Built on the rock

Was just feeling a bit better, a bit less afriad than usual the other day so I thought I might share this, if anyone wants to read.

While on a walk for no reason at all I recalled a bit of Scripture - something about, The wise man builds his house on rock, and then the rains pelt on it and the winds blow but the house doesn’t fall. (While the foolish man builds his house on sand and then when the rain and wind come the house falls).

I suppose the rock is the Catholic Church - we are really solid and united in what we believe (unlike some other religions where different countries all have different ‘versions’ of the religion) and Jesus said that the Church will last forever and the gates of hell won’t prevail against it. Then I also suppose that people who don’t build on this rock sometimes get their house blown down by the water and wind and have to rebuild. They are always searching for a better place to build and won’t be happy until they find the rock. But once someone builds on the rock then they will never have to move house again.

I reckon that I have built my house on the rock. I’ve been Catholic all my life and even though there have been some winds and things, doubts and hard times and people trying to convert me, I’ve still stayed Catholic. I now feel safe here and I think I’ll stay. Let the JW’s, LDS’s, “bible Christians” and other strange religious people come. Let the difficulties come, if they must. I’m not so afriad any more. Wind blows and rain pelts down and the house stays standing.

[quote=Flopfoot]Was just feeling a bit better, a bit less afriad than usual the other day so I thought I might share this, if anyone wants to read.

While on a walk for no reason at all I recalled a bit of Scripture - something about, The wise man builds his house on rock, and then the rains pelt on it and the winds blow but the house doesn’t fall. (While the foolish man builds his house on sand and then when the rain and wind come the house falls).

I suppose the rock is the Catholic Church - we are really solid and united in what we believe (unlike some other religions where different countries all have different ‘versions’ of the religion) and Jesus said that the Church will last forever and the gates of hell won’t prevail against it. Then I also suppose that people who don’t build on this rock sometimes get their house blown down by the water and wind and have to rebuild. They are always searching for a better place to build and won’t be happy until they find the rock. But once someone builds on the rock then they will never have to move house again.

I reckon that I have built my house on the rock. I’ve been Catholic all my life and even though there have been some winds and things, doubts and hard times and people trying to convert me, I’ve still stayed Catholic. I now feel safe here and I think I’ll stay. Let the JW’s, LDS’s, “bible Christians” and other strange religious people come. Let the difficulties come, if they must. I’m not so afriad any more. Wind blows and rain pelts down and the house stays standing.
[/quote]

That middle paragraph is awesome. Profound – people getting washed out and having to start over, searching…

I like to say, Catholic may not be the only way, but it definitely is the best way. I sometimes think some other religions take a sort of pride in being non-Catholic. A sort of underdog mentality like people who cheer for anyone against the Yankees, or Canadiens, or Leafs.

I also sometimes think some people believe that if so many people are Catholic, it can’t be the right religion because the bible says only a few will make it. But believe me, I’m Catholic and sometimes the I think the only way I have any legitimate hope is if God gives me the grace of having confession just before I croak…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.