Brown's anti-Catholic Government

Brown’s anti-Catholic Government

Gordon Brown is turning into the most anti-Catholic Prime Minister of modern times. Not since the reign of Queen Victoria has a Government harassed the Church on so many fronts, to the extent that it becoming impossible for a devout Catholic to hold office in this administration.

Scotland’s Cardinal Keith O’Brien – a more formidable figure than his English counterpart – today attacked Mr Brown’s “monstrous” plans to allow the creation of part-human, part-animal embryos. Catholic Labour MPs will not be allowed a free vote on this proposal, which goes against the deepest tenets of their faith. Ministers who vote in accordance with their conscience must defy a three-line whip – a sacking offence.

Consider, also, the sustained attack on faith schools by Ed Balls, who has effectively accused the Catholic Church of going against the teachings of Christ by seeking to exclude disadvantaged pupils. (It is doing no such thing.)

The Brown administration is noticeably more secular and pro-abortion than its predecessor. One of the Prime Minister’s first decisions last year was to shelve plans to repeal the 1701 Act of Settlement, which allows the heir to the throne to marry a member of any religion except Roman Catholicism.

I’d appreciate it if any of you from the UK could fill us in just what is happening over there. Is this reporter being alarmist? He has written before about MPs going after the hierarchy for [yikes!] teaching Catholic values in parochial schools.

Yup he’s so anti-catholic he’s got a couple of catholics in his government including the Transport Minister who is Catholic and a member of Opus Dei.

Ruth Kelly was there before Brown came to power

The Brown Government is refusing to allow Catholic MPs the chance to vote with their consciences (against the HFE Bill).This is worrying. Furthermore the Act of Settlement decision was terrible and completely bizarre.

I do worry that this is becoming a very anti Catholic country, but I don’t think it’s Gordon Brown in particular. We shall see whether Catholics get this free vote.

And as for Ruth Kelly, she rarely uses her position to defend the Church or vote with Church teaching. It’s hard to understand. But Paul Murphy, the Secretary of State for Wales, seems to be stronger. God Bless Him.

True - but Brown is now the man in charge. There’s nothing to stop him having a cabinet reshuffle and removing all those folks put in place by his predecessor.

This is an issue of party discipline, rather than an attempt to get at Catholics. Previously, the party when under Blair, tried to prevent its own MPs from having a free vote on whether to go to war on Iraq.The reason is that the party is well aware that going to war was very unpopular even amongst its own members and did not want to provide a chance for the opposition parties to criticise.

Re; Brown not allowing the Catholic MPs a free vote - the labout gov has already decided to back the proposals and does not want *any *opposition. The catholics in the party are numerous enough to block the gov’s plans - this is the reason they are being prevented from using the free vote.

[quote=Titus]I do worry that this is becoming a very anti Catholic country, but I don’t think it’s Gordon Brown in particular. We shall see whether Catholics get this free vote.
[/quote]

And as for Ruth Kelly, she rarely uses her position to defend the Church or vote with Church teaching. It’s hard to understand. But Paul Murphy, the Secretary of State for Wales, seems to be stronger. God Bless Him.

I’m not sure Ruth Kelly should always have to vote with church teaching. She is an MP elected by the people of her constituency to represent their interests before Parliament. How is Kelly voting in accordance to the wishes of the Church in Rome (who does not represent the views of the UK population) - represent the function of democracy in the UK?

If a Catholic (or any other MP) does not represent the views of the people (most of which are non-Catholics) who voted for him or her - should these MPs even be in politics in the first place?

The government is anti-religion as a whole, not anti-Catholic. Practising Anglicans, Muslims and Jews aren’t going to agree with this legislation either, and they’re getting no more of an easy ride in opposing it.

follow-up

MPs are accused of ‘hectoring’ bishop

A member of the Parliamentary Children, Schools and Families Select Committee has apologised for its “bizarre” hectoring of Bishop Patrick O’Donoghue of Lancaster when he appeared before it this month.

Tory MP Douglas Carswell says he cannot imagine an imam being subjected to the rudeness that Labour MPs directed at Bishop O’Donoghue. Very true: but, as I suggested the other day, Labour under Gordon Brown is revealing a streak of anti-Catholicism not seen in British politics for decades.
The bishop - who, on the verge of retirement, has become the country’s leading champion of Catholic education, putting to shame the wimpish Catholic Education Service - was asked to appear before the Commons select committee. The reason: his educational guidelines demanded that sex education in diocesan schools should be based on the Church’s teaching.

This outraged secularists on the committee, and especially Barry Sheerman, a nasty piece of work who takes the view that “faith education works all right as long as people are not that serious about their faith”.

Isthat quote the Government’s official policy or just Mr. Sheehan’s opinion?

http://www.st-peters.york.sch.uk/history/fawkes.gif

Anyone care for a repeat performance?

If they could get it right this time.

Would someone from the UK explain what conservatism in England actually means?

Here is another article bashing the church a bit and the writer is pegged as a conservative. I don’t get this. In the U.S., a conservative would not be bashing the Church.

When I think about conservative, I think of writers like Michelle Malkin and Robert Novak.

Bruce Anderson…

independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/bruce-anderson/bruce-anderson-were-not-ready-to-extend-lives-indefinitely-802746.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.