Bullet Points on Scott Hahn's Eucharist Explained

Hello,

I have spent the past several days slowly trying to digest a YouTube video called “Understanding the Eucharist by Scott Hahn”. It is a little over an hour long, but took me several days full of distractions, pausing, rewinding, replaying, etc., in addition to the fact that it is brimming with information that could possibly take me the rest of my life to truly comprehend.

I was wondering if there was any chance anyone would have bullet points from this talk, or if they know where I might find some. I think (I hope) there might be a simpler way of explaining this. Scott Hahn often goes over my head, and this talk is particularly full of details. I am not seeing all of the connections I think he is trying to draw.

Thank you~

I’m not aware of any study notes for this talk and I searched his website and did not see anything.

salvationhistory.com/

You may be interested in this book though…

Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist by Brant Pitre

ignatius.com/Products/JJRE-H/jesus-and-the-jewish-roots-of-the-eucharist.aspx

It may cover the same material.

I agree, that once Dr. Hahn gets started, you might as well reep the rewind button handy. His best talk, imo, is his conversion tape put out by the Mary Foundation. Having said this, go to

lighthousecatholicmedia.org/store/speaker/dr-scott-hahn?gclid=CIyqsrqjib4CFS1eOgodHgoAEw

this is Lighthouse Catholic Media with a listing of all of his products and there are several concerning the Eucharist.

Come on home.

He is very deep but hang onto that tape as you may one day understand him. God Bless, Memaw

Have you read The Lamb’s Supper by Scott Hahn? You’ll find it to be avery accessible study of the Eucharist.

Yes, this a really good book.
Also, see
zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~vgg/rc/aplgtc/hahn/m4/ech.html

Thank you all for your responses.

I have read the Lamb’s Supper, but not since it was first published. Thank you, RCbkr, for that recommendation.

I have heard his conversion, getysbg, but again, it has been many years, and at the time I heard it, I knew nothing of non-Catholic beliefs. Thank you for the suggestion.

Memaw, if I can’t find a simplified version, I will definitely try to do it myself. I will probably post it too for some criticism.

johnnyc176, I will get a copy of that - thank you very much. Throughout much of his talk I wondered about a woman that I used to see on EWTN who was a convert from Judaism. Again, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen her, so I’m not sure how to find her talks - I don’t even remember her name. I want to say Marilyn Ross, but I’m not finding her in a google search…

One of my biggest stumbling blocks, as a Catholic, in Scripture, has been the book of Hebrews, and Scott Hahn did an amazing job at explaining all of my objections in that book - from Chapter 5 to 10. Very eye-opening. It’s going to take several more sessions listening to this to make it sink in. I’d say he spends probably most of the last half of his 1 hr talk on Hebrews. I am familiar with most of the arguments pertaining to John 6 and 1 Corinthians 11, and don’t find those as persuasive as tying it all to Hebrews and the sacrifices in the Old Testament (at least for me…).

And, getysbg, thank you - I am back “home” at this time (since last week), living the Sacramental life again, and finally addressing some of the more complicated issues I’ve had with Scripture. My problem is I see Catholicism with my heart, but not with my mind. Admittedly, my faith in Christ in general has suffered, at times, due to my skepticism. My rejection to Catholicism is just a sliver away from Atheism in that respect.

It is refreshing to find deep, intelligent arguments for the faith (not that this is the only one…). Experientially, Catholicism has proven itself. Prayerfully, Catholicism has been the direction I am led to time and time again. I have a few stumbling blocks to remove as far as my understanding (It’s in my heart, but not in my head). I guess that is a good thing in a way, except: “Be ready to give an account for the hope that is in you” (1Peter 3:15). I associate with many non-Catholics, from Messianic Jews, to Baptists, to Mennonites. Unless I am going to shut them all out of my life, I need to “be ready”. Association with so many anti-Catholic people has also had its influence. My own faith is not going to survive without knowing how to use the “sword” (Word/Scripture).

Bless you~

Wow, very nice - never seen this one. Thank you, JohnR77.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.