British voters' Brexit wishlist - free trade, EU immigration controls, survey shows

uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-voters-idUKKBN13B1Q3

**British voters’ Brexit wishlist - free trade, EU immigration controls, survey shows

British voters want to maintain free trade with the European Union after Brexit but also want to limit immigration from countries in the bloc, according to a survey on Wednesday.**

In the United Kingdom’s June 23 referendum, a total of 17.4 million people, or 51.9 percent, voted to leave the EU while 16.1 million, or 48.1 percent, voted to remain.

The survey, which reflected the demographic profile of the British population and the referendum divide, is based on research conducted by independent social research institute NatCen during September and October via the internet and by phone with a panel of 1,391 people.

The survey also found a majority of Leave voters backed free trade, financial passporting and following EU manufacturing regulations, while a majority of Remain voters supported limiting immigration and introducing customs…

But EU leaders have repeatedly said that access to the EU’s single market is contingent on free movement of people.

mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brits-beg-theresa-keep-free-9275079

Brits beg Theresa May to keep free trade after Brexit - but 70% want curbs on immigration

Theresa May faces growing pressure to keep free trade with Europe after Brexit – as a survey reveals 90% of Brits oppose new tariffs.

But 70% also want EU immigration curbs after we leave, according to the study by polling guru Professor John Curtice.

And when asked to choose between the two, voters were almost exactly split down the middle – leaving an uphill task to strike a Brexit deal which satisfies everyone.

But, as Boris Johnson has found, the suggestion we can have both is seen by Europe as laughable and “insulting”.

In a scathing verdict after talks with Mr Johnson, Italy’s development minister Carlo Calenda said his strategy “doesn’t make sense”.

Mr Calenda added: “He basically said, ‘I don’t want free movement of people but I want the single market.’

“I said, ‘no way.’ He said, ‘you’ll sell less prosecco.’

“I said, ‘OK, you’ll sell less fish and chips, but I’ll sell less prosecco to one country – and you’ll sell less to 27 countries.’

“Putting it on this level is a bit insulting.”

Prof Curtice’s figures show that keeping free trade is the one thing that does not divide Leave and Remain voters and is more popular than curbing immigration .

How interesting,

Prof Curtice’s figures show that keeping free trade is the one thing that does not divide Leave and Remain voters and is more popular than curbing immigration

The reverse seems to be true in the U.S - you guys all want to restrict trade and put tariffs up aka Bernie Sanders on the left and Donald Trump on the right. Obviously, this could prove to be a major difference between Brexit vs Trump. America had a protectionist tradition in trade policy prior to World War II, while Britain has always been staunchly pro-free trade - somewhat unsurprisingly since we are maritime, commercial nation.

90% of Brexiteers and 94% of Europhiles back remaining in the Single Market, according to the stats.Problem is that we cannot have our cake and eat it - the EU will not grant us all of the benefits and privileges we so crave to maintain without making trade-offs in return, the primary one being free movement for EU nationals.

The EU will not bend upon this principle and the British people need to wake up to this. Merkel said that she can discuss tweaking the “details” but not the actual “principle”, which stays.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.