Budweiser Renames Its Beer 'America' for 2016

The Atlantic:

Budweiser Renames Its Beer ‘America’ for 2016

In a fitting metaphor for the country’s national anxiety, a former cultural icon that peaked in the 1950s and was taken over by multinational interests in the 21st century is now called “America.”Until the November 2016 election, Budweiser will replace its own name with the country’s, spelled out in the familiar blue cursive. Summer is the best-selling season for beer—about one-third of all U.S. sales are between Memorial Day and Labor Day—and Budweiser has bedecked its cans with the American flag and the Statue of Liberty for several years. In recent Super Bowls, the company has taken pains to remind viewers just how much it loves its country. Domestic drinkers are perhaps just a few years a way from a special-edition Bud brewed “with bits of home-spun American flag.”

This year’s can is bumper-stickered with national cheer. The “King of Beers” slogan has been swapped out for “E Pluribus Unum,” or “Out of Many, One,” which is a fitting slogan for the brewer, Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV, a multinational corporation headquartered in Belgium and named after an American and Brazilian beer company. “We thought nothing was more iconic than Budweiser and nothing was more iconic than America,” said Tosh Hall, creative director at the beer can’s branding firm JKR, eliding the beer’s more cosmopolitan roots.
The third-most-popular beer in America, Budweiser sells about 100 million cases each year, more than Yuengling, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Busch, and Heineken, combined. This summer, the beer company wanted to remake its can to seize on the next few months’ compelling competitions—the Olympics and the U.S. presidential election.

It would be one thing to report that Budweiser’s move—simultaneously funny, cynical, knowing, and absurd—is wasteful re-lettering. But there is some evidence that patriotic branding around international sports event swells the hearts of consumers. Surveys collected during the 2006 FIFA World Cup and 2008 Olympics found that “consumers’ patriotism during international mega-sporting events significantly increases their involvement in those events, and that heightened level of patriotism … positively influences their attitudes towards patriotic advertising.”
If beer drinkers are as interested in this rebranding as people on Twitter, one should anticipate a summer of excruciating quips, including but not limited to: “is there any America left?” “this America is for you," “my America went bad,” “America is in the trash,” “nobody puts America in the trash,” “America is ice cold right now,” “America goes down [dramatic pause] smooth,” and “I’m offended that the Belgian multinational that produces Budweiser thought the U.S. wants explicit credit for the taste of its beer.”

They must be desperate. Who drinks Bud anymore? it’s like grandpa’s brew. America has moved on to local craft beers.

I don’t know about you, but I see Bud Light cans littered everywhere. :shrug:

A lot of people. Like me. But I typically drink Coors Light.

And there is a reason. Craft beers are typically too hoppy, and often too heavy. Simple pilsners, like Budweiser, are perfect for days of fishing, playing horseshoes, or enjoying a day at the beach. I very, very rarely see people outdoors drinking craft beer except in a beer garden.

And hops have ruined my desire for craft beer. And this article I stumbled across years ago is an excellent summary of the problem.

slate.com/articles/life/drink/2013/05/hoppy_beer_is_awful_or_at_least_its_bitterness_is_ruining_craft_beer_s_reputation.html

Amen brother!

Guess us “grandpa’s” will stick with the simple, All-American pilsner and leave those new fangled crafty beers to the hipsters out there. Yuk! :smiley:

Besides, craft beer isn’t even beer!:rolleyes:

Funny you say that.

I’m a simple beer drinker, Corona or XX. But last night after I finished working out. I wanted to drink a beer. I checked in the fridge and my brother had bought some Budweiser. So last night I had a Budweiser.

America has moved on to American-owned brews.

All-American pilsner

Hilarity in three words

If you’re tired of hops, then you’re still just scratching the surface of craft beers. There are plenty of craft beers that are minimally hoppy, or not at all. And I’m not just talking stouts.

You beat me to it. The irony of all the so called “American Domestics” being called as such these days is not lost on anyone I hope. You want a big beer American beer… buy a Samuel Adams or something else from Boston Beer Company (the US’s largest domestic brewery).

Frankly if ABInBev wanted to rename something related to the Budweiser brand they changed the wrong word. Should have changed it too Budweiser “Yellow Slightly Alcoholic Fizzy Water.”

I live in the Pacific NW, the epicenter of craft brew. I’d say that whenever I go to a brewery (Pike Place, Salmon River, Snake River, No-Li, Terminal Gravity, etc), they are 1) almost always ales, and 2) are almost always IPAs. And even their non-IPAs are heavily hopped–just not as much as their IPAs.

Give me a good, malty ale or a basic pilsner any day. Keep the hops to a minimum.

I’ve been brewing beer in my basement for 35 years…the absolute worst of the lot was still exponentially better than the typical ‘store beer’…my well water has more flavor [and color!] that Coor’s Light…

Craft beer [homebrew **is craft beer] isn’t necessarily overhopped or too heavy…I’ve converted some ‘Light Beer’ {an oxymoron!} drinkers to homebrew by starting them on a basic lager, and gradually moving to more complex brews…at present, there are approximately 1.2 million homebrewers in the U.S…we started the craft brew trend, and there’s no end in sight…if domestic beers hadn’t been ‘dumbed down’ many years ago, many of us might not need to make our own…

craft beer] isn’t necessarily overhopped or too heavy…I’ve converted some ‘Light Beer’ {an oxymoron!} drinkers to homebrew by starting them on a basic lager, and gradually moving to more complex brews…at present, there are approximately 1.2 million homebrewers in the U.S…we started the craft brew trend, and there’s no end in sight…if domestic beers hadn’t been ‘dumbed down’ many years ago, many of us might not need to make our own…

Oh, I homebrew too. Always simple ales. I don’t have a fridge to handle lagers.

But I’ve yet to figure out how to can my homebrew. I don’t want glass on the boat or beach. Edit: And bottles don’t fit in my Yeti coozy. :stuck_out_tongue:

I live in San Diego, the Capital of Craft Brewing, and while I acknowledge that among craft brewers, ales are more prevalent (for not the least of reasons that they’re easier to brew), and that hops are king (particularly here in San Diego where we’ve invented our own form of IPA that is particularly hoppy) there are plenty of malty ales and even some lagers out there to find.

I mean just among San Diego based beers I can think of off the top of my head: Ballast Point’s Wahoo Wheat and Longfin Lager; anything off Societie Brewing’s “Old World” menu in particular the Harlot or Debutante; Mission Brewing’s Light Lager, Hef or even their Amber; AleSmith’s Evil Dead Red/My Bloody Valentine (depending on Fall or Spring), and their Lil Devil; Half the menu at Modern Times Beer (they say “hoppy” on some of their beer but it’s really not); and pretty much the entire menu at The Lost Abbey. And mind you that’s just among some of the better known ones…

But I have 2 criteria for drinking beer on the boat, at the game, or at the beach: not hoppy and not heavy. Based on the above, they might meet the hops requirement, but other than a few, such as the light lager, none of them seem particularly light.

Depends on how “light” you want it. I mean I don’t consider most quote “domestic” beers that have “light” in their name beer (Bud Light, Coors Light, etc…). More like slightly alcoholic fizzy water. But for a real beer, many of the ones I’ve listed are quite light and refreshing on a hot day. The Reds obviously not, and the higher alcohol Belgians clearly not, but the wheats, lagers, and several of the other ales will whet your whistle quite adequately on a warm summer day while fishing (or around here warm day February to December day, BBQing, kayaking, surfing, etc…). Believe me, our brewers may often love their hops to an unhealthy degree around here, but many of them also know how to quench your thirst on a warm day outdoors since we have so many of those :wink:

On the rare occasion I drink beer, its Rolling Rock, I have loved this beer for decades!

You’re right, I should have said local or regional beers. I’m in upstate NY and my go-to beers are Yeungling, from Pennsylvania and Saranac, the former Matt’s/Utica Club.

Will Bud Light then become Am Light?

I have never tried this but it may be worth looking into the feasibility of bottling using the aluminum bottles that you can sometimes find beers like Bud in. If you don’t want it to have the appearance of drinking Bud you can try some very fine sand paper to sand off the paint.

That is an idea. They are usually screwtops. I wonder if they make replacement inserts for the soft plastic gasket in the tops of the cans.

But it still doesn’t fit my Yeti! :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.