Broadway Shows

LA CAGE AUX FOLLES won a 2010 Tony Award. Is there anything in the show that Catholics should be concerned about? Like, is there any Catholic bashing in it? Etc.

You do realize it's about 2 homosexuals who have raised the one's son and own and operate a night club above which they live. The jist of the story was that the son is bringing his fiance's (a girl) ultra conservative parents home to meet his "parents".

The film "The Birdcage" was based upon this show. While I do not recall anything that specifically bashes the Church, it is, as has already been posted, about a homosexual couple who raised a son (the biological son of one of the men) and then try to hide who they are to impress a conservative couple (because the conservative heterosexual couple will be the the son's future in-laws).

If you're interested in faith and the arts, here's a link to a great blogsite:

churchandart.wordpress.com/

Thanks moles. (That's a lot of thanks. See www.moleday.org. Nothing about faith and morals, but interesting.)

Is this thread about Broadway Shows in general? If so I love them. I've never been to Broadway, I've never even been to America, but I have been to London's West End a few times. I've seen Beauty and the Beast, Starlight Express, Whistle Down the Wind, Billy Eliot and my all time favourite Phantom of the Opera which I've seen twice and I'd happily go back to see it againa and again.

La Cage Aux Folles was just... amazing. This revival was amaaaaaazing.
I saw it last year, met Kelsey Grammer... It was just a good experience in general.
I went to NYC with a class of mine, all drama students... Best show we saw that year, hands down. (Well, aaalmost, it's sorta tied with Memphis and the new production of Our Town.)

Anyway, I quite enjoy La Cage, especially the revival cast.

... But, I suppose I'm hell bound for that too. :rolleyes:

[quote="23moleday, post:1, topic:232258"]
LA CAGE AUX FOLLES won a 2010 Tony Award. Is there anything in the show that Catholics should be concerned about? Like, is there any Catholic bashing in it? Etc.

[/quote]

you mean besides glorifying the gay lifestyle?
did someone here tell OP he would go to hell for seeing this or any broadway musical?

[quote="puzzleannie, post:8, topic:232258"]
you mean besides glorifying the gay lifestyle?
did someone here tell OP he would go to hell for seeing this or any broadway musical?

[/quote]

I hope God's standards are not as high as yours. My 80 year old mother, who goes to daily mass, and still goes to confession, watched Bird Cage and found it to be very funny.

Are you serious? I love Broadway and musicals, I didn’t know it was a sin to watch them, why would God make them a sin? Nothing’s wrong with them, sure people say they’re gay and some do feature things that may be considered sin but… please tell me you’re lying! They brought so much happiness to me!

puzzleannie is one of the most reasonable people on CAF. I think she was speaking tongue in cheek?

I know only one things that religions should not be exploited in any shows because people are very sensitive about that.

besides glorifying the flamboyantly over gay lifestyle?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.