BSF anyone?

A friend told me about the Bible Study Fellowship. Has anyone here completed study and if so please share your thoughts. Thanks

It’s not a Catholic Bible study. I attended a similar one, Community Bible Study, and it was good, but not Catholic. But it may be difficult to find a Catholic Bible study with the same depth and study guides and scholarship depending on where you live, to be honest. These type of studies take quite a bit of time and commitment and are long term. If you are grounded in your faith they are ok. I enjoyed the one I attended very much and there was absolutely no prosetylizing or bashing of anyone’s denomination whatsoever. But if you can find a decent Catholic study, go for that.

Thank you CB. I pretty well grounded in Catholicism and so would not be swayed by a protestant study group. The only reason I was considering going to one is a friend challenged me to go to the BSF study group and I said I would if she went to a Catholic bible study and I suggested the Bible Timeline or the 1st century of the Catholic Church Bible Study.

However, upon researching the BSF study it seems you have to sign a paper denouncing your own faith to get into this study group. That makes me put on the brakes.

I was in it for 10 years - 7 of them as a leader. I was not Catholic then. I would not recommend it for Catholics at all. It’s purely Protestant propaganda.

(Edited) I attended for 6 years. Your personal faith and beliefs are not on trial and denominations are a taboo topic, meaning they will not ask you if you are a Baptist or Methodist or Catholic, etc. You can even use your Catholic Bible to study. It is purely a structured way of daily delving into scriptures. I have however found a Catholic equivalent

catholicscripturestudyinc.org/#

Wow, I finally found someone who has heard of this Catholic Scripture study. I led the Gospel of Luke/ Acts of the Apostles with a small group of 8. It was FANTASTIC and the CD was free. It was developed by a nun who attended BSF and wanted a Catholic version. It’s prepackaged and has everything you need ready to go.

Fantastic, HIGHLY RECOMMEND>

Look into it! :slight_smile: We took donations at intervals as well for our appreciation of the study.

Mary.

Thanks for the link.

Another link to an updated website
cssprogram.net

Casilda: Signing a paper practically denouncing your faith is not a falsehood as it came directly from the site.

I’m not into lying to prove a point nor am I into denouncing my faith nor am I interested in joining a study group that does not allow Catholics to be team leaders.

Thanks anyway.

Thanks nannygirl through my research I am finding your statement to be true.

Here is the statement of faith for BSF: I’m stuck on the very first statement

Statement of Faith
The leadership of Bible Study Fellowship, including the Board of Directors, is committed without reservation to this Statement of Faith:

We believe that the 66 books of Holy Scripture as originally given are in their entirety the Word of God verbally inspired and wholly without error in all that they declare and, therefore, are the supreme and final authority of faith and life.

HOLD THE PHONE.

We believe in one Triune God — Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
We believe in the Virgin Birth and the Deity of Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God, who is also Son of Man, with two distinct natures in one Person forever.
We believe the vicarious substitutionary death of Jesus Christ on the cross made atonement for the sin of the world, efficient for all who repent and believe.
We believe in the bodily resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, which ensures the resurrection of all believers who have received God’s gift of eternal life.
We believe also in a resurrection of judgment in regard to unbelievers who reject the gospel.
We believe in the imminent, visible and bodily return of Christ to this earth to set up His kingdom and to judge the world in righteousness.
We believe that man was originally created in the image of God, that he fell into sin through the first Adam and that he is responsible for all sin he has committed. Sin causes him to be separated from God and lost eternally.
We believe that salvation from everlasting punishment and entrance into a state of fellowship with God are secured only by a personal belief that Christ bore our sins in His own body on the cross and by a definite receiving of Christ, through the Person of the Holy Spirit, into one’s inner being. This is to receive eternal life and to be sealed unto the Day of Redemption.
We believe that the Holy Spirit thus indwells all who receive Jesus Christ as both Savior and Lord.
We believe that the Holy Spirit is responsible for the quickening from death into life and for the continuing of the work of sanctification in the believer.
We believe that the church is the body of Christ, a spiritual organism of born again believers who are called to be identified with Christ in baptism and to remember His death in the Lord’s Supper.
We believe that all believers are called to be in the world but separate from it.
We believe that Christians are called to witness for Christ, to preach the gospel to all nations, and to study the Bible personally through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit until each one is matured into the preordained purpose of God for him.
From the Bible Study Fellowship Bylaws, Article VI

It is true that they did not allow any Catholics or people who spoke in tongues into leadership. Whenever someone was recommended for leadership, they would look closely at where the person worshiped. I can tell you from personal experience that the goal of inviting Catholics was to get them out of the Church. They don’t believe that Catholics are Christians and this is their way of “witnessing” to them. You definitely won’t get the Catholic perspective on the scriptures.

I would not get into this at all. Their stated beliefs are contrary to both Catholic teaching and the Word of God, so it’s ultimately a lose/lose for us Catholics. There’s more than enough groups out there seeking to proselytize faithful Catholics away from their faith that there are no brownie points for joining another one.

There are a host of good Catholic studies out there and if your parish doesn’t have one then go to your DRE and volunteer to start and even lead one to help get it off the ground.

Heck, the Catholic Home Study Service is a terrific series and a serious study of the faith.

Oh…and once you get into a good Catholic one…then start inviting those n-Cs who invited you and see what happens. It will be…interesting.

Thanks everyone. I have decided to absolutely steer clear of this BSF because through the research I have done and opinions of those I respect, it is abundantly clear that this study pushes the protestant agenda as seemingly all protestant bible studies do.

That statement of faith made me put on the brakes----66 books. No thanks.

I am already a part of Bible study at my Catholic Church WooHoo OLG!!

CM: The reason for this whole post on BSF is a friend of 40+ yrs is so anti-Catholic she reeks. She challenged me to go to this bible study and I challenged her to go to a Catholic study. LOL

Our last phone call was the topper. She really came down on Catholics and Catholicism to the point that I do not care any longer if we are friends. I have endured years of her sending Jack Chick pamphlets and snitty comments and I finally came back at her. I got into some stuff she could not answer and so she became angry.

Well, if your going to turn it on make sure you know how to turn it off.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Some personal experience with BSF - Bible Study Fellowship - prompted me to expand on the discussion.

I spent 5 yrs. in the study attending with a Catholic friend. My friend and I would discuss things afterward. Although we stuck it out that long, we both decided it is completely Protestant, and anti-Catholic. They profess they are inter-denominational. A Catholic must be informed about his faith to know what is not correct, or what is eliminated. All of what they teach is sola scriptura. Also, no personal thoughts or ideas could be expressed. You must have a Scriptural source for every answer or comment referring to the study questions and discussion.

They are very well organized, include child care (kids bible study), and is structured with home study materials. I spent about an hour each night to get through the 10 pages or so of Q&A. It is free, but they ask for a donation to cover costs of the materials. It is operated by volunteers. The group I attended in Dallas had around 1000 participants each week. The sessions are held in a host church building.

Sessions open with a group prayer, hymn, and your assigned group break-out session. The small discussions are led by a trained leader who later contacts each person weekly by phone for support, and clarifications. The whole group reconvenes for a wrap-up lecture.

No Catholic can hold a leadership position in BSF! People did introduce themselves to the group and included the church they attended. At one point, I was personally reprimanded after the small group discussion for saying that Christ descended into hell after His death. I thought all faiths believed in the Apostles and Nicene Creeds!

I really learned a lot about Scripture from the lectures and study materials, but felt that it stopped just short of the whole story by eliminating our Catholic beliefs! In fact, it confirmed my love and gratitude for the Catholic Church, and deepened my love and devotion to God.

Since there is now a Catholic version of this method, I would strongly recommend that.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated.

I attended, as a child. I did all 7 years of programs they had. I didn’t notice any anti-Catholic stuff, but I was naive AND in the children’s program. I don’t remember it being particularly denominational either though, I think that was the first time I met protestants that were not southern baptists!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.