Bubbles

We have a new associate pastor at our chapel. He told me that in Masses for the children he uses bubbles instead of incense. Is this liturgically correct?
Thank you.

[quote=cloudypenguin72]We have a new associate pastor at our chapel. He told me that in Masses for the children he uses bubbles instead of incense. Is this liturgically correct?
Thank you.
[/quote]

No, it will be an illicit mass. Children need to grow up respecting their Faith, I didn’t grow up with a respect for Catholicism and this is why I fell away. You need to let your pastor know your feelings and if he does nothing, you need to contact your Archdiocese.

The Mass, whether children’s or not, is for the worship of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

God bless.

:whacky:

[quote=cloudypenguin72]We have a new associate pastor at our chapel. He told me that in Masses for the children he uses bubbles instead of incense. Is this liturgically correct?
[/quote]

Not only is it liturgically incorrect, it is one of the most absurd things I have ever read. I wonder if the priest wears his clown vestments for these Masses! Oh well, here is what is important:

From the GIRM, Chapter 1:
24. …the priest must remember that he is the servant of the Sacred Liturgy and that he himself is not permitted, on his own initiative, to add, to remove, or to change anything in the celebration of Mass.This comes directly out of Vatican II’s Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy (Sacrosanctum Concilium):
22. …3. Therefore no other person, even if he be a priest, may add, remove, or change anything in the liturgy on his own authority.

Thank you.
[/quote]

No. I have never heard of bubbles smelling like insense. The smell is also important. Also bubbles do not naturally float up. They tend to eventually hit the ground and are burst. This would not be a good symbol of our prayers to God.

Why? and how sad.
I have assisted at loads of children’s Masses and services. They just love candles and Incense.
so what is this Priest saying about children? That he disrespects them maybe.

While it is certainly not allowed, I don’t think it will make the Mass illicit. Br. Rich said it best. The rising of the incense represents our prayers rising to God. Since bubbles don’t rise, the symbolism is lost.

[quote=Michael Welter]While it is certainly not allowed, I don’t think it will make the Mass illicit. Br. Rich said it best. The rising of the incense represents our prayers rising to God. Since bubbles don’t rise, the symbolism is lost.
[/quote]

It doesn’t. an act which would make the Mass illicit would be intentionally saying Mass in a diocese in shich the priest had not been incardinated, and for which there were no exceptions.

The act of using bubbles in the Mass where one would use incense properly would be an illicit act, but the act does not make the whole Mass illicit.

This is just another example of adults treating children like brain dead morons, as if they’re only capable of sitting there in slack-jawed wonder with drool dripping out of their mouths.

Children are not stupid and they don’t need to be talked down to. The Disney/Sesame Street culture may appeal to some children, but others appreciate occasionally being treated like they actually have cognitive thinking abilities.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I was having serious doubts about the bubbles issue and now I’m so glad that you all have cleared them up for me. Once our pastor leaves next August, this priest will become my boss and I’m just wondering on how I should approach the issue should he use the bubbles later on. Again, thank you so much for your help!
In Christ,
Cindee

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]No. I have never heard of bubbles smelling like insense. The smell is also important. Also bubbles do not naturally float up. They tend to eventually hit the ground and are burst. This would not be a good symbol of our prayers to God.
[/quote]

If you quote Br. Rich word for word, I can’t imagine any sane priest carrying forward with this idea. This is about one of the silliest ideas I ever heard of, and another way to ‘dumb down’ our faith for our children. We short-change our children so much and rob them of the beauty of our faith when we do things like this.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]No. I have never heard of bubbles smelling like insense. The smell is also important. Also bubbles do not naturally float up. They tend to eventually hit the ground and are burst. This would not be a good symbol of our prayers to God.
[/quote]

Well:

Psalm 141:2

22 Let my prayer be bubbles before you; my uplifted hands an evening sacrifice.

What? That’s not an acceptable translation?

[quote=RobNY]Well:

Psalm 141:2

Let my prayer be bubbles before you; my uplifted hands an evening sacrifice.

What? That’s not an acceptable translation?
[/quote]

Let me guess. That must be the NAB translation?:whacky:

We have a new associate pastor at our chapel. He told me that in Masses for the children he uses bubbles instead of incense. Is this liturgically correct?

Sounds stupid, nothing personal to the priest who came up with the idea.

In my day, the Sunday mass said for the school children in the basement chapel, while the adults were in the church, was basically the same except the homily was usually a chewing out of the kids for our various infractions.

[quote=cloudypenguin72]Thank you all so much for your replies. I was having serious doubts about the bubbles issue and now I’m so glad that you all have cleared them up for me. Once our pastor leaves next August, this priest will become my boss and I’m just wondering on how I should approach the issue should he use the bubbles later on. Again, thank you so much for your help!
In Christ,
Cindee
[/quote]

You need to sound charitable when you bring it up with your new assistant pastor. Tell him you’re concerned that the kids won’t grow up with a respect for their faith, and that if they are seeing a priest disobey the rules to please them, then by that logic, why couldn’t they? Don’t sound forceful with him, just take him aside and have a conversation and tell you that the “bubbles” at mass make you feel uncomfortable. I don’t think there were any bubbles at calvary, and that is what the Mass represents. If this priest does not quit using bubbles at Mass, his superiors (Bishop and/or Archbishop) need to know so that something can be done about it. It may sound small now, but when children see a priest deliberately disobeying the Vatican, they’ll think it’s norm and that’s what they’ll grow up with.

[quote=Semper Fi]You need to sound charitable when you bring it up with your new assistant pastor. Tell him you’re concerned that the kids won’t grow up with a respect for their faith, and that if they are seeing a priest disobey the rules to please them, then by that logic, why couldn’t they? Don’t sound forceful with him, just take him aside and have a conversation and tell you that the “bubbles” at mass make you feel uncomfortable. I don’t think there were any bubbles at calvary, and that is what the Mass represents. If this priest does not quit using bubbles at Mass, his superiors (Bishop and/or Archbishop) need to know so that something can be done about it. It may sound small now, but when children see a priest deliberately disobeying the Vatican, they’ll think it’s norm and that’s what they’ll grow up with.
[/quote]

Thank you Semper Fi. You just gave me a very charitable and eloquent way to bring up a different issue in my parish with our priest. :tiphat:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.