’t get me wrong, I do think that if Bristol and Levi could make a relationship work that would be ideal. But there has to be reasons for them to get married other than Tripp, because Tripp will eventually move out and live on his own, and then it will be Bristol/Levi.

I

:thumbsup: This is exactly how I fee. Pray for them and leave them alone. Bristol could have had an abortion and no one would have known, but she took the higher road. What the press has done to her and her family is shameful.

of course, you would think this way. i would not expect you to admit the obvious. to say that sarah palin and her family were not mistreated by the media is in total denial.

what is your meaning to mom sarah and blind ambition? :confused:

i have read many of your posts and understand that you lean to the left, but this post takes the cake!!

i think keeping the baby was the best thing to do. this way, the baby remains with his biological family and will know his history. this young couple was thrust into the spotlight and it would be hard for any young couple to go through the scrutiny that they did. then the spotlight was on levi’s mother. the media needs to leave both families alone and let them work this out for themselves. and keep them in prayer.

My friends. In the name of common decency, please let this ill advised and sometimes mean spirited thread die. I have done my best to ignore it and not post this request as to not bump it to the top of the forum.

We’re better than this. Let’s discuss politicians, programs and genuine news. Not this twaddle. It’s a highly personal matter, in which none of us have a stake.

Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.