Broken families make holidays more stressful

I grew up in a relatively stable nuclear family. My parents love each other and love us kids. However, my family was the exception among practically everyone I knew, only one of my friends still has two married biological parents, and one of my friends’ parents divorced several years after we met.

My brother got married and divorced, having a child in the meantime. Now our family is broken too, since my Ex SIL is really part of the family now. (my brothers psychological issues have kind of brought us together.)

The problem is that when holidays like Easter or Christmas come around, the whole family has to be together (including my ex SIL and my brother. We all have to avoid certain topics because my brother will get mad and ruin everything.)

What do you guys do in situations like this? This is one of the reasons why I don’t want to get married. Statistically either us or one of our kids would be divorced.

I know my SIL has to bounce among three different families each holiday because her husband’s parents are divorced. It means she can only spend a few hours with each family and has to eat Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner three times, but it’s the only way to make it work. I’m sure it kind of ruins every holiday (it sure would for me!) but it’s just one of the many, many ways children suffer when their parents divorce.

Interesting thing about divorce statistics-- one size doesn’t fit all. The divorce rate for practicing Catholics who are college educated and marry after the age of 26 is very low. If you choose to wait to marry, and really work on finding a mate that you not only love but also understands the gravity of the undertaking of the sacrament of marriage you will have a much better chance of having a successful marriage.

If/when you have kids, hopefully you will pass along a view of marriage that they will take to heart when looking for a mate, assuming that marriage is their vocation. :slight_smile:

Here’s a recent article: calcatholic.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?id=db7805a8-1799-4de1-ba3e-477970cdbf76

I’ve read similar studies which cite a divorce rate among the 26+ age group and educated at around 21%-- still too high, but significantly lower than the 50% number bandied around in the media.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.