OF THE EXTRAORDINARY
JUBILEE OF MERCY

FRANCIS
BISHOP OF ROME
SERVANT OF THE SERVANTS OF GOD
TO ALL WHO READ THIS LETTER
GRACE, MERCY, AND PEACE

Read it here:

w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/apost_letters/documents/papa-francesco_bolla_20150411_misericordiae-vultus.html

Multimedia
w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/events/event.dir.html/content/vaticanevents/en/2015/4/11/bollagiubileomisericordia.html

Is there a discussion about this someplace on CAF?

I find it shocking that there are three threads in this section about this Mercy Bull and not one comment. :slight_smile:

:confused:

I think this is wonderful! Was the last one in 2000? I remember planning vacations around pilgrimage sites for that year.

I will see how much I can squeeze in starting this Christmas. I need all the mercy I can get. From the bull:

Let us not fall into humiliating indifference or a monotonous routine that prevents us from discovering what is new! Let us ward off destructive cynicism!

Uh, yes. I know this is a ways off, and maybe that is why the silence is deafening, but I do think this presents an opportunity for interior conversion, perhaps to rethink our routines. I would hope in a few months we can approach this topic with some concrete ideas to share on how we might take this as an opportunity to become the saints we all want to be.

You are right,Lormar!
Let us walk through that door this year together. :slight_smile:

“May the message of mercy reach everyone, and may no one be indifferent to the call to experience mercy.”

From bull…

Thank you Pope Francis for the year of mercy the Lord knows I need it…

I’m filled with joyful anticipation for the Holy year. I hope that it really changes us as a people and not just as a Catholic people but as a global people. I hope that we people of the world, stop using the word and concept of ‘karma’ all time as a response to the sinners among us and universally embrace merciful justice. I was really heartened to read paragraph 20…

1. It would not be out of place at this point to recall the relationship between justice and mercy. These are not two contradictory realities, but two dimensions of a single reality that unfolds progressively until it culminates in the fullness of love. Justice is a fundamental concept for civil society, which is meant to be governed by the rule of law. Justice is also understood as that which is rightly due to each individual. In the Bible, there are many references to divine justice and to God as “judge”. In these passages, justice is understood as the full observance of the Law and the behaviour of every good Israelite in conformity with God’s commandments. Such a vision, however, has not infrequently led to legalism by distorting the original meaning of justice and obscuring its profound value. To overcome this legalistic perspective, we need to recall that in Sacred Scripture, justice is conceived essentially as the faithful abandonment of oneself to God’s will.

For his part, Jesus speaks several times of the importance of faith over and above the observance of the law. It is in this sense that we must understand his words when, reclining at table with Matthew and other tax collectors and sinners, he says to the Pharisees raising objections to him, “Go and learn the meaning of ‘I desire mercy not sacrifice.’ I have come not to call the righteous, but sinners.” (Mt 9:13). Faced with a vision of justice as the mere observance of the law that judges people simply by dividing them into two groups – the just and sinners – Jesus is bent on revealing the great gift of mercy that searches out sinners and offers them pardon and salvation. One can see why, on the basis of such a liberating vision of mercy as a source of new life, Jesus was rejected by the Pharisees and the other teachers of the law. In an attempt to remain faithful to the law, they merely placed burdens on the shoulders of others and undermined the Father’s mercy. The appeal to a faithful observance of the law must not prevent attention from being given to matters that touch upon the dignity of the person.

The appeal Jesus makes to the text from the book of the prophet Hosea – “I desire love and not sacrifice” (6:6) – is important in this regard. Jesus affirms that, from that time onward, the rule of life for his disciples must place mercy at the centre, as Jesus himself demonstrated by sharing meals with sinners. Mercy, once again, is revealed as a fundamental aspect of Jesus’ mission. This is truly challenging to his hearers, who would draw the line at a formal respect for the law. Jesus, on the other hand, goes beyond the law; the company he keeps with those the law considers sinners makes us realize the depth of his mercy.

I do believe this has great (and possibly prophetic) meaning. Pope Francis has stressed God’s Mercy throughout his Papacy, and this decision seems to alignment with that. I cannot help but think of Pope Saint Paul II and his great love for Saint Faustina and the words she received from Jesus–she was to prepare the way for the Lord’s Second Coming and to begin a feast day in honor of God’s Great Mercy. We are living in the Day of Mercy and this day will be followed by the Day of God’s Justice. Huge stuff, imo.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.