Broke Up With Non-Catholic Boyfriend

Hey all,
As some of you know, I was dating a man who was a non-practicing Catholic (he considered himself non-Denomentional). Well, last night we broke up. It was the first time I ever broke up with somebody (normally they reject me). Most of my friends think I did a very stupid thing. One of them said “he’s cute, wealthy, and likes bigger girls, and you gave that up?!” I know he was too good for me, but I knew we couldn’t work long term, he has a lot of anger toward the Catholic church in general. :frowning: But I still feel at peace somewhat (I mean, we were talking about getting married, and I’m DESPERATE to get married) about it (I’m not drinking I swear), just listening to Brad Paisley (minus the sappy songs), and petting my cats. I guess I wanted to air it out to people who wouldn’t think I was a complete moron.

Cute, wealthy and likes bigger girls? That’s so mean!

I’m sorry you broke up with him, but I think, without knowing ANYTHING else but made the right choice-religion is so important.

Praying for you-and I’ll try not to say some cliche like, “You’ll find more”,

It goes without saying that you will, indeed, FIND MORE.

:smiley:

:console:

You are an awesome woman! If married life is your calling, I have no doubt the right man will come along. I know you hate waiting, but it's just not something you can force to happen faster. In the mean time, welcome back to the singles club. :rolleyes:

I woke up at 3:22 AM this morning, could not go back to sleep and was wondering that you had not posted for awhile. I prayed for you then.

Good job. If you have such widely differing views and values, it never would have worked in the long term. It hurts now, but it's so much better to be brave and break it off than to drag it out, just for fear of letting go. :)

*I’m sorry CS…But, just from how he reacted (you posted this elsewhere) to you attending mass…it might have become an obstacle in your relationship, and possibly in your faith, if you grew closer and in love with him. What you did took courage, girl! Men will come and go…but your faith should never take the backseat for anyone…I can’t help but wonder however, if you could have been the catalyst to bringing him back to the faith, but it seems like you weren’t sensing that.

What did he say??

I heard from a poster today in a pm…and it seems like a lot of growing is going on here – I love it. :extrahappy:*

Good for you for putting your faith first. That is always the right decision. I don`t know the reasons why you broke up but it sounds like one of them was differences in faith. I know it hurts now, but you are sparing yourself a lot of heartbreak down the road.

As you make decisions, put God first and everything else will fall into place.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Sincerely,

Maria1212

[quote="Havard, post:3, topic:185403"]
:console:

You are an awesome woman! If married life is your calling, I have no doubt the right man will come along. I know you hate waiting, but it's just not something you can force to happen faster. In the mean time, welcome back to the singles club. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Do I get a cookie? :D eats cookie right away because I'm fat I get to be Vice-President of the club, right? :D wears VP hat anyway First order of business is "how to dress sexy at Mass so the hot guy sitting next to you will notice you, but not ask "How Much?"" :D

[quote="whatevergirl, post:6, topic:185403"]
*I'm sorry CS...But, just from how he reacted (you posted this elsewhere) to you attending mass...it might have become an obstacle in your relationship, and possibly in your faith, if you grew closer and in love with him. What you did took courage, girl! Men will come and go...but your faith should never take the backseat for anyone...I can't help but wonder however, if you could have been the catalyst to bringing him back to the faith, but it seems like you weren't sensing that.

What did he say??*

I heard from a poster today in a pm...and it seems like a lot of growing is going on here -- I love it. :extrahappy:

[/quote]

He basically insulted Catholic beliefs and implied that we were all stupid. And that he was "enlightened" because he left. I could work with differing beliefs, but you have to at a bare minimum respect the other person. No one calls me stupid and gets away with it. I would love to be able to bring him back to the Church, but the person has to want to come back.

I'm not too mature though, I was tempted to act out the music video for "Before He Cheats". :p But that wouldn't be very Catholic. But one my cats did scratch him. :p

I agree what your friends said was off-base and mean. But you did the right thing by breaking things off before you two got too attached; especially since he was giving you grief about going to mass. For what its worth CS, you have a great sense of humor and seem like an awesome person. You deserve better.

*You did the right thing. I pray for him, though…on so many levels, I wanted this to work out for you. But, I cringed when you told me his reaction to you attending mass…and that is tough to turn a blind eye to. But, some women would:o, some women do just about anything to hold onto a man…so you see…you showed yourself something today. You’re my hero of the week. :smiley: Really, it took courage…I know you liked him, it wasn’t easy, I’m sure.

God’s graces are pouring down upon you today…stand firm, stand firm! :highprayer::knight2:*

Good. Find your next boyfriend in your parish or through some parish activity.

[quote="whatevergirl, post:11, topic:185403"]
*You did the right thing. I pray for him, though...on so many levels, I wanted this to work out for you. But, I cringed when you told me his reaction to you attending mass...and that is tough to turn a blind eye to. But, some women would:o, some women do just about anything to hold onto a man...so you see...you showed yourself something today. You're my hero of the week. :D Really, it took courage...I know you liked him, it wasn't easy, I'm sure.

God's graces are pouring down upon you today...stand firm, stand firm! :highprayer::knight2:*

[/quote]

Thank you so much for your kind words. And thanks to everyone else as well. I usually am the woman who would give up everything to be with a man, but this time, something didn't feel right. It was a feeling that wouldn't go away.

One of my new friends called, and we are doing dinner and Target (one of my favorite stores). :p

Hey, good for you, seriously! I know how hard that was for you too because I had to do the same thing with my last boyfriend. He was nominally practicing as well, however that wasn’t the only issue but something just wasn’t right. Otherwise he was good looking and had enough money to be able to provide for me, etc. And I do still have great feelings for him but I just know he’s not right for me. So you aren’t alone in your club! :wink: I wanna cookie and a hat too… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="CountrySinger, post:13, topic:185403"]
Thank you so much for your kind words. And thanks to everyone else as well. I usually am the woman who would give up everything to be with a man, but this time, something didn't feel right. It was a feeling that wouldn't go away.

One of my new friends called, and we are doing dinner and Target (one of my favorite stores). :p

[/quote]

Too bad we don't live closer...we could grab a cup 'a joe together. :D I will say that if your bf was at least willing to attend mass with you, at least willing to open his mind back up to the faith, I would think maybe things ''could'' work...but if he is badmouthing the Church, it is best that things ended. I hope you find someone who loves the faith like you, and will love you, too. Someday...keep praying. :)

I like your signature, that’s cute. :smiley:

Welcome back, pretty lady. :hug1: There was a certain humor component missing from the singles club for a while. :p Don't listen to your friends on this...wait for that special Catholic man and you will make an awesome Catholic wife. :)

[quote="CountrySinger, post:1, topic:185403"]
" I know he was too good for me,

[/quote]

Just curious but which 'friend' put that silly idea into your head. I man who criticises the church is never too good for anyone. God wants more for you

CM

No one is “too good” for you…And if I was there when your friend said that…they’d think twice about saying something like that again. Cute may or may not last…wealthy, who cares? (What good is it to gain the world if you lose your soul?) Wow…honey, you need a guy whose heart is after God…honestly, I think you were too good for him!

A true Catholic man does not dominate or browbeat a woman. He does not belittle her or treat her like scum. He sees past a woman’s physical looks and spiritual past to gaze on her true beauty. He loves her so much, he’d give up his life to save hers. He stays faithful, regardless of what the world says, to the end of his days.

I pray you find a man like that. Because you deserve someone like that. Don’t ever let anyone tell you you don’t.

Heh. You sound like my sister. I told her once that this guy from my church was out of my league, and she reacted like I had just said I smoked crack. Good advice here, lady! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.