Brother and Sister Fight Germany's Incest Laws

guardian.co.uk/world/2007/feb/27/germany.kateconnolly

A German brother and sister are challenging the law against incest so that they can continue their relationship free from the threat of imprisonment. Patrick Stubing, an unemployed locksmith, and his sister Susan have had four children together since starting a sexual relationship in 2000. Three of the children are in foster care, and two have unspecified disabilities. The couple, who live near Leipzig, grew up separately and only met many years later. Their supporters say they will fight until incest is no longer regarded as a criminal offense, arguing that the law is out of date. **They say it harks back to the racial hygiene laws of the Third Reich and should be overturned in favour of freedom of choice and sexual determination. ** Detractors insist that incest should remain a social taboo, largely because of the risks linked to inbreeding and the imbalance in social relations it inevitably causes.

…Napoleon abolished France’s incest laws in 1810. Neither is it a crime in the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, Portugal or Turkey, Japan, Argentina and Brazil have also legalised it in recent years.

What most bothers me about all of this is that Portugal a Catholic country, legalizes incest. Why would Portugal do so? Finally, it is interesting the three arguments that they use against the incest laws: it is similar to the racial hygeine laws, freedom of choice, sexual determination. :banghead:

Sounds familiar, doesn’t it?

I knew this would be coming.
Gay marriage, brother/sister marriage,inter-species marriage…:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I’m in no way pro-incest, but wouldn’t Adams children have had to have incest to populate the earth?

You need to direct that question to a higher source:)

Yeah :slight_smile:

See, I doubt very many more people would commit incest if it was legal, and the law isn’t stopping those who are. Legalising it stops them from living in fear I suppose.
It’s a strange situation to be sure.

There are worse things going on in the wider world than this to be honest. It would be fetter to fight world poverty than incest in the West IMHO.

Come on, now, it’s just an alternative lifestyle. Who are we to judge?

Let’s try to be a little more tolerant and diversified, shall we? There should be no caps on love, don’t you agree? If you have a thing for little boys, or sheep, cattle, horses, house plants, or even corpses, you should not be restricted from expressing your love.

Right?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Wow…

Yeah, that’s what happens when you keep asking those judges to apply more grease to the slippery slope.

50 years ago, the idea of two homosexuals being permitted to “marry” and adopt children would have drawn exactly the same response as yours: “:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Wow…”

50 years from now, we’re likley to be looking around and asking ourselves, "How the hell did we get here???"

Once you remove the sluice gate to allow just a little bit to flow out, the water starts to pour through, and it gets harder and harder to close it again…and eventually the pressure blows the gate off, the reservoir empties out, and destroys the valley down below.

Eh. Maybe it’s time. History is full of examples of cultures who adopted trhe “anything is fine” philosophy and ended up getting replaced by a newer, stronger, more vibrant culture that actually had a values system and demanded that everyone live by it. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Muslims inherit the earth in the next hundred years.

I don’t know what that has to do with anything
:blush:

Yes, early on it was necessary.

[quote=Teen4Christ]I don’t know what that has to do with anything
[/quote]

Think on it for a while. It’ll dawn on you eventually.

Isn’t it legal here?

In the US? a) doubt it very much b) certainly HOPE not! :eek:

:thumbsup:

Equal rights under the law. The argument will surely be made. Everybody is entitled to marriage, to whatever or whomever they wish. Marriage itself, as a cultural notion, becomes meaningless.

Don’t think the argument won’t be made, especially by NAMBLA, who will argue that minors are entitled to equal rights to marry. They are already entitled to abortion at their own volition.

This will probably be added tot he “hate crimes” list. I mean, anything the Bible speaks out against is destined to be added to that list, isn’t it?

Did the Bible speak out against the necessary incest at the dawn of mankind?

See Leviticus 18:16-18 and 20 for prohibitions against incest, 2 Samuel 13 and 1 Corinthians 5:1-5 for God and the Church punishing people who committed incest.

"Be careful to observe all my statues and all my decrees; otherwise the land where I am bringing you to dwell will vomit you out.
Do not conform, therefore, to the customs of the nations whom I am driving out of your way, because all these things that they have done have filled me with disgust for them.
But to you I have said: Their land shall be your possession, a land flowing with milk and honey. I am giving it to you as your own, I, the LORD, your God, who have set you apart from the other nations.** Leviticus 20:22-24 **

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.