Bulldozer Faith?

Anyone have experience with this anti-Catholic group bulldozerfaith.com

Some of the writings and beliefs of this group are troubling.

My sister, who was born and raised Catholic, left the church many years ago. She and her husband, I thought were practicing some sort of Protestant Christianity. But she posted something on Facebook today about “questioning truth” which led me to the website linked above. After visiting the website, I commented to my sister that this guy is a heretic and lost, and prayed for them to seek Truth and pray they find their way home. That ended up recieving a reply from not only my sister, but the leader of this group Kenneth Russell. Here’s his entire comment to me:

“Hi Gary - my focus is to teach the scriptures over traditions and yea “a heretic” in the form of “going against the norm”! Following Yeshua means to go against the flow. We have to test what we believe by scripture. So don’t be afraid when a teaching exposes a belief but test it to scripture. I confess I am a heretic against Constantine Catholicism have a blessed day and I hope you remember the 4th commandment today and keep the Sabbath day Holy!”

My response to him “1 Cor 11:2 hold fast to traditions I handed on to you, 2 Thes 2:15 hold fast to traditions, whether oral or by letter, 2 Thes 3:6 shun those acting not according to tradition, Jn 21:25 not everything Jesus said recorded in Scripture, Rom 10:17 faith comes from what is heard. And I could go on and on. So do you teach that part of the scripture? Or this: St Athanasius (ad 360) said “let us note that the very tradition, teaching, and faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning, which the Lord gave, was preached by the Apostles, and was preserved by the Fathers. On this was the church founded; and if anyone departs from this, he neither is nor any longer ought to be called a Christian…” from Four Letters to Serapion of Thmius 1, 28. And so I guess it’s OK for your followers to listen to the words of you (a man), interpreted by you, (a man) by your own authority and private revelation?”

I don’t think this group is the run of the mill sola scriptura Christians, but something else? Can anyone help enlighten me what my sister and her husband are involved with. I’m worried for her. Thanks!

At the invitation of a Jewish acquaintance of mine, I once attended a “Messianic” Jewish Sunday service. It was an interesting blend of traditional Judaism and Pentecostal Protestant “liturgies” This sounds like some version of it, with the Pentecostal protestant "claims"of SS being rehashed and rewarmed as new and insightful criticism of the CC. We’ve heard it all before.

If your sister and husband are investigating or involved with this, I think it would be not much different that them leaving the CC and joining a Pentecostal ministry. Just another attack on the church and its teaching by picking and choosing their criticisms to suit their objectives. If that bothers you, I’d suggest prayer and some good apologetic works by the many fine apologists available to you. I know it would bother me and I’d read everything I can to counter the “truth” you are going to be exposed to by this Russell character and you sis and BIL as they expound on the new “truths” they have discovered.

Shalom .

Thanks Brother. Was able to do a little more research today and pretty much as you described and even more “out there” in the fact they don’t believe in the Christian version of Jesus, don’t believe in celebrating Christmas or Easter as we do because they’re Pagan holidays believe Yeshua (to distinguish and separate themselves from us “Constantine” (their term, not mine) Christians) was crucified on Wed, not on Good Friday to make their version of 3 days/nights work, etc., etc. if anyone wants to practice some good apologetics, read some of their tracts and lies and anti-Catholic rhetoric. In one artcile, they even refer to Protestants as red-headed step children of Catholics. Please pray for them and my sister and my BIL.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.