British Filmmaker: Why My Stepbrother And Others Have Become Muslim Extremists

News this week of the death of Douglas McCain, an American who joined the ISIL militia and was killed in Syria, has hit close to home for Robb Leech. The British filmmaker’s stepbrother, Richard Dart, turned to Islamist extremism in 2009 and was convicted in England for plotting to commit terrorist acts in 2012, but Leech never thought of abandoning him. Instead, he turned on his cameras and delved into the militant community to learn more. The result was two documentaries: “My Brother the Islamist” and “My Brother the Terrorist.” He shares his insights with Yahoo News and Finance Anchor Bianna Golodryga.

news.yahoo.com/bianna-golodryg-interviews-robb-leech-025356716.html

it has long seemed to me that Islamic extremism is a religion of towering ambition for a handful, an outlet for murderousness for many, and of a sort of perverse spiritual despair for most.

“He was probably vulnerable,” he said, “He was probably quite lonely. He definitely was on his own journey to make sense of the world and to find meaning in life. … He met some of these guys, and they sort of took him under their wing.”

Probably a good deal fall in this paradigm.

Yes, isn’t it the case with a lot of extremist organisations or groups? Find the disaffected, the angry-but-not-sure-why and give them a cause and comrades.

I agree with UKIP’s Nigel Farrage, who recently called on David Cameron to strip UK nationals who are fighting abroad of their citizenship and cancel passports using the little-known Foreign Enlistment Act of 1870. In a press release, Farrage said, “in choosing to quit the UK to fight abroad, [UK National Islamic State Fighters] have rendered themselves effectively stateless by conforming to an ideology of wanting to create a terrifying caliphate. If they choose to leave the UK they simply should not be allowed to return. Where intelligence identifies UK nationals fighting for IS their repatriation absolutely should be blocked."

And here’s the scary part: British jihadists have been allowed to freely leave and return to the UK for quite some time, all under Mr. Cameron’s watch. Why Mr. Cameron has not resigned yet over this clear case of negligence, is beyond me.

You would think this would be automatic. Apparently they have been allowed back in the states also. Disturbing to say the least.

And how about the U.S., Canada and contintental European countries? So far as I know no move has been made to revoke citizenship for terrorists going and returnig to these countries.

Linus2nd

Reminds me of the cults that were around in the US in the 1970s…

What’s also strange is that suicide tends to be a major factor in lot of cults. For someone to allow themselves to be convinced that by killing themselves there is some sort of reward reminds me alot of some of the mass suicides we’ve had here in America in the past.

EDIT: sorry st. Francis, i didnt read your post until after responded. Oops.

Yes, cults do that too.

They take someone who feels disenfranchised, rejected by mainstream society and tell them that they are worthwhile and that their cause could use someone like him or her.

I think it is built into human nature to work for a cause bigger than themselves.

Same attraction as gangs. Ever wonder why so many in prison convert to Islam?

I didn’t think a thing about it since you said so much more!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.