brown scapular question

Hi :slight_smile:

I don’t actually have a brown scapular yet, but I’m going to get one.

I was just wondering…

let’s say you have one of those scapulars with the crucifix and St Benedict attached to it… is that really uncomfortable to sleep in? I wouldn’t want to take it off…lol… but if it is, can you have another scapular without the medal/crucifix, that you just wear at night?

my question is…would that be valid…and would both scapulars be blessed?

because I read that you only get one scapular blessed, your first one, when you get ‘invested’. And the blessing ‘transfers’ to the others ones, when the first one wears out. But what if you just have two…are both blessed then?

sorry this is sort of confusing lol…

You’ll forgive me, but wouldn’t St. Benedict need his own bed? LOL! Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :blush: To answer your question, you are not obligated to wear any medals with the brown scapular, indeed, the Order of the Brothers of Our Lady of Mount Carmel prefer it if you don’t. And you can substitute the scapular medal for the brown scapular if you like. Sacramentals aren’t meant to be a burden but a spiritual help.

my question is…would that be valid…and would both scapulars be blessed?

Do you mean you would be wearing two different scapulars? I don’t think you need to do that or really want to, do you? There’s no need to wear more than one kind of scapular. They are only meant to be reminders of your baptismal vows so by choosing one kind you are committing yourself to the charism of that scapular.

because I read that you only get one scapular blessed, your first one, when you get ‘invested’. And the blessing ‘transfers’ to the others ones, when the first one wears out. But what if you just have two…are both blessed then?

sorry this is sort of confusing lol…

The blessing doesn’t transfer from one scapular to the other–the blessing is on you, so it doesn’t matter if you wear one or ten. Any scapular you are enrolled in you are the one receiving the blessing. But, once again, it would be less confusing and probably more beneficial for you to choose one kind and follow the charism it represents.

aaah sorry!! :blush: big typo there. :slight_smile:

St Benedict medal

lol!!

To answer your question, you are not obligated to wear any medals with the brown scapular, indeed, the Order of the Brothers of Our Lady of Mount Carmel prefer it if you don’t. And you can substitute the scapular medal for the brown scapular if you like. Sacramentals aren’t meant to be a burden but a spiritual help.

I know they’re not necessary :slight_smile:

Do you mean you would be wearing two different scapulars? I don’t think you need to do that or really want to, do you? There’s no need to wear more than one kind of scapular. They are only meant to be reminders of your baptismal vows so by choosing one kind you are committing yourself to the charism of that scapular.

hmm yea I meant what if you have two brown scapulars, can you wear one sometimes, and the other one at other times… or should you just store the other one for later, if the first one gets worn out.

The blessing doesn’t transfer from one scapular to the other–the blessing is on you, so it doesn’t matter if you wear one or ten. Any scapular you are enrolled in you are the one receiving the blessing. But, once again, it would be less confusing and probably more beneficial for you to choose one kind and follow the charism it represents.

what do you mean by ‘charism’? does each brown scapular have its own charism? what does that mean?

btw I meant brown scapulars only :slight_smile: not two different types of scapulars.

God bless.

btw, here is another reason I’m asking:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=366308
(it’s in another thread…)
if anyone knows the answer to my other question, that would be great too :slight_smile:

I know it’s confusing :smiley:

Yeah, just having a little fun with ya there. :wink:

I know they’re not necessary :slight_smile:

That’s good. Some people think they are, believe it or not. :shrug:

hmm yea I meant what if you have two brown scapulars, can you wear one sometimes, and the other one at other times… or should you just store the other one for later, if the first one gets worn out.

Oh sure. You can wear one and store the other or wear one until it wears out and then wear the other, it doesn’t matter at all.

what do you mean by ‘charism’? does each brown scapular have its own charism? what does that mean?

Well, the “brown scapular” is the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Most people who wear it follow the spirituality (the charism) of the Carmelites.

btw I meant brown scapulars only :slight_smile: not two different types of scapulars.

Ah, I see. That clears that up. :slight_smile:

God bless.

You’re quite welcome. God bless you too!

I took the liberty of answering your question there. I hope it helps you.

thank you for all your help :slight_smile: God bless!

I don’t personally have a problem with wearing the scapular with a crucifix and St. Benedict medal to bed. It’s not really any more uncomfortable than wearing any scapular to bed. I don’t think it matters if you use a different one at night if you want. You’re the one who’s getting blessed, not the scapular(if you know what I mean). I may be wrong, but this is how I always understood it.

I also answered your question here.:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.