Brown Scapular

I was so happy when the International Pilgrim Image of Our Lady of Fatima visited our church yesterday. I attended together with the hundreds of people who came and celebrated the Holy Mass with Our Lady of Fatima. After the Mass, I saw that outside the church was a small booth of Fatima where we can buy Scapulars, Rosaries and Pictures of Fatima. I bought myself a Brown Scapular and i got a Fatima booklet for free. and i looked for a Priest to have it blessed. I’m so happy with Brown Scapular. I feel that The Blessed Virgin Mary is with me always and i can feel her presence.

I have a question, i heard that having a Brown Scapular, you have to “enroll” yourself in the Confraternity of The Blessed Virgin or similar to that. I had my scapular blessed already is it enough or do i have to do the “enrollment” thing.Either way, Im happy with my scapular and proud to have one! :slight_smile:

Wonderful news, “aziul”! I’m so happy for you! :extrahappy:

In answer to your question, I would suggest that you speak to your parish priest. The enrollment takes only a few minutes. You might wish to make an appointment with him, to have it done.

I can’t say enough good things about the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. I would recommend it to everyone.

God bless you!

Right. It only takes a few minutes and the prayers said comes from a book called “The Book of Blessings” most parishes have a copy of this book. Once enrolled you do not have to be “re-enrolled” when you get a new scapular, they eventually wear out and need to be replaced. It is the person that is enrolled not the scapular. When I have to buy new ones I still get them Blessed though.
I too also recommend to everyone. It’s a great devotion to our Lady. Congratulations!:thumbsup:

Paul

Is it really a must to have it enrolled?

I am really getting more and more interested in The Brown Scapular and The Holy Rosary.

Thanks in advance everyone and God Bless

Hi again “aziul”. I found this link, it might give you a clearer understanding of what the Brown Scapular is and how the devotion should be followed. Hope this helps. God bless.

rc.net/lansing/ctk/carmelites/ocds1.htm

that is wonderful! :slight_smile: yes, you should get enrolled, that’s a great idea! :slight_smile: by your enrollment, you’ll receive more graces because you’ll share in the works and prayers of Carmel.
the ceremony is just the priest saying some prayers with you.

here is a good article that helped me understand what the scapular is all about:

cmri.org/05-brownscap.html

God bless!

Hey, i am really glad to see you’re gonna be enrolled in the scapular, i have just got a beautiful one from some Carmelite sisters in America it’s very well made and is quite sturdy looking so it should last.

anyway, does anyone know whether or not the promises are both endorsed by the church because i heard that the one promising salvation was questionable, could someone possibly give me some clarification here??? since i love the scapular but am a bit worried that it could easily become superstitious. (I do understannd that it is a symbol of our devotion to Jesus and Mary but how does this all work theologically?

sorry if this sounds a bit heavy!
Pax vobiscum

You may certainly wear the scapular without being officially enrolled and it can serve as a sacramental to help you in your Christian life, but there are extra benefits that apply to a person enrolled in the scapular.

The situation is similar to that of praying with a blessed set of rosary beads. You may certainly pray the rosary profitably with unblessed beads, or with no beads at all, but the Church has endowed blessed rosary beads with additional graces and indulgences for those who use them with devotion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.