Britian's National Health Service unable to supply enough Corona Virus tests. Prince Charles gets his test (positive) though

CELEBS

Britain’s Prince Charles tests positive for new coronavirus

Britain's Prince Charles, centre, speaks to fashion designers during a visit to the British Council Arts Festival in Lagos, Nigeria, Wednesday Nov. 7,
Britain’s Prince Charles, centre, speaks to fashion designers during a visit to the British Council Arts Festival in Lagos, Nigeria, Wednesday Nov. 7, 2018.
— Sunday Alamba, Associated Press

By JILL LAWLESS AND DANICA KIRKA , ASSOCIATED PRESS
March 25, 2020 - 10:30 AM

LONDON — Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne, has tested positive for the new coronavirus, royal officials confirmed Wednesday — touching off criticism over whether his wealth and status gave him priority in receiving a test.

The 71-year-old is showing mild symptoms of COVID-19 and is self-isolating at a royal estate . . .

. . Charles is the latest high-profile figure to reveal a COVID-19 diagnosis. He joins a growing list of celebrities, athletes and other famous people who been tested for the new coronavirus, even when they didn’t have a fever or other severe tell-tale symptoms.

That has fueled the perception that the wealthy and famous have been able to jump to the head of the line to get tested while others have been turned away or met with long delays. . .

. . . The government says it tested 6,491 people on Tuesday and hopes to increase that to 25,000 tests a day within three weeks. . . .

A member of the Scottish Parliament, Joan McAlpine, expressed surprise that Charles was tested. McAlpine, a legislator with Scotland’s governing Scottish National Party wished Charles a speedy recovery, but wondered aloud whether he had received special treatment.

"Given that his symptoms are said to be mild, like many I wonder how he was tested when many NHS and social care workers cannot get tested,’’ she said on Twitter. "My nephew, who has serious asthma and a chest infection was recently refused a test.’’ . . . .

Edit:

Political satirist Mark Dice on this phenomena occurring in America too!

1 Like

It’s a question asked in the US as well. Are they being put at the head of the line because of their public status? Or, are they just getting lucky? We don’t know…but we can suspect!

1 Like

The rich and the famous. More equal than you and me. lol

In the meantime, I don’t know what to make of this report from the UK government. Do they know something we don’t?

As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCID group made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

The need to have a national, coordinated response remains, but this is being met by the government’s COVID-19 response.

Cases of COVID-19 are no longer managed by HCID treatment centres only. All healthcare workers managing possible and confirmed cases should follow the updated national infection and prevention (IPC) guidance for COVID-19, which supersedes all previous IPC guidance for COVID-19. This guidance includes instructions about different personal protective equipment (PPE) ensembles that are appropriate for different clinical scenarios.

1 Like

Prince Charles will have been in regular contact with many high level people and will also be in fairly regular contact with his family, no one should be surprised they are going to be hyper vigilant about preventing spread amongst the royal family or other government officials.

I have no doubt that MPs and other workers in Westminster will be given tests at the first sign of possible infection or after known contact with an infected person.

5 Likes

Heads of countries, those in direct line to be heads of countries are not what I call “rich and famous” in this situation. The Kardashians, yes. Basketball players, yes. President Trump, no. Vice President Pence, no. Queen Elizabeth, no. Prince Charles, no. Prime Minister Johnson, no.

I think you get the idea.

4 Likes

Where’s my tongue in cheek icon?

sallybutler . . .

Heads of countries, those in direct line to be heads of countries are not what I call “rich and famous” in this situation.

The article . . .

The 71-year-old is . . . self-isolating at a royal estate . . .

They definitely need one of those. I’m usually better at picking up on sarcasm.

_Ruby . . .

Prince Charles will have been in regular contact with many high level people . . .

What if Scottish Parliament, Joan McAlpine’s nephew with asthma who can’t get a test, was playing basketball with a bunch of other boys?

Then should he have had a test?

If the answer is “yes”, do you think such a double-standard could ENCOURAGE crowding?
(“Hmm. Let’s see. If I just get together with ten people or more, we can THEN be OKed to get our tests! Common guys. Let’s play basketball!”)

Or is it just possible
that Charles got his test done asap,
because of his social status over there?

There is a national/global shortage of tests, the tests we do have have to be administered effectively.

The impact of half of our members of parliament getting the virus and being out of action, or the Queen dying, or our heads of state spreading it to other global heads of state is going to create a whole more upheaval than other, more regular, social scenarios.

However outdated people may feel the royal family are, Prince Charles is the heir to the throne. Im sure the second he starts with a cough, they are testing him. Similarly, i’m sure the second Boris Johnson complains he feels slightly warm, they are whipping out a test for him too.

Now if the UK government were couriering a batch of Covid-19 tests to David Beckham or Elton John every time they do their weekly Tesco shop, then that would be a different scenario.

2 Likes

I think the title of this thread is misleading. The point of the story is that the heir to the throne has tested positive, not some carping about the rich getting tested.

He’s 71 years old, for goodness sake! Maybe he had some symptoms. He certainly is of the group that could be very endangered if he develops a respiratory illness.

People can tut tut about anything but basically we have an old guy who is sick. We want to make political capital out of that? That’s just not charitable.

3 Likes

Neppehan . . .

I think the title of this thread is misleading. The point of the story is . . .

You get to choose your titles, I get to choose mine.

The message I wanted to convey via this news story is exactly the message I intended.

The story provided those details. (I could have searched for a title that emphasized this aspect too I suppose.)

You have the freedom to choose your titles. I have to be allowed that same freedom.

I stand by my thread.

1 Like

You can choose any title you want and be criticized for such. No one has the freedom to be misleading. I think your title was misleading.

Now you can say that’s what you focused on but you need to explain how your title is the focus of the incident. You can’t do that. Focusing on a non-issue affects one’s credibility.

What if after the state of the union speech everyone posted about Trump needing a shoe shine? Would that be appropriate? It would say more about the poster than the speech.

1 Like

Nepperhan . . .

but you need to explain how your title

I don’t need to explain anything. And you do not get to dictate these things to me.

As I said. I stand by my thread.

1 Like

too bad the old rule about using the headline from the article doesn’t still apply

1 Like

I wasn’t dictating. If you are going to defend your use of that title against a charge that it is misleading you need to explain how your title reflects the focus of the incident. You don’t “need” to do any explaining but failure to do so or refusal to try affects your credibility.

How can covid-19 not be a HCID?

Exactly.

Have to ask them. But no one seems to be covering this. I wonder about that.

1 Like

There is a multi-page topic insuating that Trump somehow bears responsibility for two folks who decided on their own to each fish tank cleaner. Talk about fairness.

I agree with you in principle, and it doesn’t bother me that Prince Charles was tested (as much because it is always that way, and as a regular plebian, I simply have more pressing concerns day to day), but we need to be fair and consistent.

That happens when you talk from the bully pulpit. You ever see the movie “The Fisher King”? Loose rhetoric has consequences among the easily swayed. Trump should know this.

By the way, I bet you’re more a commoner than plebian.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.