Brown Scapular Enrollment

Is there a difference between having a priest bless a scapular and enrolling someone who wears the scapular? What Father said was not the enrollment script as far as I know; it was more along the lines of blessings in the past that I have heard said over rosaries, etc. Would it be worth asking another priest to officially enroll me?

When I was enrolled, the priest didn’t read a script - he used wording of his own and then told me to contact a local Carmelite church to add my name to the Confraternity. So after he had enrolled me verbally, I emailed the local Carmelite church and then got enrolled officially. I think some priests don’t know much about the Scapular, so I’d suggest you ask the priest who blessed it for you, and/or contact a local Carmelite church, because they’d know all about it.
Hope this helps:)

The two priests who enrolled me and my husband at our request both used the script written by the Carmelites.

Yes, you still need to be enrolled in the Scapular. Find an older priest who was educated before Vatican II, or else a priest from the Third World. For some reason, younger priests educated in the West are not taught these things.

Can you wear a Brown Scapular if your in a state of mortal sin?

You could wear it to Confession … :shrug:

Putting on the Brown Scapular is more than just wearing the piece of cloth. The habits of morning and evening prayer, First Saturday devotions, and frequent Confession that go along with the enrollment should provide you with the graces you need to avoid mortal sin altogether - however, stuff happens, and if you do find yourself in a state of sin, whether you are wearing it at the time or not, simply go to Confession at your earliest opportunity.

[quote="jmcrae, post:6, topic:176567"]
You could wear it to Confession ... :shrug:

The habits of morning and evening prayer, First Saturday devotions, and frequent Confession that go along with the enrollment should provide you with the graces you need to avoid mortal sin altogether

[/quote]

Is there an obligation to perform morning and evening prayer and First Saturday devotions when enrolled in the Scapular?

“Obligation” is too strong a word, since you can’t become “un-enrolled” or punished in any other way for not doing them - however, yes, the expectation is there, that you would be doing these things - it’s part of the deal. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.