Brussels Jewish Museum killings: Man held in Marseille

BBC:

Brussels Jewish Museum killings: Man held in Marseille

A Frenchman has been arrested at a train station in Marseille over a fatal shooting at the Jewish Museum in Brussels eight days ago.
Mehdi Nemmouche, 29, is being held on suspicion of murder and attempted murder. He was reportedly carrying a Kalashnikov rifle and a handgun similar to the ones used in the 24 May attack.

Three people were killed while a fourth victim is critically injured.
     Security was [tightened at Jewish sites across Belgium]("http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27562915") following the attack.
     Mr Nemmouche, a French national who is believed to be from  the northern town of Roubaix, is also suspected of having been with  Islamist militants in Syria last year.
     French President Francois Hollande confirmed a man had been  arrested and said France was determined to stop "jihadists" from  carrying out attacks.
     Mr Nemmouche was arrested during a customs check at the Saint-Charles  train station in the southern French city of Marseille on Friday.
     He had been on board a bus that was travelling from Amsterdam via Brussels.
     An official at the Paris prosecutor's office told the  Associated Press that ballistics tests would be carried out to determine  whether the weapons he was carrying were the same as those used in the  Brussels attack.

I understand the people Nemmouche killed were not even Jewish; they just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. However, this is not the important point. If he is the one found to have committed the murders, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Unfortunately, this kind of incident is not uncommon in Brussels these days.

One wonders if security had been stepped up in France hence, the accused decided to act in Belgium.

Centenary of the beginning of World War I I believe is this year. Sidenote.

From the BBC article:
Mr Nemmouche was also said to be carrying a camera with a 40-second video showing the two guns and a voice recording, claiming responsibility for the killings and expressing regret that the device had not succeeded in capturing the shooting.

I guess they arrested the right guy. But it seems strange that he was caught because of a random drug search, and that he was still carrying the guns and video.

According to the news article, he was a common criminal who became religiously radical while in prison. Upon release he became a jihadi and had only recently returned to France.

If so, then the killings are likely to be of the “lone wolf” variety and not part of an organized plot. There had been some speculation that the killings were intended to assassinate the Israeli couple, but it doesn’t sound as if they were being stalked. I suppose there is some relief in this, although I worry how many more such individuals are out there.

Anyways, I am glad he has been caught.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.