British officials drop plans for Donald Trump to address parliament

theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/10/british-officials-drop-plans-donald-trump-address-parliament-queen-elizabeth

**British officials drop plans for Donald Trump to address parliament

The government has abandoned the idea of Donald Trump addressing the joint houses of parliament when he comes to Britain for a state visit later this year, following objections by MPs led by the Commons Speaker John Bercow.

The US president’s controversial visit is now expected to run from a Thursday to a Sunday in late summer or early autumn, with officials trying to ensure that President Trump is not in London at a time when parliament is sitting, in order to avoid a formal snub…

Such an arrangement would mean that Trump would not be invited to address parliament at all. The approach follows Bercow’s statement this week that he would not give his consent either to a speech by the president in Westminster Hall or in the royal gallery, both of which have traditionally been used for addresses by visiting statesmen and women.

Officials are also said to be keen to limit the president’s public exposure more generally during the visit, in order to reduce the opportunities for protests and disorder on a state occasion. Hundreds of thousands of protesters could be expected in any large city, causing major headaches for the emergency and security services. This suggests that the president will spend relatively little time in London, while the majority of the visit will be conducted behind as strict a security cordon as possible…

President Trump might be encouraged to spend a significant part of his visit in Scotland, perhaps visiting the Queen at Balmoral rather than in England, and enabling him to visit the Isle of Lewis, where his mother, Mary MacLeod was born in 1912, before she left for the US as an economic migrant. Trump also owns two golf courses in Scotland, Turnberry in Ayrshire and a purpose-built course at Balmedie north of Aberdeen.

Any visit to Scotland would raise delicate political issues for the nationalist government in Scotland led by Nicola Sturgeon, which would have to decide whether to boycott Trump or not. Scottish National party MPs at Westminster broke into applause at Bercow’s statement this week…

Even before Bercow’s intervention, government ministers are believed to have concluded that the level of objection among MPs of all parties following Trump’s executive order banning arrivals from seven mainly Muslim countries made a parliamentary invitation too politically hazardous to justify. **

A shame, really, and short-sighted. If Brexit continues, probably the last person Britain wants to insult is the president of the U.S.

Couldn’t have said it better.

Trump is on Al Queeda news right now, speaking with the Japanese PM. Trump sounds a bit more presidential, then previous press conferences.
They could have a backdrop curtain one colour though.

Do foreign leaders address the USA equivalent of parliment?

With “Trump Derangement Syndrome” now a world-wide phenomenon, if I were Trump, I think I’d stay at home and attend to my desk for a year – not to back-down from criticism, but because the megaphone of the non-stop anti-Trump (and for that matter, anti-U.S.) media is what is currently defining him. A year from now, we and the whole world will know him by his deeds, for good or for ill, and not by how the chattering classes are trying to define him.

That said, I really do wish he’d lose his phone, get off Twitter, and read up on presidential deportment.

Maybe a trial run to Australia would be helpful!:eek:

Yes. Two notable examples – British Prime Minister Winston Churchill addressed the U.S. Congress on 26 December 1941. At that time he noted his mixed British-American parentage, saying, “By the way, I cannot help reflecting that if my father had been American and my mother British instead of the other way around, I might have got here on my own.” Most recently, Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu addressed Congress on 3 March 2015. There have been others in between those two dates.

Edit to add: history.house.gov/Institution/Foreign-Leaders/Joint-Sessions/

We’ll see how this plays out. I’m wondering if there is some strategy behind this to wait until things calm down.

But I will say that even with Brexit, my patience with the UK government isn’t infinite by any means. Except for UKIP, they opposed us every step of the way and probably still do not have the interests of the people are heart.

Otherwise, I balk at the SNP. They’re bluffing and won’t want to leave unless they get more from Brussels than England.

I’m not really sure what the take is supposed to be on this, but let me just say it would be the height of hypocrisy to endorse Fillion over Le Pen if this article is meant to suggest we in the USA should not have supported Trump in the general.

The same was said of Ireland till we left the UK. The Scots may well find a moment where their interests do align more with Brussels or Europe generally. They were an independent nation for a number of centuries after all before the act of union. They would have issues at first if they did become independent again, however England also needs them so it is a two way street. I would think if they did wish to leave eventually they would be let go peacefully with no repeat of the guerrilla war that dragged on for several years between England and Ireland and due to partition left messy and unresolved business that haunts the British isles to this day.

I say let Trump speak, not everyone has to say something we like or agree with. The MPs can always pay with their phones and tablets as many ar wont to do in any case if you watch the British parliament which has a channel on British TV which is largely dedicated to showing debates there. Watching some of them almost falling asleep or engaging in what they think is sneaky use of their phones to text or play with them is quite funny at times.

I actually agree with you that it is in the interests of a Brexiting Britain - which to all intents and purposes is going to go ahead - to be in the “good books” with the U.S. President. There are going to be a great many tribulations two years hence for this country, no matter how optimistic some folks are at the moment.

Nonetheless as Trump is finding out right now with your court system, congressional delays over cabinet nominations and legal wrangles in respect of his EO, national leaders cannot always retain complete control over decisions in the way that they would ideally like. There are a lot of different, powerful voices in political systems with checks and balances. That’s how the British constitution works - according to the time-honoured principles of the rule of law, accountability of the executive to parliament and limited government.

In this case, it ‘appears’ that Theresa May’s government has had to concede ground in favour of Parliamentary opposition to a Trump address to both Houses of Parliament.

This is an embarrassment for her and a blow to Trump, no doubt.

Trump is agree finding out the hard way that there are limits to what he may or not may not do and he can’t just utter grandiose statements and enforce them and the sloganeering approach that was useful to him is beginning to outlive it’s usefulness.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, if the OP was a US citizen, he/she would not have voted for our President. Still might have voted for the other candidate. :smiley:

Or perhaps we should stop doing that ‘If you disagree with Trumo you support Clinton’ false dilemma, particularly when that approach involves trying to project an US political paradigm onto other nations. Just saying is all.

But lucky for citizens of the UK not to have to endure his address. :smiley:

:wink:

Let Britain do as it likes. And POTUS will do the same.

We have a different political system and respective partisan divide in the UK from the US.

Yes but its so entertaining

You think who the ENGLISH,insults(apparently they are in charge),ends with the Americans,We wish to be addressed by someone we can learn from and can respect,we have enough of our own carpetbagging trash

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.