Brown Scapular will save you from hell

Ive been told , by a Priest, that if i wear a brown scapular i wont got to hell if i die while wearing it. I dont know where to buy one. Please help

You can find them in most any Catholic goods store, or online at places such as search.aquinasandmore.com/results.php?i=search.aquinasandmore.com&keywords=brown+scapular&x=20&y=18 .

However, remember that the brown scapular is not “magic.” It is a sign of your consecration to Mary, and your spiritual association with the Carmelite order to whom Mary gave the scapular. When you wear it, you should be mindful that you are a child of Mary and a child of God, and you should do your best to avoid sin, to do good, and to repent when you fall into sin. Like any sacramental, it is a reminder of our faith and how we should live it out — in this case, under the maternal protection of Mary. If you don’t wear it in that spirit, it won’t do you any good.

When you get your scapular you should ask your priest to enroll you in it.

You may have misunderstood the Priest, or he is sadly mistaken. The scapular is not a good luck charm, nor a ticket to heaven. It is a sacramental.

You can find more info here

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]The Carmelite Scapular is not:[/FONT]
[LIST]
*][FONT=‘Trebuchet MS’, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]a magical charm to protect you [/FONT]
*][FONT=‘Trebuchet MS’, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]an automatic guarantee of salvation [/FONT]
*][FONT=‘Trebuchet MS’, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]an excuse for not living up to the demands of the Christian life [/FONT][/LIST][FONT=Arial]It is a sign:[/FONT]
[LIST]
*][FONT=‘Trebuchet MS’, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]which has been approved by the Church for over seven centuries; [/FONT]
*][FONT=Arial]which stands for the decision to [/FONT][LIST]
*][FONT=‘Trebuchet MS’, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]follow Jesus like Mary: [/FONT]
*][FONT=‘Trebuchet MS’, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]be open to God and to his will [/FONT]
*][FONT=‘Trebuchet MS’, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]be guided by faith, hope, and love [/FONT]
*][FONT=‘Trebuchet MS’, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]to pray at all times [/FONT]
*][FONT=‘Trebuchet MS’, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]to discover God present in all that happens around us. [/FONT][/LIST][/LIST]
http://carmelnet.org/scapular/clearpixel.gif

I have to agree that you must have misunderstood or this particular Priest was mistaken, this will tell you what the scapular is and is not.

carmelnet.org/scapular/rules/rules.htm

I have a brown scapular, but I don’t wear it because I don’t feel like I’m quite there yet in my faith journey to wear it, and I don’t want to be sort of a hypocrite. As others have mentioned, it’s not a good luck charm but rather a sacramental symbolizing a commitment.

yes, the priest said if im wearing it, in no wise will i go to hell. he didnt say id go to heaven, i guess then pergatory.

Hi, well, whats the use if it just symbolizes something. why dont you feel worthy to wear it. you must think it has some power or something

Hi, …enroll me? what, in this Carmelite Order? if all else fails, enrolling in this order keeps me out of hell, where do i sign?

Hey all. this is what the Old priest was saying. he was talking to a small group of kids, real young, about 5, 6 and 7. he didnt mention one word of them having to join a club. he told them that they wouldnt go to hell if they died wearing that. And, when they have to take it off, like bathing or sleeping, they take it off then kiss it then set it down. thats exactly what he said.i5ts not everything he said, just the highlights. he might have given them a pep talk on morality. im sure he did.

Your Priest is wrong. Period. Wearing a scapular is not a ticket to heaven, hell, or purgatory. Once again, it is a sacramental.

Please read the links I and others have provided.

I wear a scapular and I have worn mine now since I asked my mum for one when I was 16. I don’t accept its a “good luck” charm, but as others have said rather a conscreation to our Holy Mother and Our Lord. Mary doesn’t save us, Jesus does, but she leads up to Jesus and Jesus takes the words of his mother to heart seriously and considers them - the whole turning the water to wine on her request when it wasn’t yet Jesus’ time.

Anyway, the way I view it as a sign to satan and demons that I am a child of God and of Mary - who is often depicted smushing a snake’s head with her heel. If I should die and have not been to confession lately that conscreation will help my soul by pass purg. according to the origin.

But its not just a quick ticket passed the transit lounge. I knew a catholic lady who wore one who’d had three abortions. She actually wore it during each of those murders. I’d imagine that if she crossed the road and got hit by a bus after those abortions, scapular or not she’ll be burning in hell for the mortal sins she’s committed.

By all means, we need to keep in perspective what “saves us from hell”.

It’s not a Brown Scapular.

It’s not Mary.

It’s not being a member of the Carmelite order.

It’s not being a member of the Catholic Church.

It’s Christ’s redeeming sacrifice, and our belief in him.

Sacramentals can be very valuable in focusing our attention toward Christ. They can be also be misused to focus our attention away from him as well.

hi, well i went to some scapular sites and found out that they are just reminders. not get out of hell free cards. dang! i was about to buy one. thanks for the help guys

Hey, if it helps you focus on Christ, get one.

No such thing as a get-out-of-hell-free card. :shrug:

hi, im new to the catholic faith. a friend joined and told me i should join. so when you say sacramentals, youre talking about all the nick nacks and statues all over the place inside of the churches?

Welcome! Sacramentals include such things as holy water, medals, Rosaries, scapulars, statues, etc. They do not give us grace like the sacaments do, but they serve as reminders of our faith.

Have you been officially received into the Church yet? Or are you “just visiting”? If you haven’t already done so, you might want to join the RCIA program where you will learn all kinds of things about the Church, have your questions answered, and prepare to receive the sacraments of initiation (Baptism if you are not already baptized, Confirmation, and Eucharist).

I don’t think it has “power” in the sense you imply. But it does represent a form of devotion that I don’t currently participate in; so to wear it as if I did would be dishonest.

well, thanks friend.I dont know anything about a RICA , i have been baptised. just believe in the catholic ways and your catholic…i guess

I’m sorry, but that’s not how it works. “21 Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven.” Mt. 7:21. Likewise, not everyone that says, “I believe, I believe” can enter the doors of the Catholic Church. Not that you physically can’t, but you can’t enter as a true Catholic unless you do the following three things (possible four if you list them differently). You have to 1) be baptized (which you have been so there’s no worries here), 2) get Confirmed, and 3) make your first Confession and recieve the Eucharist. I’m not sure if RCIA classes are required, but I strongly suggest that you take them so you get a full understanding of the faith.

Pax,
Zach

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.