"Building on the foundation of another" - Rom 15:20

Going through today’s mass readings, I was struck by the following:

“And thus I aspired to preach the gospel, not where Christ was already named, so that I would not build on another man’s foundation” (Rom 15:20 NASB)

The phrasing struck me as odd, in particular because elsewhere the Evangelist writes:
“So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone” (Eph 2:19-20 NASB)

Keeping the passages consistent, does Paul mean in Romans that he doesn’t wish to intrude upon the ministry of a fellow apostle or evangelist? I understand that he wishes to reach all (1 Tim 2:4) but it’s an odd phrasing for it, when something like “so that I may lay again the Foundation of Christ” would be more appropriate.

Is there some nuance I’m missing in the lectio?

I read this on wikipedia:

James suffered martyrdom[Acts 12:1-2] in AD 44. According to the tradition of the early Church, he had not yet left Jerusalem at this time.[8] St Paul, however, in his Epistle to the Romans written after AD 44, expressed his intention to avoid “building on someone else’s foundation”,[Rom. 15:20] by visiting Spain[Rom. 15:23][15:24], suggesting that he knew of previous evangelization in Hispania.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James,_son_of_Zebedee

Tradition suggests that St. James the Apostle preached the Gospel in Spain.

However, I think St. Paul is referring to Peter in Romans 15:20. Paul is speaking to the Romans, and Peter founded the see of Rome, where “Christ was already named”.

So to answer your above post, I would say that yes St. Paul is referring to another fellow apostle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.