Brown Scapular

Can anybody tell me what the scapular actually is/does?

I read on catholicdoors.com/isit/approved.htm that the promise to St Simon Stock was that anyone who dies wearing it will be saved. That can’t be right, surely?

Another legend is that the wearer will be released from Purgatory on the first Saturday after his/her death. Is this anywhere defined as doctrine?

Why do people wear the scapular? From what I’ve read so far, it sounds to me like a lucky charm, or a get out of Purgatory free card, which is only of use when dead, not when living. There must be more to it than this, surely?

DL,

On Mar 25 I posted a thread asking about the spirituality of the brown scapular. Although, much to my surprise (given the popularity of the scapular) there were not many responses. There are some links there that might be of help to you, though:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=141236

Read this:
geocities.com/korvesem/carmel/doctrinalstatement.html

Excellent stuff there!!

In my case, I wear it as a sign of Devotion To Mary. I am aware of the Promise and The Privilage, but my main purpose in wearing it is Devotion to Mary. I am aware that I am required to observe chastity as a single person. And once I am confirmed, it will need to be properly blessed and and bestowed on me.

After that, I still would not regard it as a “get out of hell and/or purgatory free” card. I would still be expected to lead a Christian life.

Exactly - what the promise really means is that Mary takes a special interest in, and specially intercedes for, those who devote themselves to her in this way. Not that they get into heaven regardless of what they’ve done, rather that they obtain the graces necessary to live a good life, and especially to die in a state of grace.

Have I ever mentioned that I have been wearing the Green Scapular since last year?:smiley:

Hmm, you’re going to have to pass it on after you’re baptised - it’s clearly done its work for you already.

See if you can use it to help convert someone else :wink:

Seeing that the Church refuses to define the process of purgation, it would be impossible for this to be doctrine.

For my part even though I’ll be Baptized this week I plan to get and keep a green Scapular both in my room and on me at all times.

Conversion NEVER stops. :smiley:

Also got two for my beloved Edith and her best friend.

Hi DL, in addition to the links provided, here is one that may explain it well. Check out the rest of the site as well. :wink:

It is a sacramental connected to to Carmelite Order. As you will see, there is more to it than just having it blessed and wearing it.

miraclerosarymission.org/scapular.htm

Charles

I love your sig, Charles :rotfl: :hug3:

My favourite local parish (which I don’t get to go to nearly often enough, but will do for Easter) is run by some fantastic Dominican priests, so I just may get the chance!

Thanks Lily, it’s just the first thing I thought of for a sig.

Back in the seventies there used to be bumper stickers…
have you hugged a teacher today
have you hugged a musician today … etc.

Good meeting you :slight_smile: Have a Blessed Easter !

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.