budhism

do you think budhists are going to hell because they’re not even remotely apart of the church?
What about other very different religions, are their members going to hell?
Would my friends go to hell because they don’t believe?
Thanks in advance for the answers

[quote=filmmaker]do you think budhists are going to hell because they’re not even remotely apart of the church?
[/quote]

“Buddhism” is spelled “Buddhism” and is spelled with a capital “B”.
Same with “Buddhist”.

[quote=romano]“Buddhism” is spelled “Buddhism” and is spelled with a capital “B”.
Same with “Buddhist”.
[/quote]

Considering all the mistakes that I have made in spelling, I don’t think that I will criticize anyone’s mistakes. Romano probably meant to correct you with the best of intentions but I would hate for someone to pick apart my posts. By the way, welcome filmaker. I am looking forward to the answers to this thread. If I was farther in my walk to Catholisim, I could answer you. I only responded because I didn’t want you to feel bad at being corrected.

If a non-Catholic is invincibly ignorant that what the Catholic Church teaches is true and that the sacraments are necessary, then they may be saved. We all have God’s law written on our hearts. Likewise, God always sends us his graces. It depends how those people you mentioned responded to those graces and how well they followed the law written on their hearts. Fact of the matter is, only God can judge the state of their souls. Check out these articles:

catholic.com/thisrock/1991/9111chap.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/1999/9907chap.asp

[quote=filmmaker]do you think budhists are going to hell because they’re not even remotely apart of the church?
[/quote]

Every statue Ive seen of buddha hes smiling…I think hes hiding something…LOL j/k

I dont believe God is tollerant of other so called dieties.
Hes already told us hes a jealus God and he has every right to be.

However I would not judge anyone for hell we will leave that up to Jesus.

If he/she is a good Buddhist as their religion pertains and has no knowledge of whom Christ is, then salvation could be theirs. Though, not knowing who Jesus is, it is very very hard in this day in age but, there are exceptions.

[quote=Zosimus]Every statue Ive seen of buddha hes smiling…I think hes hiding something…LOL j/k

I dont believe God is tollerant of other so called dieties.
Hes already told us hes a jealus God and he has every right to be.

However I would not judge anyone for hell we will leave that up to Jesus.
[/quote]

Hi Zosimus!

Strictly speaking, the Buddha is not a god. There are passages in the sutras where he explicitly denies that he is divine and insists he is just another man. I therefore do not think that meditation before a statue of the Buddha is any more idolatrous than a prayer before a statue of the Blessed Virgin.

Buddha was a Prince not a God. Hence the followers can not go to heaven.

In Christ,
Selvaraj

[quote=Other Eric]Hi Zosimus!

Strictly speaking, the Buddha is not a god. There are passages in the sutras where he explicitly denies that he is divine and insists he is just another man. I therefore do not think that meditation before a statue of the Buddha is any more idolatrous than a prayer before a statue of the Blessed Virgin.
[/quote]

Enough already! Non-Catholics on this forum have got to stop taking cheap shots at The Mother of God whenever it suits their fancy. Hey Other Eric, If you’ve got issues with the Blessed Mother, take it to another thread.

Thank you Deb1, you’re beautiful, and I don’t feel bad for being corrected, lol, I knew I had it coming.

I believe Buddhists can go to heaven. They depict what Christ stood for. They have respect for all living things and wont even kill an insect. Unless their safety or the safety of another is threatened they wont lift a hand in violence.
Also, people like Ghandi (who I know, was Hindu, not Buddhist) showed that Christ’s teachings of non-violence can work in a modern world. I get so angry when people try to say that Ghandi went to hell. Who are they to pass that kind of judgement? Keep in mind that many of the people who say that also think the popes all went to hell, and Mother Theresa too.

[quote=Mickey]Enough already! Non-Catholics on this forum have got to stop taking cheap shots at The Mother of God whenever it suits their fancy. Hey Other Eric, If you’ve got issues with the Blessed Mother, take it to another thread.
[/quote]

Hi Mickey!

I do not have any issues with the Blessed Mother nor was I taking a “cheap shot” at her. All I was doing is noting that it’s incorrect to say that a Buddhist worships the Buddha for the exact same reason that it’s incorrect to say that a Catholic worships Mary. I do not think it is a sign of disrespect to point out that the way these figures are looked to is, in fact, very similar. Nor am I arguing for the moral equivalence of all religious beliefs. It would be cynical and insular to suggest that a Catholic could not use elements from his own faith to assist in his understanding of other religious traditions.

[quote=Other Eric]Hi Mickey!

I do not have any issues with the Blessed Mother nor was I taking a “cheap shot” at her. All I was doing is noting that it’s incorrect to say that a Buddhist worships the Buddha for the exact same reason that it’s incorrect to say that a Catholic worships Mary. I do not think it is a sign of disrespect to point out that the way these figures are looked to is, in fact, very similar. Nor am I arguing for the moral equivalence of all religious beliefs. It would be cynical and insular to suggest that a Catholic could not use elements from his own faith to assist in his understanding of other religious traditions.
[/quote]

Sorry, when you used the word, " idolatrous", it seemed that you were attacking. Perhaps the word, “veneration”, would have been a better choice. Peace.

Catholics don’t worship Mary, get your facts straight.

I come from S’pore where Buddhism and Taoism is widely practised here manily the chinese people. Just a bit of info for you people mainly living in the west…

Often, the buddha is always placed with other deities like kuan yin on the same altar… and often incense such as joss sticks are offered to them… As somebody pointed out, Buddhism is not a religion, but somehow or rather it is often intertwined with taoism and becomes a “religion”

I suppose not to to criticise buddhism is quite correct. Although Chritianity or Catholicism is the true religion of God, we can practise some form of tolerance and patience and prayers for these people if we want to show them the way to God… and along the way… who knows, by noticing our attitudes, they may eventually join us to know christ…

just my 2 cents opinion…

[/quote]

The word “Buddhism” refers to a vast phenomenon which has penetrated many different culture areas and which has a history stretching back over 2500 years. There are, for example, Indian Buddhism (in its Hinayana and Mahayana forms); Tibetan Buddhism; Chinese Buddhism; Korean Buddhism; Japanese Buddhism, etc.

Each of these, in turn, embraces many different schools and sects, from the very pure forms such as Zen through to the popular and debased forms mentioned by the poster from Singapore. So it becomes rather difficult to generalize.

If you really want to find out about Buddhism you should read a good introduction to the subject, of which there are many. Two I can recommend are those by Edward Conze and Christmas Humphreys.

As for whether I think all Buddhists are destined for hell, my answer is NO!.

When I was a kid my mother taught me that there were good and bad in every group. I wonder when parents stopped teaching their kids something so simple and obvious.

[/quote]

Here’s a quotation from Saint Isaac the Syrian for you to chew on:

“God’s mercifulness is far more extensive than we can conceive.”

Here’s another:

“When compared with God’s mind, the sins of all flesh are like a handful of sand thrown in the sea.”

:amen:

Jealousy does not make for an all-loving God - or an all perfect God, for that matter. That is one of the reasons I do not worship the Christian God.

Besides, I thought that the Christian God was supposed to be perfect, and how is that possible if jealousy is involved?

[quote=Mickey]Enough already! Non-Catholics on this forum have got to stop taking cheap shots at The Mother of God whenever it suits their fancy. Hey Other Eric, If you’ve got issues with the Blessed Mother, take it to another thread.
[/quote]

He never said that Catholics worship Mary. He said that prayer before a statue of Buddha is just as idolatrous as prayer before a statue of Mary - meaning NEITHER are idolatrous. Catholics do still pray to Mary, don’t they?

Perhaps some Catholics need to stop being so defensive and stop looking for the chance to jump down the throats of people they presume to be anti-Catholic.

I’m sorry to break the news to you, but YES! ALL Buddhists WILL go to HELL, most defintely! (Ask me how I know…)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.