Brown Scapular/ Fatima question

Just yesterday, I learned about the messages that Our Lady gave us at Fatima. I decided to buy a brown Scapular today, but I’m suddenly not sure if it’s the right kind. The pamplet I read about Fatima mentioned the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Mine is a Brown Scapular, but was labeled in the store as a “Crusader” Scapular. A few questions:

1. Does it matter which Scapular I got, or can I keep this one?
  2. Do I need to go through any kind of initiation for my devotion to Mary (ie talk to a priest)?
  3. Can I wear my Scapular under my shirt? I normally wear just a t-shirt, and I also have a Jerusalem cross pendant from a Kairos retreat, so can the Scapular be against my bare chest?

Yes

1. The crusader scapular is a brown scapular, just a different style than others, geared toward athletic types mostly. So you can keep this.

2. You need to invested by a priest.

3. Yes.

The brown scapular you have is alright and represents Our Lady of Mount Carmel. It is also know as the Athlete’s brown scapular. You can also get them with different saints on them, like St Therese and St Michael.

You need to be enrolled into the devotion of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. A Carmelite or a Catholic priest can perform the short ceremony; just ask them. Before Vat II they used to enroll children at their First Holy Communion. Today they don’t do that. You are enrolled for life. So if you wear out a scapular, just buy another one and wear it. They do not have to be blessed. You can find out about Brown Scapulars by going to freebrownscapular.com; I’m not sure thats the exact web address but it will get you there I think.

So I can just get a hold of my priest tomorrow after Mass and have him perform the ceremony?

Don’t be surprised if your priest is not aware of the prayers for enroIlment. Twice in the past couple of years I’ve asked two different priests when I was replacing a worn to threads scapular. Both said they weren’t aware of special prayers, but blessed the scapular as a sacramental. Since I was enrolled as a child, I didn’t press it any further.

It only takes a few minutes to perform, but it is a little ceremony. If you call your priest ahead of time rather than just trying to catch him on a busy Sunday, you may find him more amenable to performing the ceremony. Here it is in English.

Priest - Show us, O Lord, Thy mercy.
Respondent - And grant us Thy salvation.
P - Lord, hear my prayer.
R - And let my cry come unto Thee.
P - The Lord be with you.
R - And with your Spirit.
P - Lord Jesus Christ, Savior of the human race, sanctify by Thy power these scapulars, which for love of Thee and for love of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Thy servants will wear devoutly, so that through the intercession of the same Virgin Mary, Mother of God, and protected against the evil spirit, they persevere until death in Thy grace. Thou who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.

THE PRIEST SPRINKLES WITH HOLY WATER THE SCAPULAR AND THE PERSON(S) BEING ENROLLED. HE THEN INVESTS HIM (THEM), SAYING:

P - Receive this blessed scapular and beseech the Blessed Virgin that through Her merits, you may wear it without stain. May it defend you against all adversity and accompany you to eternal life. Amen.

AFTER INVESTITURE THE PRIEST CONTINUES WITH THE PRAYERS:

P - I, by the power vested in me, admit you to participate in all the spiritual benefits obtained through the mercy of Jesus Christ by the Religious Order of Mount Carmel. In the name of the Father + and of the Son + and of the Holy Ghost. + Amen.

May God Almighty, the Creator of Heaven and earth, bless + you, He who has deigned to join you to the Confraternity of the Blessed Virgin of Mount Carmel; we beseech Her to crush the head of the ancient serpent so that you may enter into possession of your eternal heritage through Christ our Lord.
R - Amen.

THE PRIEST THEN SPRINKLES AGAIN WITH HOLY WATER THE PERSON(S) ENROLLED.

Go here for the Brown Scapular, freebrownscapular.com/

Also, just do a search for “brown scapular investiture”. As I recall there are a number of sites that have the ceremony printed out. Just hi-light, copy and paste.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.