Bumpersticker question...

Okay, on the way home I was at a red light, behind a car with three bumperstickers…“My Other Car is a Broom”, “Witches Heal”, and the one that puzzled me, “Adam was a Divorcee, Lillith came before Eve”.

So, I was wondering…what’s that all about? I’m guessing it’s the Wiccan belief…but I really don’t know why somebody’d make that claim? This is one of those things that will probably keep me awake at night until I find out :slight_smile: Any info you have would be nice. Thanks!

It sounds like whoever had those bumper stickers was a Lesbian Wiccan.

“Lilith came before Eve” ?

Kinda like Adam and ‘Steve’. perhaps.

Almost forgot…on a serious note.

Lilith (Hebrew לילית) is a mythological female Mesopotamian storm demon associated with wind and was thought to be a bearer of disease, illness, and death. The figure of Lilith first appeared in a class of wind and storm demons or spirits as Lilitu, in Sumer, circa 3000 BC. Many scholars place the origin of the phonetic name “Lilith” at somewhere around 700 BC.[1] Lilith appears as a night demon in Jewish lore and as a screech owl in the King James version of the Bible. She is also apocryphally the first wife of Adam.

Whoever was in that car is most definately some kind of pagean or magik practicer.

The answer is simple. Paganism and witchcraft are, on many occasions if not all, associated with the Occult. The Occult is of Satan. Need I say more of the master of deception, the Prince of Lies, and the Devil in front of your eyes.

It is New Age Goddess propaganda - the whole Neo - Pagan/ Wicca, what ever you want to call it, it is a rejection of Judea-Christian morality and they are rebelling against the patriarchal idea of God -

The name Lilith is derived from the Assyrian-Babylonian word LILITU, meaning “wind spirit”. In ancient times we find the hypothesis of an invisible earth satellite known as Nephtys, to which Pitagora gave the name “Anti-Earth”. This heavenly body, which absorbs and doesn’t reflect sunlight, is the one who better represents the archetype of Lilith, the provocative and lustful creature, who rebels against the first man by copulating with demons and forcing Jahvé to create Eve. Since then until today, the image of “negative” feminine is part of every civilization: evil goddesses, pythonesses, necromancers, sorceresses, soothsayers and witches, who generally were ugly and bad, but also satanic charmers, able to push a man to perdition. In this way sexuality became synonymous with sin, dirty thing, loss of reason! That’s why the “obscure side” of our erotic charge finds in the Black Moon, known by everybody as Lilith, the reference star and protecting goddess.

[quote][FONT=Arial]Lilith

** (Hebrew לילית) is a mythological female Mesopotamian storm demon associated with wind and was thought to be a bearer of disease, illness, and death. The figure of Lilith first appeared in a class of wind and storm demons or spirits as Lilitu, in Sumer, circa 3000 BC. Many scholars place the origin of the phonetic name “Lilith” at somewhere around 700 BC.[1] Lilith appears as a night demon in Jewish lore and as a screech owl in the King James version of the Bible. She is also apocryphally the first wife of Adam.[/FONT]

[/quote]

I would link the article but their is artwork is questionable and inappropriate

Say a prayer to St Michael and sleep tight.

I remeber reading somewhere that according to that folklore, Lilith was jealous of Eve because of her offspring and would strangle children in their sleep… How morbid…

There’s a good reason it’s nothing more than apocryphal.

Thanks so much! That was…interesting…about Lilith. I said the Hail Mary when I saw that, praying that whoever was driving it might be “enlightened” someday. The trouble is the car was a minivan. So, I really hope s/he doesn’t have children so not to bring them up like that. :frowning:

And a few months ago, along the same route home, there was a sedan with similar bumperstickers. So, I’m thinking either a family or a coven lives near me. :frowning: “No Goddess, No Peace, Know Goddess, Know Peace”, etc. Just really sad, but I’m glad I know more about those bumper sticker claims…

Anyway, thanks :slight_smile:

Glad I could help:)

So sad to hear that about Lilith - I’ve always loved that name. :frowning:

~Liza

There’s nothing wrong with the name- Being named Adam doesn’t mean anything, either.

Besides, if Adam had been “divorced,” why didn’t God give him yet another wife when Eve went and ate the apple?

Remember friend. Most Pagans are cowards, you rattle the saber at the just a little and they retreat, so you need not fear them.

Just put up this fact in your adoration chamber and get some mates to pray the a full rosary with you (15 or 20 whichever you consider a full rosary I don’t think it matters either way).

From experience I can tell you the effects are NOT pleasant on a covens working.

Interesting note. Wiccans claim to not worship Satan. Yet Lilith is considered Satans bride in all Satanic circles and a demon. Look it up there’s very little good about her from any point of view.

Even from a secular point of view. All Lilith did “good” was refuse to obey that’s it. The rest of her actions are murders and rapes.

This is one case they can’t deny worshiping demons.

So that all makes me wonder about those Lilith fares

or is it related?

Also whats apocryphal?

:slight_smile:

Just dont get LW mixed up with JW :slight_smile:

Well, not really very Wiccan - at least not the puzzling one.
That refers to the Jewish legend that Lillith was the first wife of adam, made from the dust just as was adam. However, the tale is that lillith refused to subordinate herself to adam - specifically that she refused to lie beneath him for sexual union. Thus she was rejected by adam, and became a demon who strangles children in the cradle.

The sexual independence of lillith in this tale has made her a popular figure among some ‘women’s religion’ types, and she has been misidentified as a goddess. There was never an ancient goddess lillith, and that name plays no part in traditional wicca, either.

That bumper sticker just means to ‘bumper stick’ it to biblicists who might see it. It really has nothing to do with wicca or any serious neopagan ideas. Bumper stickers, after all, are traditionally provocative and in-yer-face.
Ian

You probably know more about the myth in its various forms than I do, Ian, but I’m nigh-positive I read that Lilith was a spirit or jinn. Care to clarify? Thanks :slight_smile:

Yes, in medieval jewish lore she’s a demon who kills children in the crib, and/or acts as a succubus seducing men. One version of the legend warned men not to sleep alone in a house, for fear of lillith’s depredations.

Didn’t I say that?
Ian

Yeah, but you mentioned she was created from the dust like Adam. I knew about the succubus/demon myth, but I seem to recall her not being made the same way Adam was.

edit: oh okay, that’d be because I read Arabic sources on her origin. My mistake :slight_smile:

I believe it was in the Sefer ha-Zohar, one of the major medieval Kabbalistic collections, that Lilith was mentioned as Adam’s wife. She was supposed to have given birth to all the demons. I could be mistaken.

There is a Jewish midrash regarding Lillith being the first wife of Adam as the prior poster stated.

ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Topics/Lilith/alphabet.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.