BSF International studies vs Catholic doctrine (Edited Title & Split)

I attend a Bible Study @ BSF International. I love the classes. When I registered noone asked me what denomination I am nor to this day has anyone asked. I was asked to take the Homiletics class but noone asked me what denomination I am. BSF doesn’t promote any specific denomination it promotes only the truth of God’s word. It doesn’t teach the papacy because that would be promoting one specific denomination or religion whichever you prefer to call it. The Lord said “My house shall be called a house of prayer for all people”. No I am not Catholic or Protestant or Methodist or Baptist or any other denomination. I am a member of the Church that is made without hands, I believe in God’s word (each and every word). I have yet to understand how so many people can teach from the same bible and believe so many different things. Just a few thoughts. Oh and I have a question to ask. I ask this question simply out of my own curiosity or you may call it ignorance if you choose to but it is something I have not understood for some time and maybe you can shed some light on this for me. Why in the Catholic Church are the members required to call the Pope or Minister whichever Father eventhough Jesus said “Do not call any man Father for you have only one Father which is in heaven”? and why does the Catholic Church require that each member go to the Minister for forgiveness in repentance when the bible says that Jesus is our High Priest that he is our mediator between us and God, he is our intercessor and we need no other. Again I ask only out of curiosity because I don’t understand this.

Thanks for asking some very good questions. But it is all about truth. BSF does do some good work. That is not in dispute. The problem is that they don’t teach all the truth and leave out very important points. That is my concern.

Regarding your question about calling no man “father” the answer goes like this. In the OT times, there were two major rabinical schools, the schools of Hilel and Schimi. Each school had it’s own master teacher which they called a “FATHER”. So when St. Paul says “I will be a father to you”, what he is saying is that since he is an apostle he is the one who will pass on the faith and not someone who does not know what they are talking about like the judaizers. He will now be the “father” to them since Christ was the “father” to him on the damascas road.

As far as going to a priest for confession, that is covered in John 20 when Jesus passes on his power of forgiving sins to the apostles (and their successors). Remember in Mattew 28 Jesus passes on all authority He has to them. If you have other questions please feel free to ask, especially why you believe in a church that has no authority might be a good question.

mdcpensive1 (good luck in studying)

Is it also wrong then to call one’s male parent “Father”?

and why does the Catholic Church require that each member go to the Minister for forgiveness in repentance when the bible says that Jesus is our High Priest that he is our mediator between us and God, he is our intercessor and we need no other. Again I ask only out of curiosity because I don’t understand this.

*John 20:22-23 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” *

With this separate bestowal of the Holy Spirit, Jesus empowered the apostles to forgive sins and made it a part of their ministry as leaders of His Church. Of course, sinners would have to come to them and inform them of the sins they had committed before the apostles would know whether they could forgive them or not.

As you study the Old Testament, especially Leviticus, you’ll see that the practice of confessing sins (and making sacrificial offerings for one’s sins) was a ritual God instituted for His Chosen People. So Jesus was not introducing a whole new concept, but rather bringing to fulfillment the rite that had served as a forerunner and preparation. Sinners still need to seek forgiveness, but the sacrificial offerings of animals etc. were no longer required as Jesus is the sacrificial offering for our sins.

kpratt, I thank you for getting back with a question. You have given me so much to respond to I don’t think I can do it justice. I felt sadness when you said you do not call your father by “father”. I think you are misunderstanding scripture. I don’t want to be judgemental, but with so many passages in scripture that talk about fathers, there has to be another meaning than the one you have. For instance, in the first few lines of Mat 1 there are many ancestors called fathers. It is mentioned about 20 times. In the beginning of Acts 7, three people were called father, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. And then there is Philemon, line #10 where Paul says he is a father. With so many people being called father in scripture I don’t understand how you could say one line according to your understanding negates all the rest of places where it is used. You said you have to take scripture in it’s totality so I ask that you please reflect on what I have shown you to see if it makes any sense to you. If not, please let me know. There may be something I don’t understand about how you arrived at your interpretation.

It’s late, so I will try to respond to your other questions later. I am praying for you and others as we all journey to the Lord.
mdcpensive1

Do you also hate your mother and father because Jesus Christ said so in Luke 14:26?

Even the first Christians understood that Jesus Christ was using hyperbole (exagerated speech) when He made that statement about calling no man Father and they did not take Him literally. How do we know? Because St. Stephen later addressed the Jewish high priest and other members of the Jewish Council as “Brethren and Fathers.” (Acts 7:2) Likewise, St. Paul addressed the Temple crowd as “Brethren and Fathers.” (Acts 22:1) If it is ok for Christians to address even non-Christians as “Fathers” and these verses prove that it is, why would you object to addressing Christian pastors as “Fathers”?

…and why does the Catholic Church require that each member go to the Minister for forgiveness in repentance when the bible says that Jesus is our High Priest that he is our mediator between us and God, he is our intercessor and we need no other. Again I ask only out of curiosity because I don’t understand this.

Even the first Christians understood that the priests of the Church had a ministerial role in the forgiveness of sins. In New Testament times, sickness among Christians was sometimes associated with sinfulness (see 1 Corinthians 11:30) and what does the Bible advise a sick Christian to do? St. James says he is to call for the priests of the Church and let them pray over him and anoint him with oil that he might be healed and his sins forgiven. So, not only are you to confess your sins to God but, in the company of His priests, you are to “confess your sins to one another.” (James 5:14-16)

Hello kpratt,

Welcome to the CAF Forum
Just to help you out a little on the computer set-ups.

When you want to set something apart in a quote box, you’ll need to make sure the sentences you want quoted are bracketed in the following manner:
At the start of the part you want in the quote box, type the word QUOTE in capital letters and put it in brackets. After the last sentence you want included in the quote box, type a slash mark first and then quote in all capitals /QUOTE and put it in brackets.
(I couldn’t include the brackets because if I did, the explanatory sentences would automatically have been put in a quote box when I posted, and the capitalized words would have disappeared. :))

When you click on the quote box to respond to a post, that whole post will come up enclosed in the QUOTE and /QUOTE directions. If you want to split the post when responding, you’ll have to add the proper quote directives where needed, making sure each of the split sections have a bracketed QUOTE at the beginning and a bracketed /QUOTE at the end.

If you just want to indent a section, follow the same procedure except use the word “indent” instead of “quote”. INDENT and /INDENT all in capitals and enclosed in brackets.

If you want to change anything on your post, you have 20 minutes in which to do it. Just hit the “Edit” button that will be down at the bottom of your post for those 20 minutes.

Hope this will help you.

But can you see that is exactly what you are failing to do - failing to take Scripture as a whole. You’re taking the one line of Scripture “Call no man father” and making it stand alone - without considering all the other passages where males are called father; without seeking an understanding of Jesus’ meaning that still allowed for those usages by His followers.

Jesus Himself uses the word “father” in referring to someone’s male parent here on earth.

exactly Nita. Very well said. Kpratt you are misunderstanding Matthew 23. Do you also not call people teachers as Matthew 23 say?. Then pray tell what did you call all those people that taught you when you were in school?

Don’t call anyone Doctor then because that is the Latin word for teacher. Do not call anyone Mister then because Matthew 23 forbids that you call anyone Master and the word mister is just another way to say Master.

Jesus is using hyeprbole to teach that the Pharisees were setting themselves up as the ultimate authority without looking to God.

Paul in the 1 Corinthian epistle says he is the spiritual father of the Corinthians is he teaching something different than Jesus?

*Off topic posts have been split to SPLIT/New Title: This is what I’ve heard Catholics believe to comply with the Forum Rules.
*http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/QATC.gif

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.