Brown Scapular

Hello all! I wanted to ask wearers of the Brown scapular, or anyone who might know, what is totally involved in it. I have read differing things about the requirements for the wearers, so I am not sure about everything I’d need to do if I got enrolled. Can anyone describe to me in detail all the practices, prayers, etc., wearers must comply with?

Thank you so, so much!

My dear friend

No answers? check this website for the full story carmelitedcj.org/saints/scapular.asp If you die clothed in it after being enrolled you will not go to hell is the main one.

The Sabbatine Privilege

The Sabbatine Privilege is a special promise extended to all who wear the scapular and are enrolled in the scapular. The privilege was approved by Pope John XXII, and was later confirmed by Pope Gregory XIII, Pope Clement VII, and Pope St. Pius V. The privilege states that those souls who keep the necessary requirements of the privilege will be released from purgatory by Our Lady the Saturday after they die. The requirements are: 1.The scapular must be worn and the wearer must be enrolled in the scapular. 2. Chastity to one’s state in life must be observed. 3. One must fast from meat on Wednesdays and Saturdays. 4. You must recite the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin or the rosary everyday.

God bless you and do get enroled and wear it always.:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

Hi dove51 - I’ve been wearing mine for nearly 3 years now and I wouldn’t think of not wearing it! I wish more people would piously wear scapulars. It would be a great day to walk down the street and see brown straps at necklines!

My dear friend

Welcome to the biggest family on earth- Gods family. Welcome to the church.
What does EMHC stand for ? I’m curious because Apr 11th is my birthday too.

God bless:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

Hi John - Wow what a celebration my family had on your birthday this year!!! :smiley:

EMHC = Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion

April 11th was Easter Vigil. My husband and his RCIA class were ready to be received into the church. As it turned out, my husband’s sponsor had to be out-of-town caring for a sick relative, so I asked for and received permision to be my husband’s “sponsor-stand-in”.

My husband’s sponsor was also supposed to be a EMHC at the Easter Vigil Mass, but since I had been through the EMHC training and received my certificate as an EMHC, I asked our wonderful priest if I could also make my “debut” at the Easter Vigil service and administer my husband’s first Holy Communion. Our priest led me through the parish-specific training and gave me the blessing the morning of April 11th.

So, on your birthday, I was instituted as a EMHC in our parish, my husband was welcomed into the Catholic church, was confirmed with my hand on his shoulder, and received his first Holy Communion bread from me. How cool is that?

Happy belated birthday!

Thank you SO MUCH! I was unsure about the fasting, since I’ve read some places that don’t even mention it. I really appreciate your help!

I wear the Brown Scapular and was unaware of the fasting requirement. :o Thanks for posting this! :thumbsup:

On my pamphlet, it says:

1. Recite daily the “Little Office of the BVM”,
    Or A.) To observe the fasts of the Church together with abstaining from meat on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
    Or B.) With permission of a Priest to say 5 decades of Our Lady’s Most Holy Rosary.
    Or C.) With permission of a Priest to substitute some other good work;
    Note: You cannot substitute for the first two conditions - wearing the scapular and observing chasity.

Hi all - since I’m a vegetarian anyway, I recite 5 decades of the rosary and pray at least the morning and evening sections of the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary daily.

One must adapt these things to one’s life . . . .

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.